Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't buy online. But good news! That experience has me so turned off that a piece of 2" clear duck tape fixes it until Samsung 10s hits PH ATT.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Sooooo....... Why is Xfinity Mobile half the cost of Verizon?
Xfinity mobile is a MVNO. They buy "time" on the big carrier towers. And I think mostly are prepaid services rather than contract carriers. Boost, Cricket, Metro, are all MVNO services. You may get secondary preference on tower traffic. But I have not found that for us on Metro PCS

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...What-is-a-MVNO
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Xfinity mobile is a MVNO. They buy "time" on the big carrier towers. And I think mostly are prepaid services rather than contract carriers. Boost, Cricket, Metro, are all MVNO services. You may get secondary preference on tower traffic. But I have not found that for us on Metro PCS

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...What-is-a-MVNO

AFAIK, most MVNO services only use the native network, and don't get access to roaming. For example, in central Wisconsin, Verizon service is covered by agreements with other compatible carrier networks. Verizon does not have a native network in the area. So, if you have service via a Verizon MVNO, your phone likely won't work in that area.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
AFAIK, most MVNO services only use the native network, and don't get access to roaming. For example, in central Wisconsin, Verizon service is covered by agreements with other compatible carrier networks. Verizon does not have a native network in the area. So, if you have service via a Verizon MVNO, your phone likely won't work in that area.
^ What he said.

A while back I sampled a Verizon MVNO and discovered areas in West TX where I had no service while an acquaintance who was a "real" Verizon subscriber had no issues. I switched to an AT&T MVNO (Cricket) and now have solid coverage.

Nice thing about the MVNO world is they are month-to-month so if you discover a problem like I did you aren't tied in with a contract and can seek greener pastures - with more cell towers.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #25

From my research, the most comprehensive online comparison of phone features and detailed specs is a website called phonearena.com. Here's a comparison of my current phone (OnePlus 3T) with the OnePlus 6 and also my daughter's Moto G6. I was just looking at this earlier today and still had the tab open when I saw this thread (...I'm thinking about the OnePlus 6).

I only buy unlocked Android phones that can be activated on MVNOs like Ting. My M.O. for buying is to look at the Ting website to get an idea of what GSM phones they support at various price ranges. I then compare 3 or 4 in my price range using the phonearena website to narrow it further. Then read reviews on Amazon and other high-volume websites. I haven't bought a phone at a brick-and-mortar store since 2007. I usually buy from Amazon, swappa, or directly from the manufacturer.
how to buy a cell phone
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #26

how to buy a cell phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
From my research, the most comprehensive online comparison of phone features and detailed specs is a website called phonearena.com. Here's a comparison of my current phone (OnePlus 3T) with the OnePlus 6 and also my daughter's Moto G6. I was just looking at this earlier today and still had the tab open when I saw this thread (...I'm thinking about the OnePlus 6).

I only buy unlocked Android phones that can be activated on MVNOs like Ting. My M.O. for buying is to look at the Ting website to get an idea of what GSM phones they support at various price ranges. I then compare 3 or 4 in my price range using the phonearena website to narrow it further. Then read reviews on Amazon and other high-volume websites. I haven't bought a phone at a brick-and-mortar store since 2007. I usually buy from Amazon, swappa, or directly from the manufacturer.
This sounds like how I'll do it next time! DD works for a cell phone company and gave me her phone since she gets new models from her company all the time. But your process is going to be the one I use unless another phone falls in my lap
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #27

Yeah .... Would have been helpful before I walked into the store. I went into the AT&T Authorized Seller on Clayton road and they were so nice that I picked up the Samsung 9, most of its really nice but now I'm wondering if I should of gotten the iphone. Oh well at least I don't have to fix the phone that I found out was it 5 years old. 5 years. Cannot believe that I got 5 years out of a phone
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote