Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

So I cross the line... Should I tell others?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

In a recent MegaCorp reorg, my position was eliminated and I was given a nice package to leave the company. I've been working on my FI plans for almost a decade now, so this was a very welcomed and hoped outcome.

I am planning to tell my and DW's immediate family. Yesterday, I was meeting with my friends and I was torn on whether to say something. I decided to not mention it for fear any unnecessary reactions.

For those who finally pulled the trigger, how did you handle this? And did others react the way you thought they would? Also, I haven't hit 50, if age plays a role in this.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats.
I let close friends and relatives know I was retired. Casual friends were just told I had left Mega. I did look for some work in unrelated areas and found nothing, so it was both true.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

It's really not a secret you can keep for very long, and you can't control how others react.

Best to just let people know.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #4

I had the exact same situation. My family already knew my plans to ER and hopes that I would have a package so it was not a surprise and they congratulated me.

Close friends same. If you don't think they'd be happy for you and positive about it, maybe they aren't close enough to know.

Anyone outside that group? nunya...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My take is that this is their problem not mine.

It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans. It is not something over which we have any control so why sweat the small stuff.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Depends on how close the friends are. I probably would. If you're worried about unnecessary reactions, better for you to tell the story and control the narrative. They'll find out anyway, and there will be speculation on why you didn't say anything. "Must've been something bad..."
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
+1

I was outta sh*ts to give when it came to what others might think of my retirement.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

If you really care what casual "friends" think then just tell them you were let go or left as part of recent reorg and now taking time off to explore options. After a while their figure it out.....
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #9

You are planning to tell your wife? Don't you think she should be part of the decision process? As far as anyone else, I wouldn't concern myself with what they think. You have your life to live and they have theirs. Seriously, how much thought do you really give to how others live their lives? People really don't think about others as much as we would like to think they do.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
You are planning to tell your wife? People really don't think about others as much as we would like to think they do.
OP said "DW's family".
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

Ah. So he did. My apologies.

Edited to add: I see that the OP edited his original post. I am pretty certain that the original post said he was planning to tell DW and has since been edited to say DW's family. I read it more than once, so I am really pretty sure I didn't read it wrong every time.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Ah. So he did. My apologies.
I read it the same way at first, which lead me to think the OP hadn’t actually left work yet, which was why there was a question. Once I left work, I didn’t care who knew. I’d tell people I care about right away. Others as it came up.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

Like all things, you can either tell them and they hear the truth about what happened and most will be happy, many will be envious... or you don't say anything, people will gossip, who knows what stories will come out.

Ok people will always gossip but at least no one is worrying about the fact you can't find a job. I told my close inner circle and I assumed it will just trickle out as it usually does. 5 years later I still get a lot of pings on my LinkedIn where I think people are just curious if I really really retired, if you are under 50 that is probably the most likely outcome. People will be happy for you but skeptical that it will really work out.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely tell your families first so they don't hear it from your friends (hey it could happen). Celebrate it with them. I don't know what "unnecessary reactions" from your friends would be, but it's your life, your decisions, not theirs; if they're not thrilled for you, that's okay.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

You didn't mention your age though I don't think that really matters. I'm not sure what the hesitation is in telling others your situation. I was laid off twice during tough economic times early in my career and also retired early. In all those instances I informed my family and friends pretty early on.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Your job was eliminated... Not your fault and it sounds like that's what you wanted anyway. I wouldn't brag about it to them but I'd tell them in "it's a matter of fact" way. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about what others say or think anyway. YMMV. At your age they may be curious if you are going to look for work somewhere else so I'd be ready for that question.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Since you essentially got fired with a golden parachute, play the victim. Look real sad and ask if anyone knows who is hiring, like Walmart greeters, for example. Wear your oldest clothes when you go out.

Schedule a month long trip to Hawaii "to look for work".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:

It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans. It is not something over which we have any control so why sweat the small stuff.
+1

Well said
nancyfrank232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It is unclear to why some people are so concerned about what others may think about their early retirement plans.
+1. I guess if you are the kind of person who constantly frets about what others think about you, then this is another example of that. But I would think that most people who have planned for FI, are not that kind of person.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Best way:

Hey everyone, I got fired, really strapped for cash. Going to start a Go Fund Me page..please consider helping if you can during this trying time.

Problem solved.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote