Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Soup Lines Ahead? Bill Gross Speaks
Old 09-05-2006, 04:51 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, something has to change and the INS/DHS needs to get serious about addressing backlogs. Coming to the US after having been married in Italy was insane for us. DH (barring being a felon or having TB or something..) had a guaranteed right to permanent residency, but it still took almost a year to pull together from abroad (during which time he was not allowed to even VISIT the US); then once in the US he was issued a green card that expired in one year.. it took them more than 2 years BEYOND its expiration date to inform us that his permanent green card was ready. After more than 3 years in the US, we'd already left to go back to Italy! (I think if he'd had the permanent card in hand we might still be in the US...). How do you think a potential employer will look at someone with an expired green card and an expired letter of extension 2 years old?

The card's now waiting (I assume) at the JFK Federal Bldg.! Except now that he's left the country, we'd have to start the whole thing all over again. It's Dickensian.. the system has no concept of people's actual lives.. you could move three times, have 2 kids, or die before they even get to square one with your paperwork.

If this is how the US treats legal, law-abiding, professional, educated, English-speaking immigrants with financial means... our country is in sad shape indeed. There may have been laws and procedures in the past, but I imagine the processing took minutes or hours or days or weeks, not YEARS.

100 years ago, 80% of the population of NYC was either foreign-born or children of immigrants. At Ellis Island in 1907 they processed 1 MILLION immigrants in that year, up to 5000/day. They worked in the factories and farms, built roads and railroads, and contributed to the country's wealth. The US need immigrants!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
The card's now waiting (I assume) at the JFK Federal Bldg.! Except now that he's left the country, we'd have to start the whole thing all over again. It's Dickensian..
To top it off, the IRS probably considers him still a resident (and taxable as such) even if the INS doesn't, because he hasn't yet officially surrendered his green card...

Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
he hasn't yet officially surrendered his green card...
yeh, right! I wrote an e-mail to the US embassy in Florence. I'd heard that you have to make a sworn statement in front of a consular officer in addition to turning in the green card to get off the tax hook. I wanted to know what to do if he isn't in physical possession of the card.

That was in Dec. '05. Nobody answered my mail.

Right now I don't care too much since I am filing jointly which reduces our taxes; he's only made a pittance so far in his startup consultancy. Next year he should see some decent income so it will become an issue then and a phone call will be in order to see if we can sort it out. But thanks for the heads-up...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
They do not tend to be well-educated and many speak very little english. This has been true of most immigrants to this country over the years. The second and third generations of the immigrating families tend to overcome these challenges. I imagine many of the posters on this board can attest to this fact for their own families.
They have a different cultural background from most of us. That culture has different values than many of us. Those values are not better and they are not worse. They are different. Over time, the desendents of these immigrants are likely to adopt more and more of our values and if we are lucky, we will adopt many of theirs.
So as CFB often asked when this issue came up, "What problem are we trying to solve?"
I think you've described the pioneer spirit of America that many immigrant's descendents have assumed is their birthright.

I don't think that closing the borders is any more effective than fighting the war on drugs. Both are huge black holes that absorb horrendous sums of money and attract tremendous corruption. The "problem" appears to be that people are perceived to be unfairly monopolizing scarce resources like hospital emergency rooms and welfare offices, or inspiring criminal activity.

As Martha has pointed out, people don't want to move if they don't have to. Perhaps the problem could be eased with some sort of EU-style exchange program among the American countries, or the payment of impact funding by the immigrant's country of origin. Or tax-break incentives to companies for hiring employees with real SSNs who'll paying into Social Security.

Otherwise we'd spend a lot less money by putting border security in the hands of those Mexican generals...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Otherwise we'd spend a lot less money by putting border security in the hands of those Mexican generals...
"This announcement paid for by the Kinky Friedmen for Governor Committee"

-- Willie Nelson, Chairman

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
That's why we need plenty of immigrants!

I heard a radio program the other day that recognizes that to have a great economy you have to have growth and you have to have people to have growth. With a lot of the World's* mature economies, countries will be 'competing' for immigrants, because their birthrates have shrunk to low levels.

It will be fun to watch the right-wing nuts wake up and realize this and watch them scramble to come up for another word for amnesty. * I LOL whenever I hear Bush jr. talk about his 'guest worker program'* :
Must you use personal attacks in conjunction with your political posts?* I don't recall people referring to you as a "left wing nut."* Just a suggestion.