Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Soda Cracker Portfolio
Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Intriguing semi-retirement possibility: there is a review organization that offers half-time reimbursement (really more like 25% of my current salary) plus health insurance for 10 days a month availability for international travel to various large hospitals. So, travel to South America for a week - maybe extend it a few days, then come home to 2 or 3 weeks off, repeat. I'll send you an anecdote or two if that should come to pass.
Rich,
That sounds like an awesome opportunity. Always seemed that as a physician you should be able to 'write your own ticket' literally to some place interesting and on a schedule that makes sense, once you get past the financial side of things. Pls let us know if you ever go that route, or meet any other docs who are doing that now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Always seemed that as a physician you should be able to 'write your own ticket' literally to some place interesting and on a schedule that makes sense, once you get past the financial side of things.
You'd think so, but current circumstances don't favor such opportunities: you have full-time malpractice premiums to be covered (even if you are part-time), serious "productivity" expectations under ever-shrinking reimbursement scenarios, and nights and weekends to negotiate.

I'm not complaining at all, having saved a bit. But the more relaxed, flexible semi-retirement opportunities are few and far between. Then again, all I need is one and I am already working a few angles well in advance... .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi again Rich,

Have you looked at Vanguard's Tax Managed Balanced fund. It's roughly 50% stock / 50 % muni bonds. No int'l though.*

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
Have you looked at Vanguard's Tax Managed Balanced fund. It's roughly 50% stock / 50 % muni bonds. No int'l though.
Thanks, Alec. Might be a good choice for the post-tax portion.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent choice if you're in a very high tax bracket. Do note the penalty if you sell shares less than 5 years.

If you live in a state like CA or FL (I'm assuming you're in FL?), you could "roll your own" with the vanguard state specific muni fund, and one of the tax managed equity funds like growth and income. You'd have to do your own rebalancing every year or two, but you'd gain a little bit more tax efficiency on the bond side, and the equity dividends being taxed at 15% or less would make a nice piece of your withdrawal simple...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich-Have you considered moving to a less litigious country with a lower cost of living for the transition years(ER to old age)? *With your experience, you would be welcome many, many places, if you could just limit your hours there.
Joe
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou
Rich-Have you considered moving to a less litigious country with a lower cost of living for the transition years(ER to old age)? With your experience, you would be welcome many, many places, if you could just limit your hours there.
Never considered moving abroad, but extended stays, yes. I might like to do some missionary-type work if circumstances permit.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Theres a joke in there somewhere...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Something about a missionary position? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Rich,
Glad you liked the book. If you or anyone here comes up with some other favorite 'Soda Cracker" portfolios, post them here and I'll mention them in the next edition of the book (after the necessary diligence and opinionated review, of course!).
I like the soda cracker portfolio idea... puttin' on the Ritz