Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Social Status of Early Retirees
Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They are cute until they start eating your plants and digging holes in your yard.

Spanky

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #62

Jumping back to the doggie doo comments. We live in a "free poop" zone, i.e. the dogs poop where they please and as far as I know this causes no problems with the neighbors. Some of the "city folk" seem a little nervous when they first buy
property here (probably used to lots of rules and regs).
Anyway, I never followed a dog and picked up their messes in
my life, and do not plan to start. I also do not use a leash,
even if we happen to be in a park that requires it. It's no fun for me
or the dog. OTOH, I have a big fat lazy Lab, so the only way she would hurt anyone is if she rolled over on their foot

JG

Old 05-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
They are cute until they start eating your plants and digging holes in your yard.

Spanky
And eating the wooden frames of your windows. A healthy squirrel population requires a preditor. My DH fullfills that role.

TH, on the farm we always had barn cats to keep down the rodent population. I do wonder though whether feral and outside cats effect the song bird population. Probably glass windows on buildings kill more birds. BTW, the "cat hunting" law in Wisconsin didn't pass. But in Minnesota, you can kill feral cats.

My FIL years ago tired of rabbits raiding his garden. He would open his back window and shoot the rabbits with a 22. Once a neighbor called police, and reported him for shooting cats. The police came, FIL denied it, and nothing ever happened.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Yowsers! A pellet gun is one thing but a .22 might leave a mark if the barrel came up to high! Hope the neighbors aren't too close! The biggest animal in my yard is the lizards. They don't chew on the wooden frames, at least not yet.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

My FIL lived right in the city, in a nice neighborhood. Lucky he didn't shoot anyone. Or anyone's cats.

We used to own the apartment building across the street from us. My DH was tired of all the pigeons. He put up all sorts of pigeon barriers but they were stilll a problem. One evening he went over there and picked off a bunch with the pellet gun. I was mortified. Not about the pigeons, but that he would (1) get caught walking around with what looks like a rifle (2) shoot someone's eye out.

Eventually, Merlins moved in a thinned out the pigeon population.

I am told that the way to rid yourself of too many pigeons is to soak corn in whiskey and lay it out for the pigeons. They will eat it, get drunk, and be unable to fly. You can then wring their necks.

Judging from my posts on this thread, you can guess my social status might be white trash.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
One evening he went over there and picked off a bunch with the pellet gun.* I was mortified.* Not about the pigeons, but that he would (1) get caught walking around with what looks like a rifle (2) shoot someone's eye out.*
You may have watched "A Christmas Story" one too many times.

Quote:
I am told that the way to rid yourself of too many pigeons is to soak corn in whiskey and lay it out for the pigeons.* They will eat it, get drunk, and be unable to fly.* You can then wring their necks.
If you ever do this, could you please video-tape yourself and upload it as a link here?* I may even consider paying to watch you do that.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I never followed a dog and picked up their messes in
my life, and do not plan to start. I also do not use a leash,
even if we happen to be in a park that requires it. It's no fun for me
or the dog.
Sorry in advance JG, but this is from the heart. Actually, no, i'm not sorry.

Ah, so you're one of those a-holes. Guess what, I step in your dogs crap all the time at the park, and you and your dogs having fun off-leash in a leash-required area makes the walk very un-fun for me and my dogs. My dogs are properly trained and realize they are controlled on a leash. When they see an unleashed dog, they feel its a potential threat. While you know what your dog will and wont do, me and my dogs dont. I end up with a very upset and concerned pair of 100+lb dogs and have to go put them back in the car and go home and wash the dog crap off my shoes and my car floor mats.

Very un-fun for everyone else.

Why am I not surprised?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:04 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
Sorry in advance JG, but this is from the heart.* Actually, no, i'm not sorry.

Ah, so you're one of those a-holes.* Guess what, I step in your dogs crap all the time at the park, and you and your dogs having fun off-leash in a leash-required area makes the walk very un-fun for me and my dogs.* My dogs are properly trained and realize they are controlled on a leash.* When they see an unleashed dog, they feel its a potential threat.* While you know what your dog will and wont do, me and my dogs dont.* I end up with a very upset and concerned pair of 100+lb dogs and have to go put them back in the car and go home and wash the dog crap off my shoes and my car floor mats.

Very un-fun for everyone else.

Why am I not surprised?
I am 100% in agreement here. People who walk dogs and don't pick up the crap, or have their dogs off-leash in a leash area are scofflaws and very inconsiderate narcissistic asses.

For a long time I kept the local animal control busy calling in every example I saw. Now when people see me coming they often run to hook up their monsters.

I am also very un-fond of asses who don't fence their dogs in rural areas. I like to walk for health and pleasure and I like to take my dog. My dog is very well trained- he doesn't ever bark and rarely even looks at other dogs. But when every pit-bull or Rotweiler owned and not trained by some junky thinks he has to attack my dog, it kind of ruins it for me.

My dog is old, and very peaceful. If an off-leash dog runs up on us he gets kicked hard, or he gets my umbrella or cane smashed across his nose.

A-hole dogs have a-hole owners.

A few dogs have met their end in my field-I couldn't tell that they weren't coyotes , and at the time I had livestock. I like dogs, but I really dislike crappy owners.

M
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #69

Doggy quarter pounders (with cheese) are an annoyance. Its all about population density. Miles between neighbors...no problem. Several families per acre... big problem.

BUM :
Old 05-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #70

You people need to lighten up. I love dogs, but have hardly owned a leash in my life and have NEVER picked up any doggie doo.
It's natural and will biodegrade quickly. This is one reason why we live in the country. As far as I know, almost everyone here has dogs and they all run loose much of the time. Fine with me.
I don't mind a little dog poo. If I had to pick it up and walk on a leash,
I wouldn't own a dog. No way!

JG
Old 05-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #71

And another thing.....

How about all of the wild critters around here? No one is picking up
their emissions. Where do they go? Answer: Nature takes care of it. Or how about cattle or horses out on the range? No one is cleaning up after them and yet........everything works out fine.
People who get all worked up about a few K9 Tootsie rolls need to get a life. They come across as Yuppie girlie men. Probably
liberals too.

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
People who get all worked up about a few K9 Tootsie rolls need to get a life.* They come across as Yuppie girlie men.*
In my experience, it is the men most comfortable with their background, degrees, net worth, height, and penis size who are the most considerate, kind and generous. They don't need to prove anything, especially through the medium of dog excrement.

But if random stool pockmarking the ground doesn't bother you, all the more power...You could even eliminate indoor plumbing. Imagine the expense you'd save. You'd only need to spring for toilet paper, and hey, that's biodegradable too...

Living in Italy and in my neighborhood did change my views on well-trained dogs not on leashes. Most of the lots are between 1-7 acres, so the dogs have the run of the lawn, and as long as you don't step on their property, just eye you warily barking an occasional warning. Although all "walked" dogs remain on leashes.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Sooooo

The dog thing is like Real Estate - location, location, location.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Caught a French filmaker on Charlie Rose the other night. Was heeding the call of nature beside the road - when a State Patrol pulled over and pointed out - that's a no, no in America. Presumably a no. 1 - but could have been a no. 2.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

What's the last thing you hear before being bitten by a dog?

"Oh, (s)he doesn't bite..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
What's the last thing you hear before being bitten by a dog?
"Oh, (s)he doesn't bite..."
With apologies to Peter Sellers, the first thing you hear afterwards is:
"That eez not my dog..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Now go away or I will bite-a you a second time-a....

John, I wont try to reason with you. Your expressed behavior with regards to your dogs is inconsiderate to everyone else. Its not a case of everyone else needing to 'lighten up'.

However, you're hardly alone. There are plenty of self-centered inconsiderate dickwads in my neck of the woods too.

You wanna hear the funny part? When I'm out walking alone and some dog runs up, owner in pursuit, and I end up having a talk with them? Every single one eventually makes a comment like "We've had old 'blue' here for two years...our old dog got run over by a car...and the dog we had before that did too. Just a run of bad luck I guess". Mmmm hmm...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

My dog is old, and very peaceful. If an off-leash dog runs up on us he gets kicked hard, or he gets my umbrella or cane smashed across his nose.

A-hole dogs have a-hole owners.
Are you saying that you will strike a friendly animal who comes over to sniff and greet your dog? If so, you're the ahole.

Our dog is walked regularly, on and off leach. We almost always pick up after him (we don't if we're in the deep woods). When we're at the beach, or in a park, he walks next to us and sniffs around or swims. He's the most gentile animal I know (including humans). He will not approach another dog unless he feels the vibe is good.

Hitting a dog is not cool. This is what makes some dogs antisocial.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

How exactly are the people who lawfully and in a positive social manner have their dogs leashed, know what to expect when your dog runs over to us?

A couple of years ago I had a "friendly wagging dog" run up to us on the beach and suddenly grab one of my dogs by the throat. I'd have kicked it until it stopped moving but our other dog attacked it first in defense of our other dog. It left a few moments later with a huge bleeding gash on its throat, fortunately the harness on my dog took the brunt of the initial bite. That really worked out great for everybody and was a whole lot of unleashed fun! We had two upset dogs and had to leave the beach and go home, the other people had to take their dog to the vet.

Thats why I said 'me and my dog dont know what to expect from you and your dog'. As per my name, WE DONT KNOW YOU.

First thing that runs through my mind when your happy-go-lucky unleashed dog runs up is "Oh crap, is this dog going to start a fight?". Second thing my dog thinks "Uh oh, that dog doesnt have an owner or a leash on, he might try to attack me or my feeder". My dogs get upset and start barking and pulling on the leash. I have to yell at and try to wave off your possibly friendly, possibly unfriendly dog until you drag your lazy ass out of the house/chair and call it back to your property.

As a result of widespread loose dogs in peoples yards and on our local walking/biking path thats a block away - - a major reason why I bought this house - - I cant walk my dogs in the neighborhood during the day or at all on the bike path.

Thanks for giving everyone an extra helping of your "friendly dog".
Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Are you saying that you will strike a friendly animal who comes over to sniff and greet your dog?* If so, you're the ahole.
No, but thanks for asking. And if you walk your dog without a leash in a* leash area, you are an A-hole, and also a lawbreaker.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone had luck with doggie mace like the mail carriers use?

The law is the law, guys. I'm surprised at you JG, that someone who proclaims his total independence and identification with Ayn Rand and self reliance would then turn around and impose a burden on society, however small. Not trying to go heavy on you, but just saying it doesn't jibe with your image.