Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post

Knowing you are all very good at this I'd love your thoughts - Annuity or Lump Sum?

I appreciate your comments. I have waffled both directions over the past few weeks.
Depending on what you want to leave as a legacy, I would think the lump sum may be the way to go if it allows you to meet your retirement needs with a withdrawal rate of 5% or less. Chances are good there will be money left over to leave to the kids or grandkids. Once you and your significant other pass with a pension, it is often times gone.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Part-time
Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

Part-time

One option to possibly explore is to see if they would allow you to work part-time, maybe as a consultant. I 'retired' from full-time work 5 years ago but began consulting 3-4 hours a day and working from home. This provides me with plenty of time for my many hobbies but also keeps my 'head in the game'. My gross income fell from $500K+ to a little more than $200K but that's enough for us to live on without touching our retirement savings. The part-time work was one of the best decisions that I've ever made.
kykejuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here.

The deal is done. I will retire on 12/20 (Last day of 2019 payroll), with a vac/sik lump sum cashout first day of 2020 for tax purposes

Between now and then I will telecommute 22 weeks, and be on the road to nice places for work, another 9 weeks for a total of 31 weeks - not in the office.

This will allow me a great deal of freedom to complete my career and earn a very nice financial boost by staying to the years end.

I can honestly say that the advice I received here, from all of you, helped me push my Board a bit to gain this result.

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #64
gone traveling

Not familiar w/ phrase Top Hat
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I’m designing a large garage and shop that has gotten a bit out of hand size and feature wise, and the “extra” money started to be appealing.

It’s hard to let go. Very hard. But it will happen. There will be a 19 departure!
I feel your pain. My self imposed announcement date is fast approaching and I'm getting a bit frazzled. Really a conflicting dilemma. I think it's mostly fear holding me back but who knows...
flybynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had the same circumstances - gave tentative notice for july 4 and they let me stay till end of the year - that was 7 years ago.

Those last 6 months were wonderful - i made up a list of extra items on my wish list - which I'm still fulfilling. I enjoyed working those last months.

Those extra months gave me also over $300k considering severance and full retirement benefits which i would not have received if i left earlier on July 4.
Easy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I take it that you have planned accordingly to retire happily on July 5th ? There will always be $$ left on the table, and bosses that don't want to start the search process of replacing you.

++1
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OP here.

The deal is done. I will retire on 12/20 (Last day of 2019 payroll), with a vac/sik lump sum cashout first day of 2020 for tax purposes

Between now and then I will telecommute 22 weeks, and be on the road to nice places for work, another 9 weeks for a total of 31 weeks - not in the office.

This will allow me a great deal of freedom to complete my career and earn a very nice financial boost by staying to the years end.

I can honestly say that the advice I received here, from all of you, helped me push my Board a bit to gain this result.

Thank you!

Congratulations!! The year will go fast, and the following year even faster!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations!! Awesome result!
flybynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #70

Quote:
OP here.

Thank you!

Very nice! They must really like you.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Win-win
Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Win-win

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
Very nice! They must really like you.
It’s a win win. I work to the end of the year and enjoy it’s associated rewards, but from my happy place and the company gets a longer glide path towards the unknown with a proven commodity at the helm. I get to close out several ongoing efforts and put together the process to facilitate my replacement.

I’m sure there will be more than a few days after 7/5 that I will wonder why I did this 😝. But for now, we have a plan, everyone is happy with the plan and 9 months and 4 days from now I’ll be retired.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #72

I was in the "go, now" camp, but the deal you struck with the summer out of town is a good enough prize. Grats!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice decision on taking the lump sum.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I’ve posted here before with all of my situation particulars.

I Have my July 5th retirement date set, but have only told my staff, not my Board of Directors whom I work for. I’m good to go July 5th. I have enough.

But.

My CFO walked into my office Friday and told me (and I knew this (mostly)) that by leaving July 5th, versus December 31st - wait for it...... that I’m leaving $300,000 gross on the table (salary, bonus and Top Hat).

But when does it end? Wait til Dec 31, why not wait til next July when my pension goes up another 2%.

So. I can stay six more months for $300k (which is a lot) but miss the summer mountain home (it’s hot in Scottsdale) again. When I’m dying - will the $ matter?

WW you do?

Sigh.

Our CFO came up to me and said "you'll never retire" as I decided to go to work P/T. Great package. Retired shortly after.

The person I hired that eventually took my spot has had several years of huge financial benefits on some projects I was working on prior to retiring. Last week I told my wife "if I had still worked we'd have another $250k in the bank". Then I told her that I am so happy to have retired and I don't care about what was left on the table.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #75

For $300k I’d probably stay for six months if I somewhat enjoyed the folks surrounding me.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my job

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
For $300k I’d probably stay for six months if I somewhat enjoyed the folks surrounding me.
Six more months will at times be tough, but it will really put me over the top $$ wise. Didn’t “need” it, but it will be very helpful. And being allowed to spend much of that time, where I want to be, will make it very palatable.

And while I love my job, and the people I work with...I’ve realized that I love my future freedom more. So, time to go and hand the reins over to the young, brash and hungry. Just like I was 20 years ago.