Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You understand why some of us assume otherwise, right? We are supposedly still in one of those 17-18 secular bear cycles (2000 - 2017 or thereabouts) and during these long cycles stock markets tend to go sideways or drop, not gain in real terms like charts that cover secular bull periods (like the red line for 1982-1999).

Audrey
I kind of apply the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to markets. Too many moving parts to compute any outcome beyond the current market prices. Still I enjoy future prognostications from knowledgeable sources ... but try to remind myself they don't have a crystal ball.

Not sure I can buy that anyone can identify a secular market (defined here: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/secularmarket.as ). Of course, we can all label periods that have past.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's why I use qualifiers like "supposedly" and stick to my "all weather" investing strategy i.e. rebalance back to a fixed AA occasionally.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
I haven't seen that acronym used like that.

I had to figure it out, I'm guessing you meant "good for you"?

I've always seen it as "go * yourself"

Of course it's "good for you"?

I only curse at people IRL (and run real fast )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My total portfolio is 3.25X higher than it was in March '09. I'm still in accumulation mode and piling as much money in as I can, but it still amazes me that I have that much more in under 3 years.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #25

I am also in the accumulation phase and I guess my portfolio is about twice as large as what it was in 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My total portfolio is 3.25X higher than it was in March '09. I'm still in accumulation mode and piling as much money in as I can, but it still amazes me that I have that much more in under 3 years.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am also in the accumulation phase and I guess my portfolio is about twice as large as what it was in 2009.
For YE 2009 to 02/03/12, with no cash added or taken and taxes paid from sources outside the portfolio, our portfolio value is up 16.42%.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #27

I should add that the way I calculated my portfolio value / net worth was different than today's way. Since I joined this website a year or two ago, I have been learning about the NPV of pensions, etc which are now factored in my calculations.
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I should add that the way I calculated my portfolio value / net worth was different than today's way. Since I joined this website a year or two ago, I have been learning about the NPV of pensions, etc which are now factored in my calculations.
NPVs of pensions may be nice to include in net worth calculations but since I am retired I do not include them nor any other asset that's unlikely to be sold or otherwise actively managed in my investment portfolio performance monitoring. In some respects I consider my pensions to be a revenue complement to sunk costs.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #29

After reading a few posts on this topic on this website, I decided to include the NPV of my pension benefit but not the NPV of my SS benefit. My calculations may change again in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
NPVs of pensions may be nice to include in net worth calculations but since I am retired I do not include them nor any other asset that's unlikely to be sold or otherwise actively managed in my investment portfolio performance monitoring.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
After reading a few posts on this topic on this website, I decided to include the NPV of my pension benefit but not the NPV of my SS benefit. My calculations may change again in the future...
In most instances I guess you could consider it to be a very fixed component of your fixed asset allocation. Of course you could have 'fun' recalculating it with different discount rates and changing years-to-go based on changes to life expectancies.