Join Early Retirement Today

So coupons do really add up
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So coupons do really add up

I had never really thought too much about coupons. At this time i'm dating someone fairly new and she is into this. Anyways as an example we just went and "purchased" 3 cans of gillete shaving cream, 3 deodorants (some female brand) and 3 other cans of female shaving cream. Anyways for all this we had a $5, $9 and $5 coupon that came in the paper as long as you purchased multiples of these products.

We coordinated use of these with in store sales and all told we were OWED $3.13 and had to buy some gum to get to get above $0 as the store's policy is not to reimburse money. Now granted this is probably not a typical coupon clipping exercise but there is a site i follow with "strategies" on this and many on there are saving significant $$$$. It does take work though and most have binders keeping track of all their coupons which they use in conjunction with store sales. Anyone else have similar success stories?
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep..I'm a coupon user and have been for a few years. I check the sale ad, then select the proper coupons. So far this year, I've saved $267.

Of course I get the grocery store card so that I get the item sale price and save an additional $1700 a year.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've been going online and printing my own coupons from various sites like www.ecoupon.com
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Now granted this is probably not a typical coupon clipping exercise but there is a site i follow with "strategies" on this and many on there are saving significant $$$$.

Which site do you follow?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can we have the names of the store and/or products involved, so we can sell our stock?
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been using coupons, matching the sales prices and different store promotions, sending in for rebates, giving away extras to friends and woman shelter PLUS selling extras at the local Flea Market for my own grocery money!!
This has worked out for me very nicely. I love to shop!!
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Of course I get the grocery store card so that I get the item sale price and save an additional $1700 a year.
It chaps me you have to carry around a darn card to get the sale price advertised. I do it because I would be crazy not to, but I shop at other stores mostly that have no such thing. Others must feel the same way I do as the Winn Dixie Store close to my house went out of business not long ago. And it was a fairly new store. But Walmart and a generic grocery store did them in.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

We have been coupon clipping and taking advantage of store specials for awhile . It has drastically cut our grocery bill. Especially if the item is on buy one get one free and we also have a coupon .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Walgreens is having a one-day event today(12-1-10).
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
It chaps me you have to carry around a darn card to get the sale price advertised. I do it because I would be crazy not to, but I shop at other stores mostly that have no such thing. Others must feel the same way I do as the Winn Dixie Store close to my house went out of business not long ago. And it was a fairly new store. But Walmart and a generic grocery store did them in.
Often these stores (and specifically Winn Dixie down here) have a tiny version of the card available that fits on your keyring. That helps, and it might be worth checking into whether they have them. But I do agree that it's pretty silly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

The card is necessary so they can track what you purchase.
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have done this at a grocery store that keeps sending me $10 off $40 every week. Combine that with doubling coupons up to $2, and buy one get one free or buy 1 get 2 free, and sometimes I can walk out with a handful of free items, and a bunch of other stuff that is 30-40% less than walmart's prices, and $10 off all that to boot.

A coworker does Rite-Aid deals like the OP mentioned. Free stuff or very nearly free stuff, sometimes cash back stuff. But it sounds really complicated and time consuming. I imagine the "return per hour invested" is not that great. Clipping coupons, organizing your shopping raid, then having the cashier ring up 5 separate orders isn't my favorite way to save $15-20 vs prices at walmart, especially if store brands are available.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
The card is necessary so they can track what you purchase.
Why do they care what "I" purchase? I don't receive any specific rebate offers. Just normal ads that everyone else receive in the mail. And they should be able to tell what is sold to our specific area through sales recaps from their registers.

Here's another reason I hate the cards........

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post608912
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I hate the discount cards also.... and avoid the stores that have them as much as possible... but, I still use them when it is convenient.... they don't know who I am as I never sent in their application...

As for coupons... I have two sisters who have done this before... back when they had double and triple coupons.... one of my sisters had $300 of groceries and paid a few dollars... my other one (IIRC) had about $200 and got money back (this before they changed their rules)...

I can not get my wife to use them at all... but she is into fresh foods and they do not have coupons for them....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Every time I take a second look at coupons, I find that they are usually for name-brand stuff. Often the store brand is cheaper, or I can find a cheaper alternative.

Also, I've never seen a double- or triple-coupon offer around here.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

When gathering coupons, I think it's very helpful to only get the ones that are for something you planned to buy anyway (and for the same brand, I agree, Al). Otherwise there is a risk of spending more, not less, with coupons.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

My favorite grocery store frequently runs buy one get one free specials plus they honor competitors coupons so if a competitor sends me a $10 off $50 coupon they will honor it . That is when I'll stock up on essentials such as coffee & laundry detergent . My grocery bill for two with all meals has been shaved from $100 a week to $70 . That includes paper goods and toothpaste and cleaning supplies .We do eat out once a week but other than that we eat all our meals at home and it's not rice & beans .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Why do they care what "I" purchase? I don't receive any specific rebate offers. Just normal ads that everyone else receive in the mail. And they should be able to tell what is sold to our specific area through sales recaps from their registers.

Here's another reason I hate the cards........

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post608912
That's a shame Dawg.

I shop at Kroger, get the double and triple coupon deal and yes I use my Kroger card for the sale items. They do track my purchases...and send a packet of coupons to me about every three months or so on items I purchase.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #19

I don't use the cards either. I am waiting for the companies to sell the info to health or life insurance companies. You can bet your rates will go up if they see you buy a 30pack of Busch every day, or a box of twinkies.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #20

And if you get the Kroger branded MasterCard, it has your shopper number (I think they call it Kroger Pluss) right there on the card -- no need for a separate shopper card. We use Kroger, but you have to shop on price. A box of Shredded Wheat at Kroger is $4, but WalMart has it for $3, so we occasionally experience the humanity at the nation's largest retailer for certain items.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote