Solo 401K In Plan Conversion to ROTH 1099?

vpracer

Confused about dryer sheets
So, first post here, forgive my ignorance. I've read up on searched threads but am still a bit fuzzy about specific 1099-R reporting. I have a solo 401K with ETrade and did an in plan roth conversion, 401K to roth 401K. I expect the full balance to be taxable, long story but I have a huge tax loss this year that will shield any tax due from conversion. Lucky maybe...

ETrade generated the 1099 as custodian. I was thinking that my 401K plan would be the payer and the recipient but not so, ETrade is payer and the 401K plan is recipient. Also box 1 has the full amount of conversion, box 2a is $0 and box 2b is unchecked. Is that correct? I thought 2a would have the full value of conversion as taxable or at least then 2b would be checked? They did correctly use code G in box 7.

They also used my personal social security # for recipients TIN and not the 401K plan TIN. Is that correct?

Thanks for any insight.

I think they used your personal SS as the TIN because the taxable amount will need to be reported on your personal tax return that keys off of that SS.

Back
Top Bottom