Join Early Retirement Today

Someone please bump the dollar (or cap the Euro)!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Someone please bump the dollar (or cap the Euro)!

Since the start of the year, the market hasn't done too badly. So why is my portfolio - in Euros - flat?

I guess it could have something to do with this:

Half my portfolio is outside the Euro zone, and while not every currency has dropped as much as the USD, the Euro has certainly been very strong. I reckon I'd be 5% better off overall if the two had been stable since Jan 1. Grrr.

Still, "make lemonade" and all that: I will probable be visiting the US at least once and maybe twice this year, so I can afford a nicer hotel.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Fed needs to start raising interest rate despite the worries of economic recovery. If not, we are going to have another late 70's and early 80's inflation horror. Two simple steps to raising value of dollar which will not happen.
1. Stop printing money
2. Raise interest rate

But it won't happen because with people's money in the bank losing value, government pays debt with lower value than when it borrowed.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Since the start of the year, the market hasn't done too badly. So why is my portfolio - in Euros - flat?

Half my portfolio is outside the Euro zone, and while not every currency has dropped as much as the USD, the Euro has certainly been very strong. I reckon I'd be 5% better off overall if the two had been stable since Jan 1. Grrr.
True, but you still have accessible and affordable health care.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #4

I would not be surprised if 1 euro = $2 by 2015.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Since oil is pretty much priced in dollars it ought to make living in Europe and other places whose currency is improving cheaper places to live.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:

Still, "make lemonade" and all that: I will probable be visiting the US at least once and maybe twice this year, so I can afford a nicer hotel.
Does this make you feel better?
SINGER$MARKET: Annotated US Dollar Index - $USD - Monthly - Cash
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

If you measure the (US) market in Euros or $AUD then the market is flat or actually declining.

The gains in the Dow and S$P500 make us feel better but in terms of purchasing power the gains just may be illusory.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Since oil is pretty much priced in dollars it ought to make living in Europe and other places whose currency is improving cheaper places to live.
I suppose that it cushions the effects of commodity price rises somewhat, but in local terms we're paying 25% more for gas than 2 years ago, and that's with over half the price being a fixed amount per gallon of tax. Super-Premium gas is close to $10 a gallon in Germany right now.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
True, but you still have accessible and affordable health care.
But austerity, at least in the UK..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Super-Premium gas is close to $10 a gallon in Germany right now.
Does this price seem to be affecting miles driven very much?

Ha
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #11

@BigNick - yup - ouch is the word here in Deutschland, too. I saw $1.52 for a Euro - double ouch!!!!! Only good thing is my European customers pay in Euros.....

Gas is expensive in general in Europe....ugghhh....and public transit is getting any cheaper either. Only good thing I can think of is the pathways between towns and towns beign ~ 5m apart so walking locally is workable.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does this price seem to be affecting miles driven very much?
I saw a couple of anecdotes about this from the UK, but I guess the answer will be in the volume of fuel sold, and I'm not sure if those figures are published. I do know that the media coverage tends to be "mentioned once a month, third item on the bulletin", perhaps when a politician makes a suggestion for tweaking the tax, rather than the wall-to-wall coverage which it gets in the US. When Obama released his birth certificate, the BBC's US correspondent went to a diner to ask people what they thought and he reported that most of them wanted to talk about the price of gas. (Any politician who proposed $6/gallon in Europe would gain several percentage points in the ratings!)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #13

they should raise the interest rates and take the oil out of the hands of pension and hedge fund speculators. with interest rates so low funds can make a lot of money speculating on oil, while ruining the economy for others. oil should not be sold for speculation.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Administrator

Hey BigNick, the euro is halfway back. Feeling any better?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Lots of talk again about a "plunging dollar." Ranks up there with inflation fears that never seem to materialize.

So let's look at the dollar exchange rate over time.

This graph makes me think three things 1) Exchange rates have moved sideways within a wide band for the last 30 years. 2) I don't recall anyone worrying about a collapse in the dollar between 2001 and 2007 when the slide was far larger than today's. 3) The biggest period of dollar decline (from 1984 to 1987) also corresponded to the years of greatest economic growth.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good
Lots of talk again about a "plunging dollar." Ranks up there with inflation fears that never seem to materialize.

So let's look at the dollar exchange rate over time.

This graph makes me think three things 1) Exchange rates have moved sideways within a wide band for the last 30 years. 2) I don't recall anyone worrying about a collapse in the dollar between 2001 and 2007 when the slide was far larger than today's. 3) The biggest period of dollar decline (from 1984 to 1987) also corresponded to the years of greatest economic growth.
I think fears have less to do with exchange rates and more to do with the amount of money we're printing (not literally, but on paper) and the growing amount of national debt.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #17

I just ran the numbers from last July, when if you recall we had a pretty nice market run-up. Since then, excluding new money, I'm up 3.06% in Euros and 15.7% in USD.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just ran the numbers from last July, when if you recall we had a pretty nice market run-up. Since then, excluding new money, I'm up 3.06% in Euros and 15.7% in USD.
Hard to figure out which currency is in worse shape. The dollar with massive deficits and debt and a coming debt crisis. Or the Euro with all of the smaller economy, Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal, and I guess now Italy being under stress.

I am thinking the Swiss Franc is looking better and better, along with a smattering of the Brazilian Real, and Chinese Yuan.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp

Hard to figure out which currency is in worse shape. The dollar with massive deficits and debt and a coming debt crisis. Or the Euro with all of the smaller economy, Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal, and I guess now Italy being under stress.

I am thinking the Swiss Franc is looking better and better, along with a smattering of the Brazilian Real, and Chinese Yuan.
Yeah but then you have the inflation China is potentially facing and the potential collapse of their housing market. I don't know that anyone has a real good idea where any of it is heading, definitely not in the short term.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I would not be surprised if 1 euro = $2 by 2015.
Well......... Looks like I am not the only one whose predictions are not the best.

Last I checked a Euro was worth about $1.19.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote