Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, I know it is perplexing but I chose this date just because I didn't want to wait any longer! I have read all the articles about the "best" day to retire, based on priorities such as when the first pension check will arrive and the maximum annual leave that can be accumulated and cashed out and so on, but I really don't care very much about these priorities. To sum up, the day I selected was just a matter of personal preference.

If that seems weird, how about this? I just used up almost ALL of my annual leave instead of keeping it to cash out, and I am not even a little bit sorry that I did. Now that is a very non-standard thing to do, as well. I am just a very non-standard person with non-standard priorities.

9 more days (4.5 more work days) and I am DONE, finis, history, outtathere.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Even though I still have 12 weeks to go I'm a nervous wreck and will continue to be so until I at least sign on the dotted line. My pension is complicated with service in the UK to be validated and for confirmation that years service with that previous employer counts when calculating when I can retire. (all verbal promises, nothing in writing so far).

I too am surprising everyone by planning on taking my 5 weeks of vacation ahead of time for the same reasons - but I just wanna to be FREE!

It's great that you are down to the last few days - enjoy that last day, and I suspect you'll sleep very well that night.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniw View Post
Can I be a pain? I am new to this board and would like to understand the abbreviations:

TSP
ROTH
COLA
WR and
VERA

Thanks
TSP: Thrift Savings Plan, which is the federal employees' and military's 401K equivalent

ROTH: This usually refers to a Roth IRA.

COLA: Cost Of Living Adjustment

WR: Withdrawal Rate

VERA: Federal employees can retire early if there is a VERA. "Voluntary Early Retirement Authority."

Some other acronyms are available here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34882.html

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Even though I still have 12 weeks to go I'm a nervous wreck and will continue to be so until I at least sign on the dotted line. My pension is complicated with service in the UK to be validated and for confirmation that years service with that previous employer counts when calculating when I can retire. (all verbal promises, nothing in writing so far).

I too am surprising everyone by planning on taking my 5 weeks of vacation ahead of time for the same reasons - but I just wanna to be FREE!

It's great that you are down to the last few days - enjoy that last day, and I suspect you'll sleep very well that night.
Thank you! At this point I feel like a marathon runner who can see the finish line, and I am just hoping that I make it. I am pretty sure that I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerchick View Post
Using leave makes more sense, actually - increases time in service...
You KNOW I'm jealous! - congratulations on reaching SHORT-timer status!
Thank you so much! I am pretty thrilled about retiring in just 9 days.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you Moderator, much appreciated. I stumbled upon this site purely by chance and I think its superb!
Vinniw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniw View Post
Thank you Moderator, much appreciated. I stumbled upon this site purely by chance and I think its superb!
Welcome to the forum. Are you British or just living there at present, and where, if any place, do you have in mind to retire to?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
thinks it should work out ok if we keep our expenses to under $50,000 a year. The calculators I have used (many, Firecalc etc) seem to think it is ok. Finally put ourselves on a money spending check the last 4 months...a high of $3500 in July while doing some traveling and the last 2 month both look to come in at $2000 or less.....plan is for $4000 a month so well within that limit even with a few unexpected costs. ..

I can really understand your need to retire but make sure you really can live on that budget . I 've seen too many people with bare bone budgets just because they really want to retire . I spend the same amount in retirement as I did while working and sometimes more if I ramp up my travel or do home projects . Will you be happy with that budget or will you feel stifled ? That is the thing you need to look at .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, I know you had your own good reasons for using your leave instead of getting paid for it. Still, it is a great benefit to be able to get paid for unused vacation time.

Husband saved all his leave--carryover from previous year, plus current year's earned leave--for a whole year before retiring, and got a very nice check for his 440-plus hours, even after 40% was deducted for taxes. During the year that he didn't take annual leave, he still was able to take days off by working credit hours [for those unfamiliar, credit hours are hours worked beyond your normal work day; you get to take them off later]. Not saying it was easy, but he was committed to the idea, and I admired him for it. Hope I can manage to do the same, when it's my turn.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
W2R, I know you had your own good reasons for using your leave instead of getting paid for it. Still, it is a great benefit to be able to get paid for unused vacation time.

Husband saved all his leave--carryover from previous year, plus current year's earned leave--for a whole year before retiring, and got a very nice check for his 440-plus hours, even after 40% was deducted for taxes. During the year that he didn't take annual leave, he still was able to take days off by working credit hours [for those unfamiliar, credit hours are hours worked beyond your normal work day; you get to take them off later]. Not saying it was easy, but he was committed to the idea, and I admired him for it. Hope I can manage to do the same, when it's my turn.
Horses for courses I think and I can understand W2R completely. I have been literally gritting my teeth and hanging on for the last 3 years, really disliking going to work each day but the huge bonus of hanging on is pension plus health benefits. An extra 5 weeks pay (for me) is peanuts compared to the pension and health insurance.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Like Amethyst's husband, last summer I had built up the maximum possible amount of leave time (reached use or lose at the end of 2008, and used no leave after that). I have been busily using it up since then, especially during the past three months.

Yes, you get money for cashing it in, though I suppose you get money for working, too. At present my nestegg is in decent shape, and the extra pay (after taxes less than $10K) just isn't that important to my retirement financial plan. Some people pay that much for international travel - - to me, the equivalent luxury was using most of my leave on my four long "staycations" to maintain my health and sanity, instead of going in to spend long hours at a high pressure and stressful job every day. My vacations have allowed me to be essentially semi-retired (periodically retired?) since September, and to ease the transition to retirement. All in all, I think using vacation or not is simply a matter of personal preference regarding how to spend one's money.

Alan, I really ENJOYED having the time off!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a similar thing as W2R - but not quite as much, I had more than the max the company would pay for unused vacation time (7 weeks), so I took a week off the week before my last week. It actually had the additional benefit of kicking me into another month which meant my health benefits were paid for a whole 'nother month!

I used this week as a "test run" for me, and for everyone else! The folks at work got a chance to make sure they really had everything they needed, I went out and did a lot of fun things at home pretending to be retired. My last week working was a lot more relaxed, I think, than it would have been because of taking the week off before as people got things figured out sooner rather than later. Somehow miraculously it worked that way.

Wow W2R - 9 more days!!!!! We'll be counting down with you!

DH says - then you can enjoy your back yard and watch the ever changing views on your TV. He doesn't browse this forum very often, but he remembers you and your TV views!!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't want to shoot holes in your plan but having retired in Jan. 2008 I saw what a bad year could do to a portfolio . I would never retire without ample padding . It would just be to stressful and you do not seem to have ample padding IMO.
July 2007 for me. .... what Moemg said
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moemg, oh yes....constantly wondering about things like this..... it's what is qualifying me as obsessed. Some people wash their hands all the time.... I day-dream. We started an accurate check back in Jan 08 that we (probably me) were just too lazy to keep doing. I thought I had a pretty good idea what we were spending without the budget but I wanted it in black and white right in front of my eyes. Just added up the Oct total and including insurance, utilities, food, and 2 days hotel bills etc, we were at $2074.43. Our main point of confidence is the fact that we are BORING people. We LIKE being at home. We just spent 2 days at the beach at Saltburn by-the-sea (don't go there, Redcar is better)....we like being home better. Once my wife spends money on fixing the house she doesn't spend as much as I do.....and I don't spend much until I need a "new toy" which doesn't happen much anymore. We DO need to come back to the UK once a year, but that is basically just a plane ticket and maybe a rental car for a week or so. Ahh, hell...I can sit here and justify things all day long. I would like to have a little more money, and working even one year longer "makes sense" financially. It will be this time next year before we can make a decision.....and even that will depend a little bit on the Pound/Dollar exchange rate. Right now I would think it is at least 75% that we pull the plug at the end of the next school year.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
actually it is MRA with 30 years of service or 60 with 20years.
Correct - at 56 (my MRA Min Retirement Age) I will have 38+ years in and will get the SS Supplement until 62
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #34

militaryman.....would you get the suppliment without the early retirement offer? I don't think I would. I think I would also get a decent hit (5% a year) penalty on getting out before 62 I thought...... The VERA is the only chance I could get out early, and with the way the school system is going these days I don't want to stick around and deal with things.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Umm... is it normal (or healthy) to be obsessed by ER at age 37?
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
It is around here!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
On my last day I am tempted to shout "I DID IT!!" on my way out the door.
I've been thinking something more to the tune of: free at last, free at last, lord god almighty I'm free at last

Steve
PS. Not sure I have the guts to do it though !!!
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
militaryman.....would you get the suppliment without the early retirement offer? I don't think I would. I think I would also get a decent hit (5% a year) penalty on getting out before 62 I thought...... The VERA is the only chance I could get out early, and with the way the school system is going these days I don't want to stick around and deal with things.
My MRA is 56 and 8months as I was born in 1968 and aill have over 30 years of service at 56yrs and 8mos

Here are the requirements for Federal SS Supplement
  1. after 30 years of service at or after your MRA (minimum retirement age); or
  2. after 20 years of service at or after age 60; or
  3. under one of the special provisions for law enforcement officers, firefighters, air traffic controllers, or military reserve technicians; or
  4. under discontinued service retirement or early retirement (that is, a major RIF, reorganization, or transfer of function) provisions. However, if you retire on a discontinued service or an early retirement, you will have to wait until you reach your MRA before you can begin to receive the supplement.
Your Minimum Retirement Age will range between 55 and 57, depending on the year you were born. Take a look at the list below to find your MRA for FERS Retirement...
Choose the year you were born to find your MRA

Year you were born......Your MRA is
  • Born Before 1948.......55
  • Born in 1948.............55 and 2 months
  • Born in 1949.............55 and 4 months
  • Born in 1950.............55 and 6 months
  • Born in 1951.............55 and 8 months
  • Born in 1952.............55 and 10 months
  • Born in 1953-1964.....56
  • Born in 1965.............56 and 2 months
  • Born in 1966.............56 and 4 months
  • Born in 1967.............56 and 6 months
  • Born in 1968.............56 and 8 months
  • Born in 1969.............56 and 10 months
  • Born in 1970.............57
  • Born after 1970.........57
The special retirement supplement (also known as the FERS supplement) is unique to FERS. It substitutes for the Social Security part of your total FERS benefit until age 62, when most people become eligible for Social Security. The purpose of the supplement is to provide a level of income before age 62 similar to what you will receive at age 62 as part of a Social Security benefit. The supplement stops at age 62 even if you are not eligible for Social Security.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

I received the Fers Survivor Pension benefit with the SS supplement since I was only 51 when I was widowed . The benefit was only $300 a month and stopped at age 60 when I became eligible for the SS survivor benefit . You do not automatically get it . You have to call the government several times and be put on hold and transferred forever but if you have the patience you will get it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I made my ER plans at age 38 - started getting obsessed about 10 years later