Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security and pension
Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security and pension

After discussing my wife's case for social security disability for three years, she finally received a favorable decision. Prior to her becoming ill, she worked as a nurse at a local hospital. My wife is 53. Is it necessary to wait until she is 59 to start receiving her pension? Ideally, I'd like to take it as a lump sum and invested in an appropriate fund.

Thanks!!! for your help --I've learned quite a bit over the years from this board. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and healthy new year.

Dan
dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every pension plan is different
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes, every pension plan is different. Your wife's pension may or may not have a lump sum option. Often when separation from service occurs before age 55 the pension is not payable until age 65 or 66. Separation after age 55 often allows a reduced pension immediately, but your plan will be what it is. In some cases a disability early retirement is part of the pension plan and could allow starting payment before age 55, but that would have to be a provision of the particular plan. Private plans are different from federeal plans such as CSRS or FERS which are different from state and local public employee plans, teacher plans, or Railroad Retirement provisions. Disability for plan purposes is not the same a SS disability. I assume there was no long term disability covereage from the employer?

The best action is to take your questions to the employer to determine what benefits you have.
dbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
After discussing my wife's case for social security disability for three years, she finally received a favorable decision. Prior to her becoming ill, she worked as a nurse at a local hospital. My wife is 53. Is it necessary to wait until she is 59 to start receiving her pension? Ideally, I'd like to take it as a lump sum and invested in an appropriate fund.
You need to discuss this with the HR folks where she works. e.g. my company will allow a reduced pension between 50 and normal retirement age for health reasons. Also, I pay disability insurance through the company which pays full pay for 6 months, then 50% for another 12 months, so if I was in a similar situation I would do the math since the reduced pension is lowered based on the number of years away from 62, so running out the disability insurance cover may well be more cost effective.

Tags
social security