Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

If you think you should return to work, you probably should. Best to do it sooner than later (why stew over it?). You will either be relieved to be back in harness and appreciative of the paycheck or selfworth you rediscover, or you will slap yourself after a few days or weeks and say, what was I thinking? No need to defend yourself either way, imho--it's your life.

I love this board but I agree that in the past year there is much more pessimism in general (that "pessimism" looks like a dirty word ) vs. when I first started reading it three years ago--then, if you ran your numbers through firecalc, you were reassured--now, a lot of people don't trust the results to be "good enough" even though the bad times are accounted for in the projections. We were possibly a little too optimistic three years ago and possibly a lot too pessimistic now?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Bestwifeever;704994]If you think you should return to work, you probably should. Best to do it sooner than later (why stew over it?). You will either be relieved to be back in harness and appreciative of the paycheck or selfworth you rediscover, or you will slap yourself after a few days or weeks and say, what was I thinking? No need to defend yourself either way, imho--it's your life.

/quote]

I got to the slap myself what was I thinking stage in a few months .

Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I got to the slap myself what was I thinking stage in a few months .
Yeah, I slapped myself this year when I did one little freelance project and realized I only did it for pride, to tell myself I still COULD do it, and realized, hey, how old am I? I needed this stupid project to validate myself ?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reading the board this feeling seems to affect the woman more than the men not sure why
Probably because most men wont admit when something like this bothers them.

I mean, come on...a lot of us will stand in cold water up to our waist for 4 hours in order to catch a fish we can buy at the store for $5. Whats a little disconnection from the workplace?

Certainly many of us experience a period of 'about schmidt'edness. Some of us find lives of fulfillment away from the workplace. Some identify closely with what they do for a living. Some need the organized social and financial structure a job offers.

I used to mangle up a few old sayings...'one of the worst things in the world is not getting what you really want. the worst thing in the world is getting what you want and discovering its not what you thought it would be like'.

This is an interesting, very realistic read...
Early Retirement
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Great article CFB ! Thanks for posting !
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Retirees who want to rush back to work because the market is having a hiccup, a cough or even prolonged vomiting, should consider that these financial illnesses come along every several years, and whether you'll want or need to rush back to work each time.
Oh, extremely well-said! You will fit right in here

ta,
mews
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Jan 1993, age 49. Went back to work 1995 for big bucks, no benefits, jobshopper, cured me of the 'going back to work idea.'

As for 'Pursuit of Happiness' - I always try to practice catch and release.

heh heh heh - .
Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If you think you should return to work, you probably should. Best to do it sooner than later (why stew over it?). You will either be relieved to be back in harness and appreciative of the paycheck or selfworth you rediscover, or you will slap yourself after a few days or weeks and say, what was I thinking? No need to defend yourself either way, imho--it's your life.

I love this board but I agree that in the past year there is much more pessimism in general (that "pessimism" looks like a dirty word ) vs. when I first started reading it three years ago--then, if you ran your numbers through firecalc, you were reassured--now, a lot of people don't trust the results to be "good enough" even though the bad times are accounted for in the projections. We were possibly a little too optimistic three years ago and possibly a lot too pessimistic now?
Human beings are predictable, 3 years ago, we were euphoric because the market had come back so strong, money was cheap and easy to get, etc. Now the pendelum has swung the other way, and people also tend to overreact. So now EVERYONE is a bear.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I mean, come on...a lot of us will stand in cold water up to our waist for 4 hours in order to catch a fish we can buy at the store for $5. Whats a little disconnection from the workplace?
Only FOUR hours? Man, you are getting soft........

Fishing for 8 hours while sitting on a plastic bucket in pouring rain when you're 9 years old? Now THAT's FUN!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Only FOUR hours? Man, you are getting soft.
I guess I'm a better fisherman than you are!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess I'm a better fisherman than you are!
I think EVERYONE was a better fisherman than I was at 9. However, I can hold my own. My dad was a musky guide in Northern Wisconsin, and passed along a few tricks..........

Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Well, to be fair about the only way I could catch a fish right now is if I fell in the water and one got caught in my clothes.

But I sure did pretty well as a kid. We were always going fishing. I had an unorthodox method when I was 4/5. When I got a bite I'd get nervous and forget about reeling, and just turned and ran away from the water with the pole, dragging the hapless fish up onto land at some point.

Hey, it worked.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, to be fair about the only way I could catch a fish right now is if I fell in the water and one got caught in my clothes.

But I sure did pretty well as a kid. We were always going fishing. I had an unorthodox method when I was 4/5. When I got a bite I'd get nervous and forget about reeling, and just turned and ran away from the water with the pole, dragging the hapless fish up onto land at some point.

Hey, it worked.

That's what my youngest kid does........

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Actually, I have tossed around the idea of returning to work... because, at times, I feel a need to re-connect and contribute. I retired in January and enjoy the freedom very much. Even so, I think there are things yet for me to do other than volunteer work, home improvements, Costco visits to save a buck and endless vacations.
I have a hard time relating to this point of view. It implies that work is the only thing that can give life true/deep meaning. I guess I fail to see how being paid for what you spend your time doing and/or doing what other people want as opposed to what you want is somehow more meaningful or satisfying.

How is volunteer work less satisfying than paid-for work? Do you feel more valuable if you are paid? Do you feel that your efforts are worthless if you are not paid? Do people treat you with less respect or appreciation if you are not paid?

Is this an introvert/extrovert thing? Some folks have a strong need for social interaction, and being a valued part of a large organization can satisfy this need. Is a commercial concern the only way to meet that need?

Is there really nothing else to do in retirement besides volunteering, home improvement, endless vacations, and Costco visits? The subtext here seem to be - retirement is filled with essentially meaningless activities. Is that really a fundamental characteristic of retired life - doomed to meaningless activities?

No dissing here I promise. I'm just struggling to really understand. How is reconnecting and contributing connected to work exactly? Is it truly exclusive to work?

I can understand someone saying - "I really need to be part of something larger than myself." Fair enough. Then the next step, now that you marvelously no longer need to actually earn a living, is to figure out what would be the neatest, coolest big "thing" you could be a part of, since salary is no longer a critical factor.

Nothing wrong with going back to work as part of the process of trying to discover what it is you really want to do with the rest of your life. Even if someone hasn't done all his "homework" as listed in Nords' post, going back to work will certainly help clarify quite few murky issues, I imagine. Nothing wrong with multiple attempts to figure out what to do with the rest of your life. It's a process. Each of us has to find our own path through life - there is no one way.

Audrey
Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That's what my youngest kid does........
Although the chances are remote that he's afflicted with whatever caused CFB to turn out the way he did, I'd get the kid checked out. Stat.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have a hard time relating to this point of view. It implies that work is the only thing that can give life true/deep meaning. I guess I fail to see how being paid for what you spend your time doing and/or doing what other people want as opposed to what you want is somehow more meaningful or satisfying.

How is volunteer work less satisfying than paid-for work? Do you feel more valuable if you are paid? Do you feel that your efforts are worthless if you are not paid? Do people treat you with less respect or appreciation if you are not paid?

Audrey

For me the reason I returned to work because it was familiar and easier than figuring out how to remake my life minus the huge aspects work filled . That return to work helped solidlfy my decision that enough was enough.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Although the chances are remote that he's afflicted with whatever caused CFB to turn out the way he did, I'd get the kid checked out. Stat.
Yeah, you dont want him growing up to become a wildly successful multimillionaire before he's 39 or anything like that!

I'm just pleased to see that a method that worked 43 years ago still works today.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For me the reason I returned to work because it was familiar and easier than figuring out how to remake my life minus the huge aspects work filled . That return to work helped solidlfy my decision that enough was enough.
Yeah, that was what I figured would happen to many folks who decide to try work again. Maybe you start thinking "Surely there is a better way?......"?

It's true. Retirement does kind of force you to "remake your life". You do have to take a lot more responsibility for your living, day to day as well as the big picture.

Audrey
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I can understand someone saying - "I really need to be part of something larger than myself." Fair enough. Then the next step, now that you marvelously no longer need to actually earn a living, is to figure out what would be the neatest, coolest big "thing" you could be a part of, since salary is no longer a critical factor.

Audrey
Deja vu. It doesn't imply that, no one said work is the the "only thing"...

While I'll concede it's the exception (and you're evidently from the unhappy majority) --- why do you think it's impossible to be paid for doing the "neatest, coolest big 'thing' you could be a part of?" There are lots of public figures (actors, athletes, authors, CEO's) who are on record saying 'they can't believe they get paid (a lot) to do what they love - and even say they would do it for free.' And there are people in all walks of life who feel the same way, most are just not quoted celebrities. I've known quite a few, you've never met anyone who didn't love their (paid) job?

My second career will be more about what enjoy doing and less about how much it pays, but I'll still get paid...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Hey everyone,

I truly appreciate all of your comments. I don't know if I will return to work, but have thought about it particularly since a very interesting opportunity has recently come my way. It's a position which pays very well, involves fastinating work, and provides an chance to do something really important. It was strange it came my way at this particular time.

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so. Sure, DH and I have been concerned, like most folks, to see our net worth go down. Even so, we realize it's really just a dip in our long term financial picture and there's no reason to panic.

At this point, I am leaning towards applying for the position and see what happens. There's a good chance going into an office setting again will send me running for the door. If that happens, I just return to being a early retiree knowing it just wasn't meant to be.

I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend. I will be thinking of everyone in Gustav's potential path and hoping next week we are all talking about how it was no big deal.

Purron