So I cross the line... Should I tell others?

Toocold

Full time employment: Posting here.
In a recent MegaCorp reorg, my position was eliminated and I was given a nice package to leave the company. I've been working on my FI plans for almost a decade now, so this was a very welcomed and hoped outcome. :dance:

I am planning to tell my and DW's immediate family. Yesterday, I was meeting with my friends and I was torn on whether to say something. I decided to not mention it for fear any unnecessary reactions.

For those who finally pulled the trigger, how did you handle this? And did others react the way you thought they would? Also, I haven't hit 50, if age plays a role in this.

Last edited:
Congrats.
I let close friends and relatives know I was retired. Casual friends were just told I had left Mega. I did look for some work in unrelated areas and found nothing, so it was both true.

It's really not a secret you can keep for very long, and you can't control how others react.

Best to just let people know.

I had the exact same situation. My family already knew my plans to ER and hopes that I would have a package so it was not a surprise and they congratulated me.

Close friends same. If you don't think they'd be happy for you and positive about it, maybe they aren't close enough to know.

Anyone outside that group? nunya...

My take is that this is their problem not mine.

It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans. It is not something over which we have any control so why sweat the small stuff.

Depends on how close the friends are. I probably would. If you're worried about unnecessary reactions, better for you to tell the story and control the narrative. They'll find out anyway, and there will be speculation on why you didn't say anything. "Must've been something bad..."

If you really care what casual "friends" think then just tell them you were let go or left as part of recent reorg and now taking time off to explore options. After a while their figure it out.....

You are planning to tell your wife? Don't you think she should be part of the decision process? As far as anyone else, I wouldn't concern myself with what they think. You have your life to live and they have theirs. Seriously, how much thought do you really give to how others live their lives? People really don't think about others as much as we would like to think they do.

You are planning to tell your wife? People really don't think about others as much as we would like to think they do.

OP said "DW's family".

Ah. So he did. My apologies.

Edited to add: I see that the OP edited his original post. I am pretty certain that the original post said he was planning to tell DW and has since been edited to say DW's family. I read it more than once, so I am really pretty sure I didn't read it wrong every time.

Last edited:
Ah. So he did. My apologies.

I read it the same way at first, which lead me to think the OP hadn’t actually left work yet, which was why there was a question. Once I left work, I didn’t care who knew. I’d tell people I care about right away. Others as it came up.

Like all things, you can either tell them and they hear the truth about what happened and most will be happy, many will be envious... or you don't say anything, people will gossip, who knows what stories will come out.

Ok people will always gossip but at least no one is worrying about the fact you can't find a job. I told my close inner circle and I assumed it will just trickle out as it usually does. 5 years later I still get a lot of pings on my LinkedIn where I think people are just curious if I really really retired, if you are under 50 that is probably the most likely outcome. People will be happy for you but skeptical that it will really work out.

Definitely tell your families first so they don't hear it from your friends (hey it could happen). Celebrate it with them. I don't know what "unnecessary reactions" from your friends would be, but it's your life, your decisions, not theirs; if they're not thrilled for you, that's okay.

You didn't mention your age though I don't think that really matters. I'm not sure what the hesitation is in telling others your situation. I was laid off twice during tough economic times early in my career and also retired early. In all those instances I informed my family and friends pretty early on.

Your job was eliminated... Not your fault and it sounds like that's what you wanted anyway. I wouldn't brag about it to them but I'd tell them in "it's a matter of fact" way. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about what others say or think anyway. YMMV. At your age they may be curious if you are going to look for work somewhere else so I'd be ready for that question.

Last edited:
Since you essentially got fired with a golden parachute, play the victim. Look real sad and ask if anyone knows who is hiring, like Walmart greeters, for example. Wear your oldest clothes when you go out.

Schedule a month long trip to Hawaii "to look for work".

My take is that this is their problem not mine.

It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans. It is not something over which we have any control so why sweat the small stuff.

+1

Well said

It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans.

+1. I guess if you are the kind of person who constantly frets about what others think about you, then this is another example of that. But I would think that most people who have planned for FI, are not that kind of person.

Best way:

Hey everyone, I got fired, really strapped for cash. Going to start a Go Fund Me page..please consider helping if you can during this trying time.

Problem solved.

I decided to RE at 47 from mega Corp. I am uncomfortable telling people because the reactions are mixed and usually not simply congrat’s. Skepticism, judgement, jealousy, most common. I’ve slow rolled it. I’m honest and try to be humble but keep conversation short. It’s a surreal transition for me. I suppose others need time to process and believe it as well.

In a recent MegaCorp reorg, my position was eliminated and I was given a nice package to leave the company.

Same here. We were acquired and I was part of the senior "redundant team".

DW's sisters were visiting us in Paris when I found out for certain. Over lunch at a sidewalk cafe I told them that "the company has been acquired and I've decided to cash out rather than join the new outfit". (the word "decided" was the only fib)

Over and out. They knew that we were already well-resourced so retiring at 52 wasn't something where they'd wonder how we'd get by.

I told my mother prior to my early retirement. I told my siblings after I retired when I first saw them in person. I didn't want to call them or create an email/message just for the purpose of telling them this news. I told my closest 2 friends in advance of it happening. I told a small handful of other friends after it was announced at work. The news is slowly leaking out to the others via various comments on Facebook from my family and friends. I never actually have "announced" on Facebook that "I am retired". My 5 weeks of travel this year has clued in most people, I think.

Back
Top Bottom