Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Social Status of Early Retirees
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually you wouldnt need any laws if people acted responsibly, werent completely self centered, and everyone demonstrated at least a modicum of mutual common decency.

As long as you have people who have a "hey, its not fun for me, so screw everyone else" attitude, you'll have to apply nanny laws to them to try to force them to at least act like they arent the only person on earth who matters.

On the other hand, its pointless to even discuss it. Self-centered a-holes dont change their behavior because you reason with them. A good rationalization is usually just a short ways away.

I'll just stick with my current mode of operation; your loose dog approaches me or my dog, it gets pepper sprayed. Your dog attacks me or my dog, you get sued. In 62 days when I'm no longer on probation, if you're around when your dog ruins my walk, I'll kick your ass.

If you dont like the regular ass kicking, you can move.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2005, 05:58 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
Actually you wouldnt need any laws if people acted responsibly, werent completely self centered, and everyone demonstrated at least a modicum of mutual common decency.

As long as you have people who have a "hey, its not fun for me, so screw everyone else" attitude, you'll have to apply nanny laws to them to try to force them to at least act like they arent the only person on earth who matters.

On the other hand, its pointless to even discuss it.* Self-centered a-holes dont change their behavior because you reason with them.* A good rationalization is usually just a short ways away.

I'll just stick with my current mode of operation; your loose dog approaches me or my dog, it gets pepper sprayed.* Your dog attacks me or my dog, you get sued.* In 62 days when I'm no longer on probation, if you're around when your dog ruins my walk, I'll kick your ass.

If you dont like the regular ass kicking, you can move.
With that attitude it's easy to see why you are on probation

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

The foregoing postings simply reaffirm to me that one of the true advntages of ER is the freedom to live where you want, not where the population has to live in order to WORK.*

California, where I lived in the 1980's, is a great example. It has a nice climate and the great PR (just turn on the TV, and you get the functional equivalent of a constant stream of California as a form of de facto locational ad placement).* However, once I changed jobs and left the crowded and hypocritical "multi-cultural" chaos that passes as generally correct opinion ("all social problems are the direct result of european white straight males") of the Bay area and moved into the inter mountain west I improved my entire standard of living, both form a monetary level, and in the quality of the people I worked with.*

Crowded urban states breed bad folks...it amplfies the presence, if for no other reason the higher numbers of sociopaths due to demographics, of the worst social atmosphere that society can dish out.* When adjusted for the political hype and general social disfunction, California has the highest jerk factor per square mile of any of the fifty states. Based on my discussions with Cal- Expats, the state is being repatriated by Mexico in the south.* The northern part of the state was run by angry gays and special deviant political factions in Sacramento.*

Perhaps this may account for the great white flight that is ongoing out of SOCAL into my home state of Arizona. Few notice, but California is under a greater threat of being siezed by foreign invaders and being the base camp for this centuries political and social threats to the soverignty of the United States than any place in the mid east.* Having traveled throughout russia and eastern europe, I suggest the soutwestern US will become our equivalent of Chezneya in the next decade.* No cultural assimilation, just warring ethnic factions fighting over territory and history.* Most of california is already there.

The bottom line, as a part of ER, since you do not have to live in any one locale for the paid slavery you have left, find a place where there are fewer people, and the jerk factor will be greatly reduced.

To quote the great rock/blues artist Leon Russel: People drive me crazy" 8)
Old 05-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

I have found a very effective way of dealing with off leash dogs when bicycling or walking my own dogs. I bring treats for all. This really solved a problem on a bicycle route I had where a couple of dogs would chase me, niping at my tires and ankles. I started with super treats--a whole hot dog. Now I just toss less desireable treats and no more chasing or niping.

In my town there are a large number of parks and walking trails. Each area seems to have a different culture. Some are basically dogless--one I think of in particular has paved trails and lots of bikers. Very few dogs and always kept on leash. Another trail goes along the lake and people are very good about keeping dogs on leash. Also, there are bags available to pick up poop. Nevertheless, people aren't always so good about picking up after their dogs.

One of the parks has many many trails, used for cross crounty skiing in the winter. It has a nice pond in the middle. This park has lots of dog walkers, most of which don't have their dogs on leash. People also swim their dogs in the pond. It seems to work ok, mostly because the park is so large you rarely run into anyone and the dogs their seem well behaved.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

During the 1960's My late father found a unique method of dealing with two neighborhood dogs that would chase his car down one of the streets he drove each day to work:* he removed both rear hubcaps and, after placing several shop rags over the central part of the wheel, placed the hubcap so that there were several rags that rotated about a foot or so outward from the center of the wheels as the car moved.*

The dogs gave chase once my dad went past the dogs ambush point, and they went straight for the moving objects, the rotating rags. Each dog snapped at the rags.*

The anti-dog chasing device worked, as it wrung their necks like a couple of chickens once each dog bit hard on the rotating rags.

My brother inherited my dads gift for automotive invention.* He, being an engineer, loves to tinker.* He would have to drive through a very urban area to get to his office each day.* The local panhandlers at these busy street intersections had advanced from just sitting by the side of the intersection with a sign requesting money to more aggressively knocking on each window and yelling for money, and a few would attempt to wash your windshield whether you liked it or not, and then demand a "Tip".* he drives a 500 SL, so he does not like anyone messing with his car, especially bums at busy intersections.* So he bought a livestock fence* electrical "pulser" (really a modulating capaciter) put a step up transformer to plug it in to power up to the 120 V* connection required to run it off the car, ran the hot wire to the car frame and installed a toggle switch within easy reach under his dash.* When this device was switched on, if some one touched the car, and if they touched it such that* they connected to any metal part of the car they became the final circuit to bypass the tires and pass the pulsing current to ground and recieved the same shock as that required to keep cattle inside the fence.* *He had great fun with this for several weeks, until all the bums, thinking this car had one hell of an electrical problem, left him alone.

Truly a shocking story. 8)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX
The foregoing postings simply reaffirm to me that one of the true advntages of ER is the freedom to live where you want, not where the population has to live in order to WORK.

California, where I lived in the 1980's, is a great example. It has a nice climate and the great PR (just turn on the TV, and you get the functional equivalent of a constant stream of California as a form of de facto locational ad placement). However, once I changed jobs and left the crowded and hypocritical "multi-cultural" chaos that passes as generally correct opinion ("all social problems are the direct result of european white straight males") of the Bay area and moved into the inter mountain west I improved my entire standard of living, both form a monetary level, and in the quality of the people I worked with.

Crowded urban states breed bad folks...it amplfies the presence, if for no other reason the higher numbers of sociopaths due to demographics, of the worst social atmosphere that society can dish out. When adjusted for the political hype and general social disfunction, California has the highest jerk factor per square mile of any of the fifty states. Based on my discussions with Cal- Expats, the state is being repatriated by Mexico in the south. The northern part of the state was run by angry gays and special deviant political factions in Sacramento.

Perhaps this may account for the great white flight that is ongoing out of SOCAL into my home state of Arizona. Few notice, but California is under a greater threat of being siezed by foreign invaders and being the base camp for this centuries political and social threats to the soverignty of the United States than any place in the mid east. Having traveled throughout russia and eastern europe, I suggest the soutwestern US will become our equivalent of Chezneya in the next decade. No cultural assimilation, just warring ethnic factions fighting over territory and history. Most of california is already there.

The bottom line, as a part of ER, since you do not have to live in any one locale for the paid slavery you have left, find a place where there are fewer people, and the jerk factor will be greatly reduced.

To quote the great rock/blues artist Leon Russel: People drive me crazy" 8)
I've lived in CA all my life, I guess I didn't notice my Mexican neighbors tossing militov cocktails over the fence.

My neighborhood in North San Diego county looks like Sesame Street. Families of every ethnic background and everybody is friendly and does their thing. 90% of people just want to be left alone, get a little piece of the American dream, see their kids do o.k. The only way the southwest becomes another Chechnya is if we treat them like dirt the way Russians treated Chechens like dirt for centuries. Whites become the minority in something like 30 years, we better hope we can all get along!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Check with your local La Raza paramilitary HQ and attend a meeting before you elect to opt into the "we are the world group hug". I speak perfect spanish, lived and worked in the DF, and the guys crossing the border illegally are not going to do my grand children any favors as the mexicans collectively lower this country to third world status.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX
Check with your local La Raza paramilitary HQ and attend a meeting before you elect to opt into the "we are the world group hug". I speak perfect spanish, lived and worked in the DF, and the guys crossing the border illegally are not going to do my grand children any favors as the mexicans collectively lower this country to third world status.
I'll check with my Mexican aunt and the Mexican Godmother to my child and find out when the next paramilitary meeting is. I don't recognize the acronym DF, you'll have to spell it out. Why do you speak perfect Spanish? Are you saying that while my neighbors smile at me they are secretly plotting my demise? Are the Mexicans crossing the border smuggling in WMD?

I read the book, "your money or your life" and it had statistics on just how huge a proportion of small businesses are run by first generation immigrants. Small business is the engine of our economy. I think we need immigration, personally. What's stupid is we pretend to have a secure border, and immigrants pay 5 grand to coyotes to get accross the border. Let's set up a registration, charge 4 grand to come in, and give the money to the infrastructure that is taxed by immigrants (hospitals, schools, etc.)

There was a white flight to the valley of L.A. a while back. Now the valley is mostly minority as well. Those who were still bent on preserving the race or whatever (like my neighbors) moved to eastern Washington and other locals. But this only delays the inevitable. But yes, the nice thing about ER is that you can live where you will be most happy.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
...immigrants pay 5 grand to coyotes to get accross the border.* Let's set up a registration, charge 4 grand to come in, and give the money to the infrastructure that is taxed by immigrants (hospitals, schools, etc.)
What kind of a businessman are you?* $5K to take a big risk or getting killed, coming in the hard way, and possibly getting deported and you want to charge $4K to make it easy and be guaranteed to stay?

I think it's a good concept, but I would charge at least $10K, not $4K.* And that would be for all immigrants, not just mexicans.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

You're right that's a better idea, and of course, for all immigrants, we are equal opportunity employers here! But at least I was moving in the right direction!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Laurance:

The operative word is 'assimilation'. There is an invasion of Mexicans who simply will not do so. *I would prefer that the border be crashed by german and japanese engineers, but that's just yet another problem you have with my views.

You are reacting with misplaced emotional energy without the logic that makes for rational detachment. *I differ with your views, lets get that out of the way. *

I believe that the United States became a world power based on Eurocentric values, though not neccessarily Europeans alone. *Aztec warriors did not develop the Magna Carta or newtonian physics. You believe that the evil Europeans ripped off Mexico and need to cede the southwest back. *You can post whatever you like, and flame on, but this is my last post on the issue.

DF stands for the Federal District in Mexico City. *
I am first generation, born here of Italian parents. We invented Latin. *I Speak three languages besides spanish, have a Phd and JD..but who cares. *If I do not embrace your view of the one world order, I must be a complete moron. Who needs borders?

My wife was born in Soviet Poland, and legally immigrated to the US as a physician. *I have lived or traveled throughout Europe and Latin America. *I have no issue with any one ethic group, and count many Mexicans amongst my close friends, as well as a fair share of Cubans and Argentinians. I would most likely not get along with you. *Thats no loss to either of us.

Ask your grand mother why she left Mexico. *I already know why my wife left Poland after the fall of the USSR, legally optained citizenship and choose to leave everything she grew up with to live here.

Enough, bastante', I will leave you to cope with your own life and I will remain as I am without any pretense otherwise. :P
Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Wow this gives me a whole new range of things to discuss with my mexican father in law!

John, I'll forgo the 62 day (now 61 day) waiting period in your case

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Lex, I never called you a moron, anyone who found this board has a low chance of that. My white flight references were merely my experiences with my neighbors, not an implication on you. For the record, I'm 100% white European, all relatives of other descent are by marriage, so my understanding of foriegn culture is limited to conversations and PBS.

I never expressed a view of one world order, I'm not a big fan of the U.N., I don't like the laws of the land being broken (in fact, I was recently critiqed for being too literal on that front right here on this board). I'm actually a McCain supporter, Catholic, and enjoy going to the shooting range. I didn't flame you, but I'm sorry you see it that way. I was asking pointed questions because I wanted to get clarification of your opinion. I was in student government in college, and I met several people on that council who were anti-assimilation, I am troubled when people will wave every flag but the American. Hey, if you are sure you would not get along with me, I'll get over it. But I asked blunt questions and played devil's advocate because your earlier posts could be read as sweeping generalizations of Mexicans. Honestly, you seem a lot more bothered than I am. If there is something specific you'd like to discuss/clarify/expand/expound upon I'm all ears, Pero, comprendo "bastante" tambien.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I was in student government in college, and I met several people on that council who were anti-assimilation, I am troubled when people will wave every flag but the American.
Laurence, just a technical point. I don't believe that Lex is anti-assimilation. I think he feels that the large wave of uneducated immigrants from the south, when combined with affirmative action, welfare benefits, geographic concentration, etc., are creating a situation in which is it unlikely that these people will ever assimilate into the formerly dominant and we must admit very successful culture that created and maintained the US. Whatever we say about diversity, the historically most successful societies have tended to be homogeneous.

The Mexicans who are happy to stay in Mexico are the middle and upper classes, who actually have more in common with most Americans than the uneducated laborers who are coming here.

Immigrants are not all the same. Now, if Israel were just on our border....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately, I really really like mexican food.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Hey HaHa. No, I realize, I meant I understood he was fine with those who assimilated with our culture, and I met plenty of those Lex has an issue with, and understood where he was coming from on that point. Sorry for the confusion.

I am of the mindset that immigration is good for the country, but we need to do a better job of controlling it and making it clear that there are conditions that come with the privelege of living here. Right now we have a tough stance illusion to shore up the right wing vote and a blind eye practice mixed in with a healthy portion of pandering once they get here.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I had one HECK of a carnitas taco yesterday.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #118

Quote:
I saw a dog wearing a carnitas taco yesterday.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

My dog wanted to eat my taco yesterday.

Dang that sounds dirty...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #120
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Is that why your eyes are bloodshot?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote