Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Social Status of Early Retirees
Old 05-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to carry hot pepper spray when we walked the dogs in my wifes old neighborhood, as many of the dogs who came racing out to 'greet' us were obviously not very friendly. I only had to spray 'at' a couple and only hit one. We didnt notice them "out front unleashed and alone" after that. After a few weeks of getting our hearts in our throats every fourth house, we started packing them in the car and taking them to the park, where we could plainly see the unleashed dogs that would be 'greeting us' while stepping in JG's dogs crap.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Around here you are allowed to take your dog off leach for swimming at the beach. Our dog is generally focused on us. If another dog comes along, he'll usually ignore him completely. If he's interested he'll approach very slowly. There's plenty of time for the owners to talk and for both dogs to assess the disposition of the other animal. I've also come across loose dogs roaming sometimes in a pack, and sometimes without an owner-- it's a real problem. Our dog has also been attacked by loose dogs. Allowing dogs to socialize with each other is very important. When owners don't allow their dogs to greet other dogs they get aggressive and territorial. There has never been a case where our dog had approached another animal where the owner was concerned. Never has anyone complained about our dog, everyone loves him. Sometimes I care for our friend's dog. I don't let him off leach if there's anyone around. He's just too unpredictable.

Regarding 'the law is the law', if you win a small amount of cash gambling do you report it on your taxes? Do you always come to a complete full stop at every stop sign? Ever speed? Then there's speeding through a busy intersection running a red light. Big difference.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Around here you are allowed to take your dog off leach for swimming at the beach. Our dog is generally focused on us. If another dog comes along, he'll usually ignore him completely. If he's interested he'll approach very slowly. There's plenty of time for the owners to talk and for both dogs to assess the disposition of the other animal. I've also come across loose dogs roaming sometimes in a pack, and sometimes without an owner-- it's a real problem. Our dog has also been attacked by loose dogs. Allowing dogs to socialize with each other is very important. When owners don't allow their dogs to greet other dogs they get aggressive and territorial. There has never been a case where our dog had approached another animal where the owner was concerned. Never has anyone complained about our dog, everyone loves him. Sometimes I care for our friend's dog. I don't let him off leach if there's anyone around. He's just too unpredictable.

Regarding 'the law is the law', if you win a small amount of cash gambling do you report it on your taxes? Do you always come to a complete full stop at every stop sign? Ever speed? Then there's speeding through a busy intersection running a red light. Big difference.
Um, I can't say that I've never, but I try not to. I own all the software I use, too. I don't gamble. I don't use napster or Kazaa or whatever is the latest file swapping tool. I'm not big into moral relativism. But the point of my comment is that it's silly to argue it. John Mellancamp said it best, "I fought the law and the law won!" If you make a personal decision to break the law, knowing you are doing it, there shouldn't be any griping at the inevitable results. Personally if a dog ran up to me and I couldn't tell what it wanted, especially if my 8 month old is with me, I'm assuming the worst for her sake and taking appropriate action.

....I recieved one speeding ticket, came down a hill and wanted to save my brakes, cop tagged me for 10 over the speed limit. Hey, he got me, I paid my bill and took my traffic school and moved on.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #84

I'm like you, don't gamble or steal and try to be a good person. Do you pay your CA sales taxes on internet purchases too? I don't. I did engage in sodomy in the state of Georgia. In the late afternoon sometimes I take my dog off leech at the end of the beach and let him chase some sticks. Maybe you think immoral for doing these horrible deads. The law is about the last place I look for morals. My dog does not approach people he doesn't know. If a dog approaches me, I try to gauge his temperment, even if he's astray. If he acts hostile towards me, or my dog, a firm 'No' usually does the trick.

When it comes to questionable dogs I'm a hard-liner. If they show aggressive actions, they shoud be put down, and the owners held accountable.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

* *Not just dog walkers who have problems ... dogs running loose are a major problem for bicyclists, too.* A friend of mine is in the process of suing a dog owner for medical bills. He was riding on the street when the dog charged out of the unfenced yard and attacked him.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:27 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
Not just dog walkers who have problems ... dogs running loose are a major problem for bicyclists, too. A friend of mine is in the process of suing a dog owner for medical bills. He was riding on the street when the dog charged out of the unfenced yard and attacked him.
I can relate to that. It is very scary and dangerous.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I did engage in sodomy in the state of Georgia.
Too much information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Maybe you think immoral for doing these horrible deads.
A buddy of mine likes to say, "whatever you can live with!"

Seriously, who cares what I think about your morals, I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet! I only gave examples for the sake of explaining where I was coming from. If the tack on this thread was, "I think dog leash laws should be banished" that would be a more solid starting point for a debate. Saying, "I flout the law because I know better" is kinda shaky. I bet there are some instances in your life you wish people followed other laws and in their mind they felt the way you do about dog leash laws.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
This is a great segue into a conversation I had this afternoon.
First, some background. *From 1998 to 2001 I lived in a rural subdivision about 10 miles downstream from where we are now.
Our current subdivision is about the same (same style homes,
same social classes, same size sub., etc. ) *One difference is that
my old sub. had an association, rules, bylaws, etc. *Present
sub. has none. *We are subject to state and county law and regs, but otherwise just a group of people living in the same area. *My
neighbor (weekender who lives in Chicago suburbs) opined that
we should have an "association". *I don't agree. *I like the lack of rules. *Dogs run free and the residents are unfettered by a bunch of
imposed restrictions. *If you don't like your neighbors, just move.
You won't lose money on water frontage. *In other words, I would prefer to take my chances without any localized structure, as opposed to setting up a bunch of rules. OTOH, I have no respect for authority
in general, my views on dog excrement being but one example.

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
Not just dog walkers who have problems ... dogs running loose are a major problem for bicyclists, too.* A friend of mine is in the process of suing a dog owner for medical bills. He was riding on the street when the dog charged out of the unfenced yard and attacked him.
I used to have that problem with a pack of dogs along a bicycle trail, and it used up a lot of water bottles. *(Squirted, not thrown!) *I finally saw the owner one day and told him that I couldn't imagine how he could afford his liability insurance. *Leashes appeared as if by magic the next morning.

We had a very energetic dog approach us one night during our neighborhood walk and the owner wouldn't bring him to heel. *I finally threatened to call 911 (the system here at the time) and he finally brought the dog in to make me go away. *So we don't walk there anymore-- it's really hard to round-kick a dog when you're wearing slippers.

Hawaii's Humane Society has a group of volunteer cat feeders. *HHS provides traps (cages) and food which the volunteers use to coax the feral felines into the cages. *They (the cats, not the volunteers) are taken downtown, spayed or neutered, and released back at the same location. *They're not socialized so they can't be adopted, and the average survival is less than five years.

Our yard supports a whole flock of birds despite the local cats. *We hear the cat fights after dark but the sprinklers solve that problem pretty quickly. *Our bunny hears the cats before we do (he's an indoor pet) and he thumps like crazy.

As long as the pet nuisance is an occasional dog or cat fuss, we feel we're lucky. *Hawaii state law allows residents to keep up to two chickens (including roosters) in their yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
If you don't like your neighbors, just move.
Sorry, John, easier said than done. I'd prefer to improve the neighborhood I'm in than to flee to some putative safer haven.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I think we need more laws to protect us from everything...........
overzealous dogs, their "emissions", nosey neighbors, slow
mail delivery, old drivers, *shoddy workmanship, weird/sick/abusive bosses,
parasite corporations, wacko rightwingers, wimpy liberals,
and dopey posts on this forum. *Yeah, that would be great.
I used to have a neighbor who was afraid of all dogs over 10 lbs.
A freaking head case!

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...and dopey posts on this forum.
Yeah, but what about the other six dwarves?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yeah, but what about the other six dwarves?
Reminds me of.........."I used to be snow white, but I drifted!"

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OTOH, I have no respect for authority
in general, my views on dog excrement being but one example.

JG
Untill your neighbors start running a meth lab out of the house, of course.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 PM   #94

15 years ago I was reprimanded my a policeman in a parking lot of a public beach. I getting out of a wetsuit under a towel and apparantly I showed too much cheek. Leech laws and poop laws are like laws against public nudity, or urination. There's a big difference between pissing in a parking lot, and on a tree in the woods. Between changing under a towel and steaking through the public square. IMHO leech laws are similiar. I can understand why many people don't unleech their dogs. Many of the dogs I know should be leeched all the time. However, given the right dog, at the right place and time, I have no problem with it. Now tell me all you law abiding folks never take a leak in the woods!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Untill your neighbors start running a meth lab out of the house, of course.
This happened to me. We moved after we were attacked my a meth addict and his pit bull. The cops did nothing, even though the man had a proir record. And that's the point. I don't care that the dog wasn't leeched. I care that his owner instructed him to attack and he wasn't held responsible. Luckily the dog was young, and thought we were playing. Hopefully, he has a new owner.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I'm like you, don't gamble or steal and try to be a good person.* Do you pay your CA sales taxes on internet purchases too? I don't.* I did engage in sodomy in the state of Georgia.* In the late afternoon sometimes I take my dog off leech at the end of the beach and let him chase some sticks. Maybe you think immoral for doing these horrible deads.* The law is about the last place I look for morals.* My dog does not approach people he doesn't know.* If a dog approaches me, I try to gauge his temperment, even if he's astray.* If he acts hostile towards me, or my dog, a firm 'No' usually does the trick.

When it comes to questionable dogs I'm a hard-liner.* If they show aggressive actions, they shoud be put down, and the owners held accountable.
I want to know more about the sodomy in Georgia. Was there a dog
or other domestic animal involved? Inquiring minds want to know.

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #97

Quote:
I want to know more about the sodomy in Georgia. Was there a dog
or other domestic animal involved? Inquiring minds want to know.
Nothing radical, just oral sex. It is nice to think back on it
I think the Georgia sodomy laws were eventually overturned.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
15 years ago I was reprimanded my a policeman in a parking lot of a public beach.* I getting out of a wetsuit under a towel and apparantly I showed too much cheek.
I guess HE's not a surfer. But I'm still trying to get over the surprise of learning that police officers actually go to the parking lots of public beaches.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

There are definitely some stupid laws still on the books. I'm glad to hear no animals were hurt in the filming of that stag film.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
There are definitely some stupid laws still on the books.
Not anymore.*

BOSTON (AP) - The Massachusetts legislature repealed a 330-year-old law Thursday that barred native Americans from entering Boston.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/cpress...ves_ban_lifted