Social Security pays a month behind - effect on taxes

ItDontMeanAThing

Full time employment: Posting here.
This seems like a no-brainer. However, because it's a government program, I gotta ask.

My understanding is if one's first full month of eligibility is December 2016, he is paid in January 2017. That payment is income for tax year 2017. Correct?

Unless your birthday is between November 2 and December 2, your first month of eligibility will not be until January and you will not receive your first payment until February. Government logic at work.

In your example the payment is for the 2017 tax year.

Last edited:
Unless your birthday is between November 2 and December 2, your first month of eligibility will not be until January and you will not receive your first payment until February. Government logic at work.

Thank you, however you missed a key point, which is now in bold:

if one's first full month of eligibility is December

Unless your birthday is between November 2 and December 2, your first month of eligibility will not be until January and you will not receive your first payment until February.

That must only apply to first time eligibility.
I started collecting when I turned 70 (birthday after the 2nd, but in the first week of the month), and they paid me for the whole month of my 70th birthday.

In fact, although the first payment was supposed to be on the 2nd Wednesday of the following month, it actually hit my bank account on the 27th of my birthday month.

Sometimes bureaucratic inefficiency actually works in your favor! :dance:

Thank you, however you missed a key point, which is now in bold:

Actually no, I was simply elaborating on your post. Did you miss a key point, my final paragraph where I answered the question you asked?
...he is paid in January 2017. That payment is income for tax year 2017. Correct?

Last edited:
My FRA birthday was yesterday (yay, happy birthday to me!). Two months or so ago I applied to start SS at my FRA. I was told then and just got the award letter verifying that my first payment for the month of August (my first month of eligbility) will hit our checking account mid-September. Same was true for DH, applied before his mid-December FRA birthday and was paid starting in January, and was income for that tax year, not the December tax year.

Maybe the first check is paid later if you apply before FRA.

Last edited:
My FRA birthday was yesterday (yay, happy birthday to me!). Two months or so ago I applied to start SS at my FRA. I was told then and just got the award letter verifying that my first payment for the month of August (my first month of eligbility) will hit our checking account mid-September. Same was true for DH, applied before his mid-December FRA birthday and was paid starting in January, and was income for that tax year, not the December tax year.

Maybe the first check is paid later if you apply before FRA.
Happy birthday, Miz Feever :)

Back
Top Bottom