So many calculators, so little time

Haha-

Reading your comments on being "poor" resonated with me. I had a friend who for a time was very down on his luck and the singular observation he made was that "being poor was a lot of hard work" to survive. Thankfully his situation has turned around...

Great, great post! I added a few things, though everyone may know them already.
4. Build yourself a barebones budget-- the absolute minimum you're willing to tolerate before becoming a Wal-Mart greeter or a doorman at an apartment complex when you're 82 years old. Make that your 100% success threshold, subtract Soc Sec and/or any pension income and then annuitize the remaining amount from your portfolio [example: if you need $40K/yr and you get $20K/yr from Soc Sec, you might consider a SPIA to provide $20K/yr. You would have to allow for COLA/non-COLA also]. Treat the rest of your portfolio as money to be spent when there is not a bear market.
7. Use the 4% rule to start your ER, and keep an eye on your portfolio vs annuity costs. If your portfolio declines to the absolute minimum standard of living that you can tolerate then start buying annuities. It's a study discussed in this thread: That link doesn't work anymore, here's one that still does http://www.schulmerichandassoc.com/Modern_Portfolio_Decumulation.pdf. Like a few others, I've linked to it here several times over the years (and printed it so I never lose it) - it's the best Plan B annuitization article I've ever read.

I have been planning to start a 'Plan B annuitization' thread here for the past week.

Last edited:
HaHa - thank you for taking the time to write your post. Very poignant. I was friends with a homeless man many years ago. He lost his business and it was all downhill from there. He ended up dying from alcohol consumption. Very sad.

NORDS and MidPack - can't thank you enough for the details. Lots to learn and study.

NORDS - I had read your articles and loved them. I have heard of AnalyzeNow and Jim Otars calculator and will explore them also. I also bought the PDF of Jim Otar's book so I have lots of reading to do there also.

MidPack - I started to think about Annuitizing for longevity also. I think thats the missing link to giving me peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you posted on my decision(s)

Back
Top Bottom