Join Early Retirement Today

Sold the second car this evening.....
Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold the second car this evening.....

After decades operating 2 cars, we sold our second car this evening. Since I ERd, we just were not using it regularly, so... its gone.

Anyone else find/do the same thing?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired, but was able to do it for 7 years when we both worked at the same company. Loved only having to maintain one car!
WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am retiring next month, but wife and I just sold our second car. We have been car single for a few weeks and we frankly have not missed it. DW is already retired, so that helps. It will be interesting to see how this works out. I may have to
get a moped.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not counting collectables, I'm down to two regular or daily drivers. Now that I'm retired, the DW rarely drives anymore. I think she's driven once this year and maybe 2 or 3 times all of last year so I sold our third daily driver last year.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Well, we have three cars... but son is driving one...

We have to have an SUV that can tow the boat....

Also, there is no way that I would want to be without a car if DW went somewhere.... and I know she feels the same if I am going somewhere...

Nope, not going to a single car unless I cannot drive at all... and I might keep one just to think that I could.....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We're seriously thinking about it. DW has been on a sabbatical since April and while we were living at home, we never needed two cars at the same time. We've been traveling without a car for the last month so obviously haven't used 1 car, let alone 2 cars.

Since many places in our neighborhood are walkable (kids' school, multiple grocery stores, restaurants, ethnic markets, library, 2 parks, 3 bus lines, etc) we can rely on our two feet and/or transit for many trips. Though I doubt we'll ever go carless.

We do have 3 kids and in another year they will be attending 2 different schools and eventually 3 different schools. And the oldest will be driving in another 6 years, so we might want a second car then if she chooses to drive. So we might drop to 1 car for a few years then go back up to 2 cars while the kids are still our responsibility.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This topic grabbed me because, even though usually decisive about money issues, we are struggling with it! We could easily go to one for our limited needs, but can't decide which one to sell and are having trouble pulling the trigger. The 13 year old CR-V is more of a need, with its ability to haul stuff, and it will probably run until the end of time. Gas mileage is probably only 21 mph though and DW only tolerates driving it. She'd like a Suburu wagon. My 2006 Saab was a vanity purchase and is now an extinct brand but, darn it, it's comfortable, we love driving it, it runs great and gets 31 mph highway. Both are long paid off and are covered with cheap liability insurance. Oh well, we save on most things so we can indulge in certain other budget categories so we will probably remain stuck on this particular matter. Glad others could easily make the practical decision and cut the cord though.

Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

We'll probably always have 2 vehicles. A car or SUV For daily driving & trips, and a pickup truck for boat towing and other things that require a truck. I just gotta have a truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
gone traveling

We have two cars - and no arguments over transportation. Would be a different story if public-subsidized public transit was readily available at below cost rates.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We have 5 cars, 2 boats, a fifth wheel RV and three houses. We have a tow vehicle, a people hauler, a sports sedan, the daughter's Honda and a convertible play car.

Auto and homeowners insurance is my biggest single living expense.

I wish I could get the desire to shed myself of toys--and cars. My wife doesn't drive much, and she took the fender off our new Explorer 2 weeks ago--$500 deductible.
But I realistically can go another 10 years without having to buy a vehicle--as my brands and models are all chosen for high resale and low maintenance costs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
We'll probably always have 2 vehicles. A car or SUV For daily driving & trips, and a pickup truck for boat towing and other things that require a truck. I just gotta have a truck!
+1. We use the pickup all the time for hauling larger stuff around (boat, firewood, camper, etc), and we love our little Jeep Wrangler for running around town and going places where we don't need to haul much (it is much more fun to drive than the truck). So, no plans to go down to one vehicle anytime soon.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Living in a rural area, I don't think we'd be comfortable with only one vehicle. Right now we are down to two functional vehicles - and one is a summer-only roadster. Could be used in the winter in a pinch, but not something I'd want to do, even if the roads were clear of snow. Actually had 4 vehicles plus a motorcycle when both working, DW had a Honda that we turned in at lease end to reduce fleet by one. In March my well-used pickup truck got T-boned so that went to the junkyard. Having less to maintain and insure is great, but expect we will either replace my truck if the insurance ever gets settled favorably, or maybe get a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle for long term use. Motorcycle will probably go before long, riding isn't much fun anymore as the aches and pains act up a lot sooner.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We sold our second car before moving to Florida. Now we have one car, a golf cart, two regular bicycles and two e-bikes. Works fine for us.
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We sold our second car a couple of months ago. We don't drive enough to justify 2 vehicles and the second car was turning into an expensive liability.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We have 5 cars, 2 boats, a fifth wheel RV and three houses. We have a tow vehicle, a people hauler, a sports sedan, the daughter's Honda and a convertible play car.

Auto and homeowners insurance is my biggest single living expense.

I wish I could get the desire to shed myself of toys--and cars. My wife doesn't drive much, and she took the fender off our new Explorer 2 weeks ago--$500 deductible.
But I realistically can go another 10 years without having to buy a vehicle--as my brands and models are all chosen for high resale and low maintenance costs.
This is a weakness I share. SUV, truck, sports car, Motor Home, not to mention shared ownership of a dump truck and tractor. Next on the acquisition list is a couple of ATVs. Oh, I have also committed to an older Jeep builder that will go to my favorite charity after it is fixed up. I'm not much on traveling, but I like to tinker.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Gave the second car to our son last year. Have we missed it? Not a bit. We live close to rapid transit.

Plan was to rent a car once in a while if we needed a second car. Have not had to do that.

We actually find ourselves taking rapid transit downtown rather than the hassle of taking the car and finding parking.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Should have added, we live in a very walkable neighborhood and near a great bus route downtown. My wife still works part time, but often just takes the bus to work.

Being in Canada, summers with one car should be a piece of cake. Winters may be more.... challenging
Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
This topic grabbed me because, even though usually decisive about money issues, we are struggling with it! We could easily go to one for our limited needs, but can't decide which one to sell and are having trouble pulling the trigger. The 13 year old CR-V is more of a need, with its ability to haul stuff, and it will probably run until the end of time. Gas mileage is probably only 21 mph though and DW only tolerates driving it. She'd like a Suburu wagon. My 2006 Saab was a vanity purchase and is now an extinct brand but, darn it, it's comfortable, we love driving it, it runs great and gets 31 mph highway. Both are long paid off and are covered with cheap liability insurance. Oh well, we save on most things so we can indulge in certain other budget categories so we will probably remain stuck on this particular matter. Glad others could easily make the practical decision and cut the cord though.

Easy decision for us. Had a 2008 and 2012 Ford Focus. Sold the 2008 which was a coupe. Kept the 5 door hatch. Expected savings will be insurance and maintenance costs on the second car.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #19

We've only had 1 vehicle for over 4 years now. Currently have a Tahoe since we tow a small cargo trailer with a Rzr on our summer escape to the mountains. Not real concerned about the mileage since it's only 1 car, and it's a very comfortable car. If we need a second car for anything we'll just rent one but so far haven't needed it.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold the Lexus 460 work car when I retired, and real happy with a Mini Cooper for shopping and a pickup for towing and hauling. Nice to have the flexibility of running errands at the same time, dropping one vehicle off all day for maintenance, and knowing we have a backup in the event of an emergency
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote