Sold the second car this evening.....

Generally have 2 cars at each location. We find we need 2 since I retired. While working only needed one as walked to work. Feel stranded without my own set of wheels.

We will probably keep 2 cars. My dad, who turns 89 this summer was finally thinking of going to 1 car, (he has a 2001 Olds Aurora with 21K on it and a 2015 Lincoln MKZ with 2K so far). After a week or 2 he decided to keep both even though the Olds only gets used about 12 miles per week. As he tells me, he makes more money now on his investments than he ever did while w*rking!

We just went down to one car a month ago. We have both been retired for nearly 5 years and we are almost always together so we just don't need two anymore. So far we are not missing having two vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We just went down to one car a month ago. We have both been retired for nearly 5 years and we are almost always together so we just don't need two anymore. So far we are not missing having two vehicles.

Its been a couple weeks for us now. Now ill affects. More room in the garage as well!

The only hassle has been no transportation when we take the car in for service. We usually just end up waiting at the shop.

im examining the value of the hourly rental services. national average for private ownership autos is that about 17% are on the street at any one time, meaning we pay a large premium to park the car. on first pass, the cost of having, maintaining, insuring an auto exceeds marginally exceeds my costs of my renting (ignoring convenience) but these new hourly rental services make ownership less and less logical- if the zipcar like services are convenient, its hard to imagine why i should own at all- and if the zipcars ever become autonomous and can get themselves to and from my house- it makes it even more convenient.

im examining the value of the hourly rental services. national average for private ownership autos is that about 17% are on the street at any one time, meaning we pay a large premium to park the car. on first pass, the cost of having, maintaining, insuring an auto exceeds marginally exceeds my costs of my renting (ignoring convenience) but these new hourly rental services make ownership less and less logical- if the zipcar like services are convenient, its hard to imagine why i should own at all- and if the zipcars ever become autonomous and can get themselves to and from my house- it makes it even more convenient.

Because even though I live in the 4th largest city in the country I would need a car to get to the nearest zip car.... at least 25 miles away from me... and the rental rates are plain out of site!!!

It would be cheaper to rent from Enterprise who comes and picks me up... even though they are closer, I would need somebody to take me to them if they did not come to me....

The only hassle has been no transportation when we take the car in for service. We usually just end up waiting at the shop.
So, you don't take the class A MH out to avoid waiting? :)

I feel this way as well, and yet, it seems so silly to want an extra car for the rare occasions that we actually need one.

I wish rentals, or zip-car style alternatives were far more common.

-ERD50

Funny how things change. Spent the summer driving the mountain curves in Colorado in the Tahoe. Really missed having a convertible so yesterday found a '14 Mustang convertible! Pick it up in a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom