Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security: 7 guideline changes coming in 2018
Old 10-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Social Security: 7 guideline changes coming in 2018

This article makes it easy to understand the changes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...018/106907866/

For those not yet claiming, but paying INTO SS via 6% paycheck withdrawals, AND you earn near the maximum taxable earnings cap of now $128,700 then we all owe extra $93 to the tax man next year.
Ahh the middle class helping the rich get richer. 1 in 10 hits the max each year, but to do it for 35 is even less achievable for the underdogs.

Another interesting tidbit, the $ needed to achieve a "credit" rises by $20, or $80 for the year.
3. Wealthy Americans will owe a little bit more in 2018

The average working American is likely to be thrilled to find out that wealthier Americans will be paying a bit more into Social Security next year. In 2017, workers were required to pay a 12.4% payroll tax into Social Security on earned income between $0.01 and $127,200. This $127,200 figure is what's known as the "maximum taxable earnings cap." Next year, it'll be rising to $128,700, an increase of $1,500.
There is, however, a pretty big exception that folks should be aware of. If you're employed by someone else, the company you work for usually covers half of your Social Security responsibility (6.2%). This means most Americans typically pay 6.2% of their earned income between $0.01 and the maximum taxable earnings into the Social Security program.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Administrator

The article title is misleading. No new guidelines, just new limits. According to the article:

1. SS beneficiaries get a 2% COLA.
2. The maximum payout increases to $2788 per month.
3. The taxable income ceiling increases by $1500 to $128,700
4. The age for full retirement benefits increases by 2 months to 66 and 4 months.
5. The income threshold for working beneficiaries rises by $10 to 17040.
6. The income threshold for disability beneficiaries rises by $10 to $1180 per month.
7. The amount needed for one work credit increases by $20 to $1320, or $5280 for a full year credit.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
This article makes it easy to understand the changes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...018/106907866/

For those not yet claiming, but paying INTO SS via 6% paycheck withdrawals, AND you earn near the maximum taxable earnings cap of now $128,700 then we all owe extra $93 to the tax man next year.
Ahh the middle class helping the rich get richer. 1 in 10 hits the max each year, but to do it for 35 is even less achievable for the underdogs.

Another interesting tidbit, the $ needed to achieve a "credit" rises by $20, or $80 for the year.
3. Wealthy Americans will owe a little bit more in 2018

The average working American is likely to be thrilled to find out that wealthier Americans will be paying a bit more into Social Security next year. In 2017, workers were required to pay a 12.4% payroll tax into Social Security on earned income between $0.01 and $127,200. This $127,200 figure is what's known as the "maximum taxable earnings cap." Next year, it'll be rising to $128,700, an increase of $1,500.
There is, however, a pretty big exception that folks should be aware of. If you're employed by someone else, the company you work for usually covers half of your Social Security responsibility (6.2%). This means most Americans typically pay 6.2% of their earned income between $0.01 and the maximum taxable earnings into the Social Security program.

Not to quibble with you but you realize the "other" 6.2% does comes out of your pocket in the form of lower compensation, there's no such thing as a free lunch...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

Re: #2 (The maximum payout increases to $2788 per month) - I assume that the $2788 is the maximum benefit at full retirement age as I currently draw substantially more than that having drawn a spousal benefit and postponing my claim.

I would like to know who is eligible for the increased payout? Is this for future claimers only or does it also apply to current SS recipients?
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
1 in 10 hits the max each year, but to do it for 35 is even less achievable for the underdogs.
One thing I've often wondered about is what percent of Soc Sec beneficiaries actually hit the maximum benefit by paying the maximum tax for at least 35 years. Does anybody here know? Google searches have turned up nothing....
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
One thing I've often wondered about is what percent of Soc Sec beneficiaries actually hit the maximum benefit by paying the maximum tax for at least 35 years.
I don't know the answer but I just checked my SS earnings record and it looks like I maxed it out for 37 consecutive years. Not sure if this entitles me to an increase next year or not.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Not to quibble with you but you realize the "other" 6.2% does comes out of your pocket in the form of lower compensation, there's no such thing as a free lunch...

Oh completely, robbing peter to pay paul.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I don't know the answer but I just checked my SS earnings record and it looks like I maxed it out for 37 consecutive years. Not sure if this entitles me to an increase next year or not.
Awesome! It takes a lot of work over many years to accomplish that!

If I read the article correctly, you'll be getting a raise.