Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I've never done that but then my common-sense bar is pretty low

It does sound like a mistake on the applicant's part--maybe they used gmail.com instead of yahoo.com, for example. If the OP doesn't want to give SS number to Capital One then it probably will never be resolved.
Ha! I don't think so....if you had applied for a CC and put down your email address for account alerts, statement notification, etc. and after a month or two (the OP said there was a payment made) of not receiving any emails I am sure you would check your account online and see if everything was correct

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

No--I still get paper bills for almost everything (I told you the bar was low --if I get hit by a bus DH would easily be able to take over until he set up his own system involving an abacus and paper checks sent by snail mail--but that's another low-bar topic) and although I do pay online, not all accounts also email me that a payment is due. I wouldn't notice the absence of an email and haven't ever checked to see that my contact information is accurate. And if I did feel like there were emails I wasn't getting, I would just ask Midpack (the OP) if he had received them .

Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Can't C1 contact the person by other-than-email and ask him/her to check the accuracy of the email associated with the account?
That's what I was hoping for, but not so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Since you are not comfortable providing information, when you call their published customer service number (not when someone calls you), are you able to confirm general information like street name, city, state, last 4 digits of social security number? Any of this seem accurate?
I just don't want to provide my Soc Sec #, but they won't even look at the acct without me disclosing same. They won't share any info on the acct, and I wouldn't expect them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Because they do not change a customers email address just because an unknown person tells them to.
I haven't asked them to change the email address, I have no idea what the actual cardholders email address is. I have told them the one they've associated with cardholder name (not mine) ending in XXXX is incorrect. I would think C1 would want the cardholders correct email address, and I was hoping they would contact the cardholder to verify email address, and presumably correct it. Seems reasonable to me, evidently not...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Midpack, the last 4 digits of your SS should be sufficient for them to identify if the account owner is likely using the same SS as your own. Will they accept just the 4 numbers? The likelihood that the last 4 would be identical is very small unless it were intentional. Having confirmed that they don't have identity theft problems, C1 should be grateful you reported the problem and fix it.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't be so paranoid about releasing my SSN to the CC fraud department. SSNs are floating around all over the place and a fraud department is not a likely culprit for misusing it. It certainly seems worth confirming that the account you are seeing isn't some sort of identity theft actually using your SSN. Crooks do stupid things - accidentally putting a real email address into the profile is not out of the question.

Also, have you considered freezing your credit? That prevents anyone from opening a new line of credit in your name. I did it about ten years ago and sleep easier.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I wouldn't be so paranoid about releasing my SSN to the CC fraud department. SSNs are floating around all over the place and a fraud department is not a likely culprit for misusing it.
+1
Folks there have access to millions of people's data, yours would have to be pretty special to get any notice. They aren't going to make it a permanent part of anything so no long term security issues. If you want it fixed make it C1's problem.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #27

If it shows up on your Credit Report, submit a dispute report and Experian will take care of it. I doubt it will show up on your Credit Report.

If it doesn't then it sounds like C1's back office typed the email address wrong or something transferred between screens, etc. I'd give C1 the last 4 digits of your SSN and if that doesn't work, I'd give them your full SSN. Quite honestly if you received mailings from them, they probably have it anyway!

Also it sounds like to solve the issue it requires you to do something to prove you are who you say you are to C1…or keep getting the emails. Or go higher up the chain with C1. Looking at it from their perspective, they can't just change an account holders email because you called and let them know.
Yes, they "should" or "could" try to contact the account holder and re-verify the email but it doesn't sound like they have done that either.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Isn't this simply a case of someone mistyping their email? In which case C1 shouldn't have any of Midpack's other info, and I don't think he really needs to give it.

It won't show up on any Experian or other credit report unless that person is also using Midpack's SS# or name and address. So I sincerely doubt it will show up in the credit history Credit reports don't track email addresses.

It's always worth checking your credit history annually regardless.

It's annoying getting someone else's emails because they put in the wrong email address. But I don't think it is a security risk to Midpack - just to the person who made the error. It leaves them vulnerable to someone else taking over their account.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Isn't this simply a case of someone mistyping their email? In which case C1 shouldn't have any of Midpack's other info, and I don't think he really needs to give it.

It won't show up on any Experian or other credit report unless that person is also using Midpack's SS# or name and address. So I sincerely doubt it will show up in the credit history Credit reports don't track email addresses.

It's always worth checking your credit history annually regardless.

It's annoying getting someone else's emails because they put in the wrong email address. But I don't think it is a security risk to Midpack - just to the person who made the error. It leaves them vulnerable to someone else taking over their account.
+1, that's what I was trying to say in post #1. Most likely just a nuisance, the only info I can see is NOT mine, but C1 won't correct it...for reasons I can't fathom.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1, that's what I was trying to say in post #1. Most likely just a nuisance, the only info I can see is NOT mine, but C1 won't correct it...for reasons I can't fathom.
Although it would be convenient for you if they removed the email address from that account, it's not your account and they are probably playing it safe by not making any changes to that account from an unknown caller. I wouldn't want any random person who knows or guesses my email address to call my CC company, pretend it was their email address, and effectively stop all my email alerts.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Although it would be convenient for you if they removed the email address from that account, it's not your account and they are probably playing it safe by not making any changes to that account from an unknown caller. I wouldn't want any random person who knows or guesses my email address to call my CC company, pretend it was their email address, and effectively stop all my email alerts.
How hard would it be for them to contact the account holder and verify the email address they have on record? I am not asking them to do anything based on my word...I just know they have the wrong email address at present. Not sure what I am missing here, but minor in the overall scheme...

Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #32

If your email address is associated with the account, I'd use that email address as the userid for the card's web site. Click the forgot password link. You'd get an email, which would let you log on. Then go into settings and change the email address to youareanidiot@getabrain.com. But you might need to know the idiot's favorite high school teacher, and that would blow the plan to smithereens.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If your email address is associated with the account, I'd use that email address as the userid for the card's web site. Click the forgot password link. You'd get an email, which would let you log on. Then go into settings and change the email address to youareanidiot@getabrain.com. But you might need to know the idiot's favorite high school teacher, and that would blow the plan to smithereens.
I might just do that if it keeps up, thanks...

Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How hard would it be for them to contact the account holder and verify the email address they have on record? I am not asking them to do anything based on my word...I just know they have the wrong email address at present. Not sure what I am missing here, but minor in the overall scheme...
They could do that but they won't. Contacting the account holder and letting them know the email address is incorrect doesn't sound too great to C1. If I got that call, as the account holder, my question to C1 would be "how much of my data did you morons give away". They have no ability to validate that anyone's email address is correct, unless something requires multistep email account validation. They don't so any character string that could be an email address is valid. So C1 is not going to open up that pile-o-stink with their customer.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They could do that but they won't. Contacting the account holder and letting them know the email address is incorrect doesn't sound too great to C1. If I got that call, as the account holder, my question to C1 would be "how much of my data did you morons give away". They have no ability to validate that anyone's email address is correct, unless something requires multistep email account validation. They don't so any character string that could be an email address is valid. So C1 is not going to open up that pile-o-stink with their customer.
Some accounts require an email verification step where an email is sent and the user clicks on a link to continue registration. But I notice this part is often skipped these days - or I see it more for online subscriptions rather than financial accounts.. I usually note that I received a "thank you for registering" email to know everything is OK.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa bear View Post
+1
You can also try to login to their account with your email address. "Forget your password" often just sends a new one to your email address. I did that with Expedia and called the lady - she had entered all her contact info. She had no idea that she wasn't using her own email address...
Usually a banks "forgot password" is much more robust than Expedia requirse. Either asking password secret questions, last 4 digits of SSN, card number, etc. Just checked C1 website, they require you to call them if you forgot your username or password.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Ha! I don't think so....if you had applied for a CC and put down your email address for account alerts, statement notification, etc. and after a month or two (the OP said there was a payment made) of not receiving any emails I am sure you would check your account online and see if everything was correct
They may not even recall setting up account for electronic / email delivery.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #38

If the bank is smart, they've started a process to confirm or correct email address. You are not the account holder, and won't be included in the process. If bank reveals other persons info to you it is a violation of law.

If you attempt to login to another's account, and are caught, it could lead to legal action against you.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If the bank is smart, they've started a process to confirm or correct email address. You are not the account holder, and won't be included in the process. If bank reveals other persons info to you it is a violation of law.

If you attempt to login to another's account, and are caught, it could lead to legal action against you.
The bank is not smart...

Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #40

Quote:
The bank is not smart...
It's not the bank's responsibility to remedy this, it's the account owner.