Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so.
Many of us think you're on the right track...good luck.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so. Sure, DH and I have been concerned, like most folks, to see our net worth go down. Even so, we realize it's really just a dip in our long term financial picture and there's no reason to panic.
If this accurately describes the position, I'd take it too. And part of my reason would be that I wanted the money. All our figuring and plans are based on a supposed map of what can/will happen. What does happen is yet to be revealed.

In my own case, I think plenty about money adequacy. And it has nothing to do with this supposed bear market. Since 10/31/2007 my accounts are up 1%, even after taking out $48,500 in living expenses and taxes during that time. So while not a bad result, I am losing when inflation is considered. Living from a portfolio is harder than it looks.

So good luck with your plans. I hope you enjoy it and also make a pile.

Ha

Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's a process. Each of us has to find our own path through life - there is no one way.
Agreed. For me, work was a job (e.g. not a "career"). I did it strictly for the income/benefits.

I did it because I was required to, not because I had any pride nor thinking that I was "part of a larger picture". It was simply something I needed to do for me (and later, my family) to survive with the basics of food, clothing, and shelter.

I still consider myself lucky. I "got out" at an early age and these days (for the first time) I awake every day with a smile on my face ...

- Ron
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so.

Purron
Work? Do what makes you happy. That's what it's all about.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Purron
Purron -- I don't think you're out of your mind. One thought might be to see if you can work part-time in the new position. That can provide a more gentle transition to your new life.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While I'll concede it's the exception (and you're evidently from the unhappy majority) --- why do you think it's impossible to be paid for doing the "neatest, coolest big 'thing' you could be a part of?"
I didn't say it was impossible to be paid for that. My point was that when you no longer have to worry about making a living, a whole new world of choices opens up. Whether you decide to get paid or not (and how much) is entirely up to you.

Anyone can do whatever they want. I know people who still work who have more money than they will ever need in their lifetime, and yes, they would probably do it for free. I certainly understand their motivation.

Audrey
Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know if I will return to work, but have thought about it particularly since a very interesting opportunity has recently come my way. It's a position which pays very well, involves fastinating work, and provides an chance to do something really important. It was strange it came my way at this particular time.
Well that certainly sounds like a positive motive to get involved.

Audrey
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Anyone can do whatever they want.
Maybe in your dreams...... But I don't think so...... Lots of folks stuck doiing things they don't really want to do.....
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Maybe in your dreams...... But I don't think so...... Lots of folks stuck doiing things they don't really want to do.....
Whatever they want in terms of choosing to get paid or not (once they no longer need to earn a living).

Audrey
Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know many of you think I'm out of my mind for thinking about work again since there is no real financial need to do so. Sure, DH and I have been concerned, like most folks, to see our net worth go down. Even so, we realize it's really just a dip in our long term financial picture and there's no reason to panic.
Here's a thought experiment to try before you shake hands over the offer:

Would you still take the job if you were required to pay taxes on your income and then donate the rest to charity? In other words, no net financial gain or benefits?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here's a thought experiment to try before you shake hands over the offer:

Would you still take the job if you were required to pay taxes on your income and then donate the rest to charity? In other words, no net financial gain or benefits?
Interesting thought Nords. I haven't even submitted an application let alone received an offer, but I will think about this. Right now, I would be inclined to say no to your question. While the job would be very interesting, I wouldn't take it without some financial gain.