Join Early Retirement Today

Speaking of Equifax...Ever Hear of Lexis Nexis?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Equifax...Ever Hear of Lexis Nexis?

If not, you might want to do a little research. This company data mines a TON of information. You may (or may not) be surprised what they know about you. Some of the information that is available to others includes:

Full Credit Reports
Insurance Coverages and Claims
Mortgage Info
Deed Info
Most Court Filings (civil and criminal)
Bankruptcy/Judgments
Business Associations
Cross References to Neighbors/Family Members
Airplane Registration
Pilot Certificate Information (and medical if you have one)
Email addresses (and where they got them)
Telephone #'s
Lord Only Knows What else...

At any rate, there is a LOT of information they have on you. You can "freeze" some of it but not all. You can also request your information be mailed (that's the only way they will send you the complete file) and mine was over 200 pages long.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/index.jsp
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
If not, you might want to do a little research. This company data mines a TON of information. You may (or may not) be surprised what they know about you. Some of the information that is available to others includes:

Full Credit Reports
Insurance Coverages and Claims
Mortgage Info
Deed Info
Most Court Filings (civil and criminal)
Bankruptcy/Judgments
Business Associations
Cross References to Neighbors/Family Members
Airplane Registration
Pilot Certificate Information (and medical if you have one)
Email addresses (and where they got them)
Telephone #'s
Lord Only Knows What else...

At any rate, there is a LOT of information they have on you. You can "freeze" some of it but not all. You can also request your information be mailed (that's the only way they will send you the complete file) and mine was over 200 pages long.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/index.jsp
Of course,in order to get that report mailed to you, you will need to supply DL#, SS#, previous addresses, etc. Basically completing any holes in the information package they may not yet have had on you....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Of course,in order to get that report mailed to you, you will need to supply DL#, SS#, previous addresses, etc. Basically completing any holes in the information package they may not yet have had on you....
Well, I would be willing to bet they already know all that info. I was quite surprised that they had every single address I have lived at...even the 6 weeks I spent in basic training.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Well, I would be willing to bet they already know all that info. I was quite surprised that they had every single address I have lived at...even the 6 weeks I spent in basic training.
Sadly, you are probably right
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

When I was in school for the MS degree that came with a "free" Lexus-Nexus account. You're right, what they have available is amazing. I think they give it free or at least heavily discounted to colleges/universities because they want the students to get a good look at the products they have to offer. Simply good marketing.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I got my top secret security clearance years ago (twice, once with the Air Force and once with Bendix Corporation), I had to supply info on all my addresses, friends, schools, etc, etc.

I have to believe you are right on with this as that info gets out and somehow these guys collect it all.

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LexisNexis
Type
Subsidiary
Industry Publishing
Founded 1970
Headquarters New York City[1]
United States
Products Caselaw, Articles, Publications, News, Court Documents, Lawyer Marketing, Law Practice Management Tools, Media Monitoring Tools, Supply Management Tools, Sales Intelligence Solutions, and Market Intelligence Tools
Parent RELX Group
Website Lexisnexis.com
LexisNexis Group is a corporation providing computer-assisted legal research as well as business research and risk management services.[2][3] During the 1970s, LexisNexis pioneered the electronic accessibility of legal and journalistic documents.[4] As of 2006, the company has the world's largest electronic database for legal and public-records related information.[5]
Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I was in school for the MS degree that came with a "free" Lexus-Nexus account. You're right, what they have available is amazing. I think they give it free or at least heavily discounted to colleges/universities because they want the students to get a good look at the products they have to offer. Simply good marketing.
Very possible. They make a lot of information available for law students, as well. The offer it "for free" (included in your technology fee, of course) to get you hooked. They hope that after spending 3 years of using the product(s), you won't mind spending $300+ a month when in practice.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very possible. They make a lot of information available for law students, as well. The offer it "for free" (included in your technology fee, of course) to get you hooked. They hope that after spending 3 years of using the product(s), you won't mind spending $300+ a month when in practice.
I remember the sales pitches in law school. Westlaw was the big competing firm to Lexis Nexis at the time. It was insane - full time sales reps from Westlaw and Lexis Nexis at the school all the time to help you understand how to use their product (drug dealer model - make it easy/cheap initially to get you hooked then hit you up for $$$ once you're addicted). They even had law students as ambassadors - even your peers were pushing the products!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah. They're a big player in data and where I had issues, insurance rates! They track your insurance claims and report to other insurance companies if you apply.

In 2010 I was rear ended on I70, everyone stopped except the woman behind me. She totaled her car, and bent my trucks bumper.

A couple of years later we're shopping for insurance and everyone says, but the accident was your fault! They got the information from LN! I disputed and they corrected the accident.

Messed up part was there was no mistake! My American Family agent lied! He knew his customers couldn't find a better price if they were penalized for an accident they never had. I got hold of the adjuster and he helped me out.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I got my top secret security clearance years ago (twice, once with the Air Force and once with Bendix Corporation), I had to supply info on all my addresses, friends, schools, etc, etc.

I have to believe you are right on with this as that info gets out and somehow these guys collect it all.
I had a top secret too and all that SF-86 data was snatched in the OPM hack. I have forgotten half of what is in there. The bad guys and Lexis-Nexis have more info on me than I have at this point in my life.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

lexis nexis is big in the legal profession .

they also maintain a data base for the insurance industry called CLUE .

it has all the claims you filed regardlwess of fault on both auto and home .

you can get 1 free report a year . you should proof it out like you would a credit report . what you pay for insurance is heavily dependent on what is in your clue report when you shop for insurance .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We had it free in law school back in the dark ages. It was DOS based. Lol. Great time waster looking up where famous people lived, how much their mortgage was, etc....
Lexus-Nexus
Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

Lexus-Nexus

When someone was on the lam, and I was looking for them, we always ran a Lexus-Nexus. Tons of info. Great stuff. I didnt know it was open to the public.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I had a top secret too and all that SF-86 data was snatched in the OPM hack. I have forgotten half of what is in there. The bad guys and Lexis-Nexis have more info on me than I have at this point in my life.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the OPM hack. I don't think I have anything about me that isn't available on the 'dark web'. I wonder how long it will be before we are all connected to various usernames for all the forums out there? I think that's just a matter of time...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #15

Back in the day, when I worked in a law office, Lexis Nexis was the world's legal library. No more slogging to the law library at the courthouse - it was all at our fingertips. Then they expanded to publications, and the Internet & Google put some pressure on their business model. So, they've expanded to this.

We applied for a HELOC last year because I wanted it in place when I retire soon, and as soon as that was approved we froze all our credit, LexisNexis Risk View file included. I'm sitting here staring at the PIN right now.

Edited to add: I had to boot the computer at the law office with a floppy disk. Yes, I am old.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
When someone was on the lam, and I was looking for them, we always ran a Lexus-Nexus. Tons of info. Great stuff. I didnt know it was open to the public.
I don't think the law firms get all of the same databases that LEO or similar get. I remember seeing all these neato databases when I worked at the Attorney General's office and you had to certify to all kinds of stuff that your searches on individuals were legally required and mandated and proper blah blah blah's had been obtained. Put those tools into the hands of a 21 year old unpaid summer intern law clerk and you know he's going to take a peek into Pandora's box at least once or twice. The statute of limitations has passed 15 years later, correct?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #17

Well, I have heard of Lexis/Nexis although I didn't realize they get that much background information on the general public. (I've looked up experts, attorney, law firms, etc.) My offices have switched back and forth between Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw. Currently I'm hooked up with Westlaw.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #18

Most of that stuff is publicly available anyway. The only one that interest me is the source of the email addresses. I like to know who is giving them that info
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #19

"I had to boot the computer at the law office with a floppy disk. Yes, I am old."

I remember shepardizing with, gasp, books!
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I don't think the law firms get all of the same databases that LEO or similar get. I remember seeing all these neato databases when I worked at the Attorney General's office and you had to certify to all kinds of stuff that your searches on individuals were legally required and mandated and proper blah blah blah's had been obtained. Put those tools into the hands of a 21 year old unpaid summer intern law clerk and you know he's going to take a peek into Pandora's box at least once or twice. The statute of limitations has passed 15 years later, correct?
Hahahaha, Yes all is forgiven.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote