Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks everyone! My assumptions seem to hold some sort of plausible merit. I think I'll check with the pay site, ask my FA to show me the SS evidence that their advice is indeed the rules and make an appointment with SS. I'll report back here once I have the facts. Great site and great fellowship!

Cheers!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #22

There are so many SS threads. They all make sense and most calculations and predictions are really good to know. For me, it's letting go of the actual dollars we've worked to get to FIRE. It's odd, I feel like the savings and investments are mine and I don't want to let go of them. I want to budget knowing exactly what I'm dealing with. But, SS isn't mine until I get the check. Yes, the check offsets the WD of "my money." I have this uncanny desire to get my SS as soon as possible so it does't go away. I know, markets go up and down, but are we really guaranteed SS?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #23

Here is my understanding of spousal payment. If the spouse files at FRA, the spousal amount is equal to one-half of the other persons FRA amount. But, the calculation just determines the amount to add to the lower FRA SS benefit. Suppose your spouse has a FRA SS benefit of $828 and your FRA SS benefit is $2756, then the spousal additional amount is 2756/2 - 828 = 1378 - 828 = 550. You must file for benefits before the spousal adder will be applied. If the spouse files at FRA, then the amount would be the spouse's FRA SS benefit of 828 plus the spousal additional amount of 550, or 828+550=1378. If the spouse files at 62 and receives a SS benefit of $600, then the spousal additional amount will bring the total up to 600 + 550 = 1150.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
Here is my understanding of spousal payment. If the spouse files at FRA, the spousal amount is equal to one-half of the other persons FRA amount. But, the calculation just determines the amount to add to the lower FRA SS benefit. Suppose your spouse has a FRA SS benefit of $828 and your FRA SS benefit is $2756, then the spousal additional amount is 2756/2 - 828 = 1378 - 828 = 550. You must file for benefits before the spousal adder will be applied. If the spouse files at FRA, then the amount would be the spouse's FRA SS benefit of 828 plus the spousal additional amount of 550, or 828+550=1378. If the spouse files at 62 and receives a SS benefit of $600, then the spousal additional amount will bring the total up to 600 + 550 = 1150.
You are correct about the reduced benefit if taken at 62, but the spousal benefit is also reduced to 35% of 2756.00 for a max benefit of 964.00. It would then be 600.00 + 364.00(spousal) for a total benefit of 964.00.

Try it for yourself on the SS website calculator-

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html
Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Would the spouse then get whatever the primary got, if primary was to die first? Does it matter when the spouse took SS? TX!
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Would the spouse then get whatever the primary got, if primary was to die first? Does it matter when the spouse took SS? TX!
The survivor benefit would be the higher benefit (the amount being paid to the primary beneficiary) So it does not make any difference when the surviving spouse claimed her/his benefit. This effect is felt if the primary(highest earner) claims early because then the survivor benefit is always reduced due to early filing by the primary.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, if someone dies before they started taking SS, how is their "full" benefit calculated? DH died at 55, with at least 35 years of SS earnings, so is the survivor benefit calculated like he retired early, or like he kept working to FRA?

I've run estimates both ways, and I'd definitely prefer the latter!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
There are so many SS threads. They all make sense and most calculations and predictions are really good to know. For me, it's letting go of the actual dollars we've worked to get to FIRE. It's odd, I feel like the savings and investments are mine and I don't want to let go of them. I want to budget knowing exactly what I'm dealing with. But, SS isn't mine until I get the check. Yes, the check offsets the WD of "my money." I have this uncanny desire to get my SS as soon as possible so it does't go away. I know, markets go up and down, but are we really guaranteed SS?

I used to think as you. I want to take my SS as early as possible because it may not be there later on. But this is not the way to look at it.
The question that needs to be asked is : What is the worse scenario? Delay taking SS until later but dying early and leaving money on the table? OR taking SS early (age 62), but living too long ( and running out of money in your 70's or 80's). If you die early and leave money on the table....so what? You won't miss it! But if you take SS early and run out of money later in life....now you have a problem.

For those of us in our late 50's, early 60's, SS will be there. Benefits may be trimmed, but they will be there. At least I believe so. To drastically slash SS benefits would result in many of the elderly living on the streets and turning the US into a 3rd world country. Just will not happen.

And what if you take SS at 62 with the intention of "letting your investments grow" and we hit a bear market. Now you have taken SS at 62 and a 30% haircut versus taking benefits at FRA and your investments are down!

Granted.....delaying SS until FRA or even age 70 and living off investments could put one's investments in jeopardy if a bear market hits which is why many of us feel comfortable having 3 - 5 years in conservative investments (CAsh, CD's short term bonds) to weather the storm even if this approach creates a drag on portfolio earnings.

There is no right or wrong answer. We just do the best we can with the information we have.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post

I used to think as you. I want to take my SS as early as possible because it may not be there later on. But this is not the way to look at it.
The question that needs to be asked is : What is the worse scenario? Delay taking SS until later but dying early and leaving money on the table? OR taking SS early (age 62), but living too long ( and running out of money in your 70's or 80's). If you die early and leave money on the table....so what? You won't miss it! But if you take SS early and run out of money later in life....now you have a problem.

For those of us in our late 50's, early 60's, SS will be there. Benefits may be trimmed, but they will be there. At least I believe so. To drastically slash SS benefits would result in many of the elderly living on the streets and turning the US into a 3rd world country. Just will not happen.

And what if you take SS at 62 with the intention of "letting your investments grow" and we hit a bear market. Now you have taken SS at 62 and a 30% haircut versus taking benefits at FRA and your investments are down!

Granted.....delaying SS until FRA or even age 70 and living off investments could put one's investments in jeopardy if a bear market hits which is why many of us feel comfortable having 3 - 5 years in conservative investments (CAsh, CD's short term bonds) to weather the storm even if this approach creates a drag on portfolio earnings.

There is no right or wrong answer. We just do the best we can with the information we have.
Consider that while delaying SS and living off your investments, you are reducing the retirement account balance. If you have both Roth and tIRA's, reducing the tIRA (401k) can help control future RMD's. Depending on your situation, taxes and goals, this can be a good way to go.

Any decision is a crap shoot. Go into it with an open mind. We will never know if it was right until after the fact.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
So, if someone dies before they started taking SS, how is their "full" benefit calculated? DH died at 55, with at least 35 years of SS earnings, so is the survivor benefit calculated like he retired early, or like he kept working to FRA?

I've run estimates both ways, and I'd definitely prefer the latter!
This site seems to explain it well: https://socialsecurityintelligence.c...its-and-death/

"If the deceased spouse never filed for benefits, but died on or before their full retirement age, the calculation is relatively easy. The survivor receives the deceased’s full retirement age benefit, adjusted for the survivor’s filing age (see chart below)."

For example, I'm about 4 months and 2 days older than my DH. We both turn 55 this year. Our FRA is 67. His 2018 SS statement says that if he died this year, I would receive survivor benefits of $2586/mo. starting at my FRA. His FRA age benefit is listed as $2755/mo. I'd have to wait until his FRA to collect the full FRA amount.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #31

The deem rule relates to claiming your own benefit or spousal benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/deemedfaq.html

As I see it explained, you can claim your own benefit at 62, and as long as your spouse does not claim until your FRA, you will get the full 50% spousal benefit but it will be reduced by the same amount as your primary benefit was by claiming early at 62. There is an explanation in the link from the Ss.gov.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
This site seems to explain it well: https://socialsecurityintelligence.c...its-and-death/

"If the deceased spouse never filed for benefits, but died on or before their full retirement age, the calculation is relatively easy. The survivor receives the deceased’s full retirement age benefit, adjusted for the survivor’s filing age (see chart below)."

For example, I'm about 4 months and 2 days older than my DH. We both turn 55 this year. Our FRA is 67. His 2018 SS statement says that if he died this year, I would receive survivor benefits of $2586/mo. starting at my FRA. His FRA age benefit is listed as $2755/mo. I'd have to wait until his FRA to collect the full FRA amount.
Good explanation and correct as I read it too!!

VW
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Good explanation and correct as I read it too!!

VW
Thanks! I'm glad I didn't mess that one up.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post

That's a great link, thanks. That is how I have recently understood it, but not always.

I will have some interesting decisions to make if/when the time comes. His FRA benefit is higher than mine, but lower than my benefit if I wait until 70. And of course I can start receiving a reduced version of his at 60.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #35

I may be mistaken, but I think the rules changed recently on spousal benefits. Unless you turned 62 by Jan 2016, the new rules apply. Essentially, if you turn 62 after this date, once a spouse applies for SS, s/he will get the larger of the spousal benefit or their own benefit. They will have been deemed as applying and no longer can get a spousal benefit while waiting for their own benefit to further accrue.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think the rules changed recently on spousal benefits. Unless you turned 62 by Jan 2016, the new rules apply. Essentially, if you turn 62 after this date, once a spouse applies for SS, s/he will get the larger of the spousal benefit or their own benefit. They will have been deemed as applying and no longer can get a spousal benefit while waiting for their own benefit to further accrue.
You are correct. The spousal benefit is based on when the primary high earner applies for benefits as spousal can't be paid until the application for benefits by the primary. Can't claim spousal and let your own benefit accrue per the dates you listed.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #37

I'm still confused;
If my wife applies for her benefit at 62 and I've not yet applied for mine, then there is no spousal benefit to 'deem' and she will get her own earned benefit minus the early discounted percentage. Is that right?

If the above is true, then when I finally do apply for my SS, (AFTER she's already drawing on her own benefit but before my FRA)

1. is she automatically deemed for the spousal benefit she now is eligible for? From what I understand, it's not automatic, she has to actually now apply for the spousal benefit.
2. If she does have to manually apply for the spousal benefit because I didn't start my benefit until after she started hers, but still well before my FRA, and she delays the application until her FRA, will she then get the 50% bump up based on my PIA at FRA(minus what she' already drawing from her own benefit), or is it based on the benefit amount I started to draw at an early benefit age?

My HOPE is that she can draw on her earnings at 62, I wait until after she's done that to draw mine at my age of 63 and she holds off applying for the spousal benefit until she's FRA and get's 50% of my PIA at FRA minus her current benefit she's been collecting since 62.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
For me, it's letting go of the actual dollars we've worked to get to FIRE. It's odd, I feel like the savings and investments are mine and I don't want to let go of them. I want to budget knowing exactly what I'm dealing with. But, SS isn't mine until I get the check. Yes, the check offsets the WD of "my money." I have this uncanny desire to get my SS as soon as possible so it does't go away. I know, markets go up and down, but are we really guaranteed SS?
These feelings are all normal behavioral economics. You are attached to "your" money, and are more willing to spend "their" money. It's difficult to overcome these feelings and look at the actual situation and the math behind it.

You can't ever really "know exactly what you are dealing with". You must make some assumptions.

Nothing is guaranteed. It's possible that the entire government will collapse and SS, Medicare, Medicaid, will completely go away. It's possible that ROTH 401ks will become taxable. All of today's rules could change. But that's not something that would worry me. I fully expect SS to be there when I expect it.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I'm still confused;
If my wife applies for her benefit at 62 and I've not yet applied for mine, then there is no spousal benefit to 'deem' and she will get her own earned benefit minus the early discounted percentage. Is that right?

If the above is true, then when I finally do apply for my SS, (AFTER she's already drawing on her own benefit but before my FRA)

1. is she automatically deemed for the spousal benefit she now is eligible for? From what I understand, it's not automatic, she has to actually now apply for the spousal benefit.
2. If she does have to manually apply for the spousal benefit because I didn't start my benefit until after she started hers, but still well before my FRA, and she delays the application until her FRA, will she then get the 50% bump up based on my PIA at FRA(minus what she' already drawing from her own benefit), or is it based on the benefit amount I started to draw at an early benefit age?

My HOPE is that she can draw on her earnings at 62, I wait until after she's done that to draw mine at my age of 63 and she holds off applying for the spousal benefit until she's FRA and get's 50% of my PIA at FRA minus her current benefit she's been collecting since 62.
You are correct in your first statement.

Your wife will most likely automatically get bumped up to spousal benefit once you apply, but don't leave it to chance and call to make sure. If she is FRA when you apply for your benefit, then she would get 50% of your FRA benefit(even if you claim before your FRA) less the penalty for her own early benefit claim.

If she would get 1000.00 at FRA but takes early at 750.00(250 reduction) at age 62, then her 50% of your FRA amount (2700/2) will also be reduced by the same 250.00. So instead of 1350.00, she would get 1100.00.

If it sounds confusing, welcome to the club!!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bumping old thread for something that I read today that did a great job of explaining how a spouse's SS is permanantly reduced if they take SS before FRA and later receive spousal benefits.

Quote:
Can My Wife File At 62 And Later Get Full Social Security Spousal Benefits?​​

Hi Larry, My wife will turn 62 in a few months. She spent most of her adult years raising a family but did work sufficiently to be eligible for a Social Security retirement benefit. I am planning on waiting until 70 to begin to receive my Social Security retirement benefit and she'll then file for her spousal benefit based on my record. Do I have this wrong or am I correct that she can apply for her Social Security retirement benefit based on her own record at 62, receive it until I turn 70 and then receive her full spousal benefit, which would be 50% of my retirement benefit amount at that time? We are the same age. Thanks, Hal

Hi Hal, Your wife cannot start drawing her own retirement benefits at 62 and later switch to a spousal benefit equal to 50% of your benefit amount when you start drawing your benefits. Once a person files for their own retirement benefits, that becomes their primary benefit for life. Any other type of benefit (e.g. spousal, widow) for which they subsequently qualify could only be paid as a partial secondary benefit. So if your wife files for reduced benefits on her own record at 62, she will keep the resulting reduction for age for as long as both of you are living. Also note that even if it was unreduced, her spousal benefit would be 50% of your Primary Insurance Amount (PIA), which is equal to your full retirement age (FRA) retirement benefit amount, not 50% of your increased benefit at 70.

For example, say Kate files for her retirement benefits at 62. Kate's PIA would be $600, but her reduced age 62 rate is $440. Eight years later when Kate's husband turns age 70, he applies for his retirement benefits. Kate's husband's PIA is $2,000, and Kate's spousal benefit would be calculated by subtracting her PIA from 50% of her husband's PIA, which would amount to $400 (i.e. $2,000 / 2 – $600) in this example. Kate would then be paid a combined benefit rate equal to the sum of her reduced retirement rate and her spousal rate, or $840 (i.e. $440 + $400) in this example. ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#356e5a145917
Note that the $160 that her benefit is reduced for taking it at 62 rather than FRA ($440 vs $600) also flows through to her benefit once the spousal benefit starts ($840 vs $1,000).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote