Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I enjoy driving and enjoy cars, so this is one area that I could easily cut back on, but don't plan to. I do 100% of the maintenance and repairs myself, so recurring costs aren't significant. Insurance costs less than $1900/yr for the fleet. Presently have 9 vehicles ranging in model years from 1970 to 2014. Before the kids left home, the fleet was as high as 12 at one time. The fleet includes sports cars, high performance cars, SUVs, a pick up truck and a couple of economy cars for running around town. Three have antique plates, so no registration fees or annual inspections are required. Some I have bought cheap and fixed up, some were bought used, and two were bought new. Finally bought a home where they can all be under roof. As a money making hobby, I buy, fix up and resell cars as opportunities arise. Sold the motorcycles last year due to feeling unsafe with so many inattentive and distracted drivers on the roads these days. At this time, I couldn't imagine having less than 5.

freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not counting collectables, I'm down to two regular or daily drivers. Now that I'm retired, the DW rarely drives anymore. I think she's driven once this year and maybe 2 or 3 times all of last year so I sold our third daily driver last year.
Is there a reason why your wife doesn't drive much? I drive for things I do without my DH, such as doing things up at church or running errands in the closest big town about 15 miles from here. He loves to drive and when we go together the default is for him to hop behind the wheel. Every once in awhile I'll say my turn to log a few miles in a longer trip. I don't want my driving skills to degrade from lack of use. I know a few older widows around here who hadn't driven in years when their spouse died and found driving alone intimidating, I don't want to be in that position. We have one personal car and one older dirty mini-van that's the farm car, so our vehicle expenses are low.

ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Just sold my Subaru Outback to DD, replaced it with a Toyota Highlander. Good for long trips, holds a decent amount of people or things, and will pull a small RV. DW's got a Hyundai Azera; its main use now is "airport car" when I travel for w*rk. When the EVs get decent range for $30-40k, we'll probably replace the Azera with one. And that is how we'll enter retirement, Highlander and EV.

I miss my truck (of the sort where DW laments, " Can you please get it painted all one color? And preferably, not primer?"), but I'm just not into working on vehicles anymore.

Really, I'd prefer to just have one vehicle, but our walkability is borderline. We're close enough to stores and work, but the intervening hills make it challenging. We've lived in a no-car situation (Kwajalein), bikes and hoofing it, and really appreciated the simplicity of not dealing with the whole motor vehicle thing.

We have retired neighbors who have tried a one-car situation, but went back to two, both H and W still too active to conveniently share one vehicle. My folks did fine with one vehicle in their late 70s on (interesting to watch 4' 9" DM wrangle a Ford F-250), but that was about DF removing himself from the driving roster after his first stroke.

I guess it just depends on your situation...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado
We retain two cars, one of which we use for our long trips (2010 Acura TSX) and one for me to tool around in (2000 Toyota 4 Runner). I guess we could manage with only one, but given the low cost of maintaining the 4 Runner, the ability to haul junk without worrying about adding a scratch to our "new" car, and the number of miles I put on the beast, maybe 4k per year, we'll keep it until it dies.
jpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
We will have two cars for a long time because my wife refuses to drive anything except her 2001 Toyota Echo.

This thread got me to look up the expense of owning it.
These are average annual costs for 2008-1014:

$ 216 Insurance
$ 145 Maint & Repair
$_ 73 Gasoline
$_ 50 Plates
$ 483 Total

Clearly, a very high per-mile cost. But, it simplifies my life.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Pickup truck, Jeep Wrangler, VW bug and a motorcycle.
They all have their place, not ready to part with any. An example, the gym I go to is 25 miles away, the bug gets 30mpg if I took the truck or jeep mpg would be closer to 15. The bug only costs $32 per month to insure and more than pays for itself in fuel savings. If/when it starts having mechanical issues it will go bye bye. Another high mpg auto will be purchased.

Truck is for around the property wood gathering and cab over camper. Jeep is for fun and to get around when we get snow and the bike keeps me sane!
Freed at 49. You only live once - live it
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #27
Bravo on selling the second car. My thoughts are that we will eventually sell the second car. To me giving up one of the cars would feel like one of us giving up independence, and neither of us is ready for that. It's one of the few places where I actually "waste" money (the other is on the hot-tub).
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Always had two vehicles as we both worked, but I traveled by air with endless car rentals, and the wife worked within a mile of home. Had a 5 year old Altima with way less than 50k miles, and a 2 year old Elantra with under 8K miles when we retired. Sold the Altima to sister-in-law when we retired as we felt that letting it rot in the garage was a waste of money, and gave the one vehicle retirement a go. Been 5+ years now and have found no need to add a car. Replaced the other when it was 5 years old (28K miles). Wanted to keep us in a fairly new car as we enjoy traveling by car/wintering in FL and like the 5 year/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty scenario of Hyundai/Kia.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We dumped our 2nd car last year. (We 'retired'? early this year.) Should have dumped it at least 3 years ago but there was resistance. We live in a small, almost walkable (by me) town.

If you can do without one, do it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #30
I always figured we would go to one car. Our neighborhood is not a cool, walkable one.

A couple weeks ago, both vehicles were in the shop at the same time. Thankfully, our youngest lives in the same town and just happened to have the day off and could cart us around the day my 2008 Impala got towed. (Needed a new starter).

DH's 1994 Ford Ranger was in the shop for a week. Turns out they had lost his keys and neglecting to mention that fact whenever DH would call to see if the truck might possibly be ready to pick up? (They were doing some test to make sure the head gaskets weren't cracked).

That experience convinced me that DH and I are not ready to go to one vehicle. When/if we move to a walkable neighborhood, with stores and restaurants near, I'd be all for it.

Last week we sold that pickup DH loved so much and purchased a 2013 Honda CR-V.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...
Yes, within 6 months of retiring we sold our second car. We used the proceeds to buy a camera lens!
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #32
We have talked about it, but right now its not possible, and we can afford both easily.
My purchase of a van (dreaming of towing a pop-up) might have even forced us to keep 2.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sold the second car this evening.....
Old 07-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #33
Sold the second car this evening.....

Phase 1
Hey if we go to one car it will save a substantial amount of money.

Phase 2
I just need something in case your out shopping

Phase 3
Honda Goldwing with heated seat and handle grips

Yeah baby... I know
"You'll kill yourself"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #34
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I just gotta have a truck!
Same here, we'll sell the truck if/when I can't drive anymore, but not before that.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
We sold the second car when we moved to avoid fixing it, plus licensing is expensive here ..always an issue when switching states. The only time we have to arrange is when we have long times away, say I volunteer for 4 hours and then go to the farmers market, then we may be have to arrange stuff. Our theory was it was going to cost $1000 to repair the car plus at least another $250 to license it in the new state, plus a place to park it.. gas.. etc. So thats $1500 which worst case scenario is used for taxi rides. The airport costs $11 you can see..thats a lot of taxi rides so a much better option for us.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #36
I think one of the key points several mentioned is depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance for things you generally need, a lot easier to get by with one vehicle. Having public transit nearby is also an alternative for personal vehicle. Another big difference is if working or retired.

I will never be down to one car, between my older classic cars (my hobby) and the fact that I do all my own maintenance, it is not a major cost for having multiple cars that are all paid for long ago. I have had for myself 2 or more cars since I was 18. Never been stranded with a non-working vehicle, since I always have an extra to use.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
We still have 2 cars and this is clearly an area where we could save money by going to one car now that we are both retired. However, we enjoy the freedom and flexibility of two vehicles so we probably won't make that change in the near future. Probably, over time we will allow one of the vehicles to become an older, beater vehicle. Currently both vehicles are fairly new...4 years and 6 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same here, we'll sell the truck if/when I can't drive anymore, but not before that.

Lust dies hard. Before Katrina three - 78 Ford 3/4 ton, 99 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton and a little 94 GMC Sonoma.

Now - Honda Fit with Wife and 30+ years of driving greater Kansas City who knows every street and me with a Chevy Equinox and trusty Tom Tom for long trips.

heh heh heh - yes I often get that old pickup twinge but so far .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #39
We have two and likely will for 5 to seven years, maybe forever.

Unrelated, but interesting, I had a 235k mile '97 ranger I used to build with for 14 years, lately it hauled dirtbikes. I bought a low mile replacement for it and finally the clutch started making noise and it needed front alignment, full exhaust system, which together would be > $1500. I ride with a 28y.o. who just bought a fixer house and his wife is expecting soon. I gifted it to them, and was straight about all defects, they were real happy, so was I.

Next time he & I go riding, I may get chauferred in my old ranger, which I don't miss trying to pedal on craigslist for bonehead money. I'll get the latest mechanical status report first, though. If it breaks big, they can leave it in a parking lot and hope somebody steals it.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets
No. There are two of us: 1 crossover, 1 coupe, 1 pickup & 2 motorcycles. And, may buy another motorcycle.

The Big Lebowski: Are you employed, sir?
The Dude: Employed?
racy is offline   Reply With Quote