Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And as I've said before about any number of aspects of future gummint policy regarding taxes and entitlements, I hope those of us who are planning to "engineer" a high net worth/relatively low income retirement fly under the radar because we're few enough in number to go after -- and that "means testing" continues to look only at income and not assets or net worth.
With all respect Zig (and I really do generally respect your opinions and POV), I think you're in fantasy land on this one. It will not be possible to hold wealth and not have it impact means testing unless you have it buried in the backyard. And when the gov't is successful in bringing in some higher inflation levels (not hyper-inflation, just 4% - 5%) you won't be able to afford not having divs, int, CG to grow your stash correspondingly. So, "back yard storage" of the FIRE portfolio won't be a long term solution either.

When you report unearned income (including so-called tax free income) on your 1040, there goes your SS and up goes your income taxes.

It's coming........

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Concerning RMDs, unless you care about leaving an estate when you die, RMDs are irrelevant. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Ziggy, are you under the assumption that if us old folks give up some of our SS that the government isn't going to figure out another way to screw the younger folks out of it.
No. That's not my assumption. I'm just saying that folks at and nearing retirement age are hoping that future changes don't negatively impact them. They see the house of cards is starting to fall, but they hope to stabilize it long enough to come crashing down only on a future generation.

Human nature, I suppose. It just so happens that the Boomers are the generation on the cusp here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
With all respect Zig (and I really do generally respect your opinions and POV), I think you're in fantasy land on this one. It will not be possible to hold wealth and not have it impact means testing unless you have it buried in the backyard.
Being hopeful that X will happen is not the same as *expecting* X to happen. Where X means continued focus only on income for means testing, yes, I *hope* that will be the case and I plan to be prepared for it if so. Not at all the same as expecting that will happen. But if it doesn't happen I'd be screwed either way, right?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd be screwed either way, right?

And you won't be alone......

BTW, I'm "hoping" for the same thing you are. I'm just thinking that that outcome would be too good to be true.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What you said was that us old folks want to protect our money at the expense of our children and grand children. Yes we want to protect our money but don't try to say that it's at the expense of our kids and Gkids.

If the older generation gave up anything SS wise I can guarantee you that the money won't be going to the next generation. The government will put their hands back into the general fund and take it away. So I don't like your statement that we are stealing from our kids and grand kids.

If the government leaves my SS money alone I'll be able to leave more of my money to my kids and Gkids.

I'm not giving up a dime if I don't have to.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the current situation of extending tax cuts regardless of income is relevant to whether means testing will get implemented.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
What you said was that us old folks want to protect our money at the expense of our children and grand children. Yes we want to protect our money but don't try to say that it's at the expense of our kids and Gkids.

If the older generation gave up anything SS wise I can guarantee you that the money won't be going to the next generation. The government will put their hands back into the general fund and take it away. So I don't like your statement that we are stealing from our kids and grand kids.

If the government leaves my SS money alone I'll be able to leave more of my money to my kids and Gkids.

I'm not giving up a dime if I don't have to.
+1 It's not the baby boomers that are the problem here. It's the greedy politicians IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think there is sentiment to means test SS even for those already receiving it. Divs, Int and CG's as well as pension income reported on your fed income tax could be key to what happens to your SS. Actually, this has already started. Look for it to continue and accelerate.
Right - didn't mean to say it would not or could not change for "elders". Mainly was trying to address concern that changes on "younger" folks was less fair.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 It's not the baby boomers that are the problem here. It's the greedy politicians IMO.
It's the constant kick-the-can approach to governance that I'm really getting tired of. Let's all ignore a minor problem that can be resolved with minor sacrifices until it's a crisis, and then start to consider draconian "fixes" which pit different groups of people against each other (in this case, young against old).

Nice divide and conquer tactic, really. Helps deflect some of the blame away from the people who deserve it most.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Concerning RMDs, unless you care about leaving an estate when you die, RMDs are irrelevant. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
I would agree (in our situation, only).

The vast majority of our TIRA's (as forecasted) will be going to charity after we pass. the little excess RMD's (e.g. required withdrawls, in excess of our projected retirement expenses) will be added to our disabled son's SNT (special needs trust).

As to the remainder? It's going to charity, with no tax due (under current laws). If the laws change? No problem; we won't be around to worry about it ...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 It's not the baby boomers that are the problem here. It's the greedy dumb-ass, self-centered, thieving, criminal, low life, butt hole and always-on-the-take politicians IMO.
There, I changed your statement a tad to reflect what it's like for us living with our politicians in Illinois. If ours were only greedy, we'd have it made!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
It's the constant kick-the-can approach to governance that I'm really getting tired of. Let's all ignore a minor problem that can be resolved with minor sacrifices until it's a crisis, and then start to consider draconian "fixes" which pit different groups of people against each other (in this case, young against old).

Nice divide and conquer tactic, really. Helps deflect some of the blame away from the people who deserve it most.
Exactly!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
There, I changed your statement a tad to reflect what it's like for us living with our politicians in Illinois.
Thank you! I think your corrections are well justified everywhere, particularly in Illinois from what I have heard (but Louisiana is not far behind).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #55

I think means testing could happen. It is more of the class warfare that is going on now. At first it will be people with say over a hundred million in net worth. Surly those people do not need their SS. Then as time goes on, either through the failure to index, or congressional changes to the value, this value will be lowered. How much lower. If the income tax is any guide it will be lowered until only about 50% of the people are receiving it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #56

Ziggy, so we should give up part of our SS now to let the government redistribute it to our kids. JMHO but you're in dream land.

This is not a fight between young and old. It's a fight to keep and get what we were promised from our wonderful government. Anything I give back or don't take won't be going to my kids and grandkids. Maybe to some Indian or Black farmers but we don't fit the bill.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure means testing of "the rich" would go a long way in making significantly larger benefits available to the masses. Depending on where you draw the line on "rich", you may get to deny SS to the wealthiest 2, 10, or 20% of retirees. Even taking away 1/5 of the SS payments and splitting them among the remaining 4/5 would provide only a 25% boost versus what you would get absent means testing (ignoring the fact that higher wealth is positively correlated with larger lifetime earnings and hence larger average SS payments). And in the meantime, you have royally pissed off most of the 1/5 you took the SS from.

Take SS from the very richest (top 1-2% wealthiest), and you are left with an even smaller slice of the pie to split up among a larger population of those still eligible to collect SS.

I personally think they will "fix" SS by increasing the retirement age, increasing the early retirement age beyond 62, and/or increasing the SS payroll tax. People in their 20's and maybe 30's will be affected by longer retirement ages. Those in their 40's and 50's are less likely to be affected. That's my take.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This is not a fight between young and old. It's a fight to keep and get what we were promised from our wonderful government.
Even if it turns out those promises were irresponsible and unrealistic?

ISTM that this is exactly the same kind of mentality that has thrown Greece into the economic abyss. All kinds of rich entitlements were promised, without sufficient funding (or, at the very least, based on economic assumptions that turned out to be overly optimistic), and now they have to either renege on those promises, or rob their own children to pay for them.

It sounds like you're of the opinion that the promises MUST be kept, regardless of how badly doing so impoverishes the next generation.

If Roosevelt promised every retiree a Ferrari, to commence in 2010, and now it turns out that that promise was unaffordable, would you be arguing "I WANT MY FERRARI" irrespective of how fiscally untenable that promise turned out to be?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One side of me says to start grabbing me as early as possible before it goes away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about that, but let's try to stay focused on SS.
Oops! Well, that's kept Ernest Borgnine healthy all these years, hasn't it?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I think means testing could happen. It is more of the class warfare that is going on now. At first it will be people with say over a hundred million in net worth.
And how would the government know your net worth?