Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security COLA 2.8%
Old 10-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Received official word here:

https://blog.socialsecurity.gov/soci...ce=govdelivery
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Better than Megaconglomocorp was giving!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Funny just thinking this morning, aren't we due for this number?
Thanks a bunch.
Is there any word on increases on the Medicare Part B yet?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Funny just thinking this morning, aren't we due for this number?
Thanks a bunch.
Is there any word on increases on the Medicare Part B yet?
From a CNBC article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/medi...vey-shows.html

Last July the Medicare trustees report forecast that 2019 Part B monthly premiums will remain at about $134. After that, they are expected to rise about 5 percent each year through 2026. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid typically announces the next year's premium amount in November.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
From a CNBC article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/medi...vey-shows.html

Last July the Medicare trustees report forecast that 2019 Part B monthly premiums will remain at about $134. After that, they are expected to rise about 5 percent each year through 2026. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid typically announces the next year's premium amount in November.
Ah okay. Close to the 5.5% that Fidelity uses for its medical inflation number for their calculator.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

SO question...2018 was our first year of SS with DH. When I calculate the increase, it is $xxxx.93 Does SS round up or down to the nearest dollar?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Good news, we get an increase after all. So minimum increase for all my fixed income is at least 2.5% this coming year except my non-COLAd pension.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
SO question...2018 was our first year of SS with DH. When I calculate the increase, it is $xxxx.93 Does SS round up or down to the nearest dollar?
I'm pretty sure it's rounded down.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

What goes up, must go... up

Not to mention that, for those of us still toiling in the vineyards, the wage base subject to FICA tax will be nudging upward to $132,900.

SSA says that the recipients will receive an increase of 2.8%. But the boost in the 2019 wage base is 3.5%, and the bend points also go up about that much. I'm not an accountant, but shouldn't all those numbers be a lot closer?

Or might this be a move by SS to narrow (every little bit helps) the funding gap? I know that these adjustments are governed by legislation, but I suspect the law allows some leeway for the SS administrators to do some tweaking.

BTW, if you score that kind of scratch, you're in the 94th percentile of earners:

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Not to mention that, for those of us still toiling in the vineyards, the wage base subject to FICA tax will be nudging upward to $132,900.

SSA says that the recipients will receive an increase of 2.8%. But the boost in the 2019 wage base is 3.5%, and the bend points also go up about that much. I'm not an accountant, but shouldn't all those numbers be a lot closer?

Or might this be a move by SS to narrow (every little bit helps) the funding gap? I know that these adjustments are governed by legislation, but I suspect the law allows some leeway for the SS administrators to do some tweaking.

BTW, if you score that kind of scratch, you're in the 94th percentile of earners:

Interesting why the percentage is not the same.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:

You must have read my mind.

I was thinking that for those under age 60 or so, the changes in the National Average Wage Index (AWI) will be much more of interest in that this will determine how much all of our prior earnings are bumped up to determine our base SS amount (PIA).

What you are seeing is quite common. Wages grow faster than prices much of the time. As such, Social Security is getting a tiny bit more generous (relative to prices) for each class that reaches the age when SS PIA is determined.

This of course assumes that CPI figures for prices accurately reflects that experienced by a typical SS recipient which is an entirely different discussion that I will leave to another thread.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

2.8% sounds good to me. I haven’t started taking SS yet. I am waiting to start it due to Obamacare MAGI. If our options in 2019 work out subsidy wise, I may start in January 2019. If that’s not favorable I’ll wait until I’m 65 and starting Medicare. I’ve got 15 months until Medicare!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Interesting why the percentage is not the same.
More boomers are retiring and becoming eligible every day vs. the number the number of folks entering and remaining in the workforce and contributing.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Does that mean the Gov thinks inflation is ~2.8% or Medicare will go up by ~2.8%?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the information! 2.8% sounds pretty good to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

I just realized that today, Oct 11, is the monthly inflation CPI release by the BLS ( I have signed up to receive their emails).

Is the fact that SSA announced the COLAS today not a coincidence? Asked differently - Does the annual SSA COLA announcement always occur on the October release day of the CPI numbers?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Of the three, I believe only the 2.8% increase is tied to the CPI? The others aren't.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Does that mean the Gov thinks inflation is ~2.8% or Medicare will go up by ~2.8%?
Neither.
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/latestCOLA.html
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
"The annual cost of living increase is determined by taking the average rate of inflation from July through September (https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/cpiw.html) and comparing it to the same three-month period a year earlier, using an index known as CPI-W".
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:

Wage Base goes up by average earnings, cola goes up by price index.