Join Early Retirement Today

Re: So Much For The Fed Pause Rally
Old 08-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Brewer, can you point me in the right direction or give me a link?* I find some comments here and there but must not be looking in the right places for rate comparisons.* I did find some mention of fleet utilization and rates for 'capesize" ships was up, but a London analyst said that was all because Chinese steel related demand was rapidly growing.* I thought their govt was trying to slow down the growth in the steel industry by forcing out some of the smaller producers - doesn't seem to be working.
http://www.dryships.com/index.cfm?get=report

Capesize = biggest ships, require well developed port facilities
Panamax = Medium sized ships, workhorse, require decent ports
Supramax/Handymax = Smaller ships, carry their own cranes and don't draft much, so they can use primitive ports

IMO, the stocks of most of the companies that own these ships have not caught up with charter rates and present a bargain if you think charter rates will stay up or keep going up. Check out (in no particular order): DRYS, DSX, GSTL, EGLE, EXM, QMAR, BULK

Disclosure: I own shares of EGLE, call options on DSX and DRYS, and warrants on BULK

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Funny you should mention that.* I am aleady seeing signs of a pullback in the mortgage market, with banks backing away from the riskiest products (ultra low pay rate option ARMS, subprime mortgages to the riskiest borrowers, etc.).*
I recently got a boat loan for my waverunner, and it was actually very difficult to find a bank that offers boat loans. From talking to some of the loan officers, I learned that their banks (like WaMu) VERY recently killed almost all of their consumer loan products, with the exception of revolving credit. The product that they push now are HELOCs- which they can package up and sell off anyways. Seems as if banks don't want exposure to consumer debt right now.... I found this to be very interesting....

Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
http://www.dryships.com/index.cfm?get=report

Capesize = biggest ships, require well developed port facilities
Panamax = Medium sized ships, workhorse, require decent ports
Supramax/Handymax = Smaller ships, carry their own cranes and don't draft much, so they can use primitive ports

IMO, the stocks of most of the companies that own these ships have not caught up with charter rates and present a bargain if you think charter rates will stay up or keep going up. Check out (in no particular order): DRYS, DSX, GSTL, EGLE, EXM, QMAR, BULK

Disclosure: I own shares of EGLE, call options on DSX and DRYS, and warrants on BULK

I listened to EGLE's earnings call last night. The ceo made a point of mentioning that shares could be purchased from the company direct. Here is the link taken from their webpage

http://www.eagleships.com/phoenix.zh...478&highlight=

I hopped on board about a month ago... nice dividend!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but as I always say: do your own due diligence, please.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
... VERY recently killed almost all of their consumer loan products, with the exception of revolving credit. The product that they push now are HELOCs- which they can package up and sell off anyways. Seems as if banks don't want exposure to consumer debt right now....* I found this to be very interesting....
Probably the last gasps of the bubble. Sell off those HELOCs before foreclosure costs start to eat them up....

OTOH let's hope that the buyers of such instruments are not represented in any of our funds, including pension funds! Time to do some due diligence on who the buyers are...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
We've been in a recession since Clinton left office. Any of these things are small blips on a radar.
Really? His own economic advisor stated last year things were slowing down dramatically in 1999.................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Another failed rally today. Averages took off, with the NAZ at one point being up almost 2%. But the DOW and S&P finished red, and the NAZ barely stayed positive.

This is not bullish behavior.

Ha

Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Another failed rally today. Averages took off, with the NAZ at one point being up almost 2%. But the DOW and S&P finished red, and the NAZ barely stayed positive.

This is not bullish behavior.

Ha
It was strange, since I really didn;t see anythin all that horrible that happened to stop the rally. Ah well. So long as all my cash flow investments keep flowing, the rest will sort itself out...

- Will Rogers
Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Foreign markets loved it. Pays to be world diversified.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Foreign markets loved it. Pays to be world diversified.
Not so much today...

- Will Rogers