Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Not long after my retirement, we sold the third car… Working we both needed to get to the job, meetings, etc. DW is working thru the end of this year, and is the primary driver of the “reliable” vehicle. We’ve also still got a 27 year old Suzuki Samurai… around a quarter million miles, but it still runs. It’s the pick up something messy, and get me around in the desert.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

A decision we'll need to make when my wife's 1996 Saturn reaches the end of its useful life. We use my Tacoma pickup for longer trips and trips out into the forest and desert - it works great for mountain bikes and camping. And we manage to use our bikes for a lot of local area trips. So we *could* drop down to one vehicle if we need to.

Still, we'll likely replace the Saturn - it's hard to imagine the logistics of one vehicle until we move into a more easily walkable area.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All these people with less than two cars must love killing the economy/jobs & thus their investments. I prefer helping my fellow citizens.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
All these people with less than two cars must love killing the economy/jobs & thus their investments. I prefer helping my fellow citizens.
What

By that logic all of us saving any money for our retirement or anything at all are killing the economy. Not to mention all these early retirees who could be out there still slaving away for a wage and spending all the earnings as fast as possible to help their fellow citizens.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I am doing a major downsizing/restructuring after retirement. Wrenching is my hobby and I used to have a 100 mile commute, so I have a pile of cars (Mercedes and VW diesels) that no longer have much purpose. So, about half my fleet of 10 cars needs to go. At the same time, my elderly mom stuck me with her car, my wife wants a new one, and I need something sportier with working Airconditioning( It is Florida). Lots of work ahead to make this happen.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Doesn't hurt anyone, the money one doesn't spend on a car, you spend elsewhere. Plus having a single car often forces one to be healthier, ie walgreens is 5 blocks away which I now walk to rather than drive... also better for the environment.

If you look at it this way, its the new trend. Between the rental bikes in many major cities, uber, car sharing.. The younger generation is not buying cars as much as the older generation, just as they don't buy physical books, physical music, etc. One has to re-think their portfolio and careers as I see car production going way down.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

We will probably always have two vehicles until my fiance is too old to drive, and even then, we still may have two vehicles. We will have a full size van to tow our travel trailer with, and a small sedan to run around town or take non-camping road trips in. It would be hard to go down to one vehicle while we are still towing a travel trailer because I do not like driving big vehicles around town all the time. I am a lover of smaller cars. I could not drive a big truck or SUV around town just for the heck of it; parking it would be a PITA! Plus I hate spending tons of money on gas unless we are traveling. I would probably walk, bike, or take the bus everywhere if we lived in a city that was friendlier to those transportation modes.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #48

Quote:

Haha! Good one!

Don't worry, plenty of us with extra vehicles scattered around the yard to keep up the profits at the parts store!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have 3 cars right now, not counting the motorhome. We should not need more than 2, and in fact often drive just 1, so am going to sell or give away the one least used.

I think it will be difficult mentally to go down to 1 car. I feel vulnerable somehow having no backup.

Ideally, of the two cars that I should own, one would be a plugin EV for short-range driving, while the 2nd one would be a longer range flat-towable vehicle for RV travel, and also large enough to tow a flat-bed trailer as I do not own a pickup. None of the 3 I currently own fit the bill. In fact, I do not think there's a vehicle in the market that will work for me for that 2nd multi-purpose car.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #50

I doubt that we go down to 1 car until much later in life, if ever. We have 3 cars for 2 of us. My car is the beater, 2002 Buick Century and DH has a 2012 Toyota Camry and a 2007 Corvette. He misses having a truck, but I will help him drive the Camry on trips and I do not like driving big vehicles. It would be nice to get down to 2 vehicles some day, but that will probably be much later in life also.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #51

Generally have 2 cars at each location. We find we need 2 since I retired. While working only needed one as walked to work. Feel stranded without my own set of wheels.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

When I lose another 75 pounds, I get to buy another bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

We will probably keep 2 cars. My dad, who turns 89 this summer was finally thinking of going to 1 car, (he has a 2001 Olds Aurora with 21K on it and a 2015 Lincoln MKZ with 2K so far). After a week or 2 he decided to keep both even though the Olds only gets used about 12 miles per week. As he tells me, he makes more money now on his investments than he ever did while w*rking!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just went down to one car a month ago. We have both been retired for nearly 5 years and we are almost always together so we just don't need two anymore. So far we are not missing having two vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2792 View Post
We just went down to one car a month ago. We have both been retired for nearly 5 years and we are almost always together so we just don't need two anymore. So far we are not missing having two vehicles.

Its been a couple weeks for us now. Now ill affects. More room in the garage as well!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

The only hassle has been no transportation when we take the car in for service. We usually just end up waiting at the shop.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

im examining the value of the hourly rental services. national average for private ownership autos is that about 17% are on the street at any one time, meaning we pay a large premium to park the car. on first pass, the cost of having, maintaining, insuring an auto exceeds marginally exceeds my costs of my renting (ignoring convenience) but these new hourly rental services make ownership less and less logical- if the zipcar like services are convenient, its hard to imagine why i should own at all- and if the zipcars ever become autonomous and can get themselves to and from my house- it makes it even more convenient.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
im examining the value of the hourly rental services. national average for private ownership autos is that about 17% are on the street at any one time, meaning we pay a large premium to park the car. on first pass, the cost of having, maintaining, insuring an auto exceeds marginally exceeds my costs of my renting (ignoring convenience) but these new hourly rental services make ownership less and less logical- if the zipcar like services are convenient, its hard to imagine why i should own at all- and if the zipcars ever become autonomous and can get themselves to and from my house- it makes it even more convenient.

Because even though I live in the 4th largest city in the country I would need a car to get to the nearest zip car.... at least 25 miles away from me... and the rental rates are plain out of site!!!

It would be cheaper to rent from Enterprise who comes and picks me up... even though they are closer, I would need somebody to take me to them if they did not come to me....
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The only hassle has been no transportation when we take the car in for service. We usually just end up waiting at the shop.
So, you don't take the class A MH out to avoid waiting?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I feel this way as well, and yet, it seems so silly to want an extra car for the rare occasions that we actually need one.

I wish rentals, or zip-car style alternatives were far more common.

-ERD50