Specs not available in store

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I dropped my old Samsung S6 active at Starbucks yesterday morning. Shattered the screen. Well it is a four-year-old phone so I decided to go get a new one. Walked into AT&T and saw a total of 6 phones that I might be interested in. So I asked for the specs on three of them. The woman checking me in, who's supposed to be the manager, told me I was rude for asking for the specs. Actually the interaction went something like this:
Me: I'm interested in three phones can you give me a printout of what the specs are?
Her: You have to go online
Me: (Blank stare)
Her: that's rude!

Yeah, I walked out. If you can't tell me what the specs are between 3 phones then either you don't know your merchandize or you're basically not capable of working in the store. I can walk into Best Buy, Fry's, Verizon, or the other AT&T ( which I did in ) and find out what the difference is between an A6, S8 active, and Note. I can also determine whether or not the A6 at $400 will really cheap in my experience compared to the Note at $1000 based on what I do (not a gamer). FYI, it doesn't

Last edited:
You might be blending "features" with "specs." There's overlap between those things but differences at the extremes.

What specs were you most interested in comparing?

Did the "manager" actually use the word "rude!" in response to your blank stare?

Last edited:
It didn't help that you were wearing your iPhone golf shirt.

Yes, she did LOL

Interested in comparing RAM, GB storage, camera MP. So I'm using wrong verbage?

I do not think so... specs are everything about the phone... one that I like is the talk time and how long it can hold a charge if not used... I have seen some list 5 days and some list 14... much rather have 14 than 5...

The oddest thing I'd when I walked into the Pleasant Hill store (previous one was Walnut Creek) the teenager knew EXACTLY what I was asking and just wanted to know how I used it (pics, spreadsheets, online access, needs to be water resistant)

Yes, she did LOL

Interested in comparing RAM, GB storage, camera MP. So I'm using wrong verbage?

No, not wrong. But in my experience, "spec" usually implies a level of performance and "feature" implies an attribute. Frequently, comparing "specs" involves comparing performance levels that are more involved or technical than comparing features. But, in most cases they're pretty interchangeable.

For example, because DW and I sometimes find ourselves in remote areas on camping trips, I look for the specifications of the receiver, transmitter and antenna when phone shopping. I want to be the guy still getting "one bar" when others are saying "no service." This was especially true back in the analog cellular days and especially in the IMTS days. (IMTS goes back a long ways and, yes, I'm so old I actually had a mobile phone before cellular!) When shopping these kinds of specs, I knew up front there would be no hope that a retail sales person would have a clue, or that the information would even be available in the store for that matter.

But for the for kind information you asked about, I really would have expected that to be on hand. In the Verizon store I patronize, the feature information you were looking for is all listed on a card next to the sample phone on the display.

If you're interested in several different models from several different manufacturers, you might save yourself some grief by going to the manufacturers' web sites and making yourself a little summary sheet comparing the features you're interested in. I've been shopping for a new tow vehicle for my camper and have been doing that since the bag draggers at the car dealerships I've visited can't answer even the most mundane questions regarding towing specs.

Last edited:
Sometimes sales reps surprise me (e.g. Nordstrom) but more often than not I know the specs of anything I buy before if I go to a brick-n-mortar to see a product. I almost always look online beforehand these days. I know because many will “sell me” and it’s quickly clear their knowledge is pretty thin if not plain wrong. Still doesn’t excuse the OP’s experience, but not unusual nowadays.

If anything I prefer today’s model. At least now it’s easy to find specs, reviews online whereas we used to have to depend on brick-n-mortar sales reps without any way to gauge their expertise. And I buy online more and more without ever going to a store. I won’t engage in showrooming though, dishonest in my view. YMMV

Last edited:
I would have handled the situation more tactfully as the salesperson. That being said, who has printed specs on phones sitting around? All of this information is available online, including hundreds of reviews of the different phones. The days of expecting a salesperson to be the disseminator of this type of information are long gone.

A good sales rep should have a good knowledge of the products they sell as well as how it compares with features/specs of their major competition. I usually have this information before walking into buy anything. I have walked out of a few car dealerships when finding that I knew more about their product than they did.

I just bought a Galaxy S9+ for my wife today for Christmas at Costco. The sales rep could answer every question thoroughly without hesitation. He knew about all the different phones and models as well as the multiple providers they represent. AND he was cheerful too just like the other 2 reps.

That is the kind of experience I expect when spending my hard earned money.

Cheers!

I would have handled the situation more tactfully as the salesperson. That being said, who has printed specs on phones sitting around? All of this information is available online, including hundreds of reviews of the different phones. The days of expecting a salesperson to be the disseminator of this type of information are long gone.

If they want to sell to me then they can provide a spec sheet print out off the website just as easy as I can. An easy and essentially no cost service ($.02) to their customers. If I was the salesperson and the company didn't want to spend the money then I would print my own "stash" of spec sheets to hand to my customers when asked. Just good business practice.

Cheers!

If they want to sell to me then they can provide a spec sheet print out off the website just as easy as I can.

Cheers!

Exactly. That individual is an order taker, Not a salesperson. A salesperson should never tell a customer to go away (and come back later).

If Sales people don't know in depth about the products, then fire the sales person, as they are useless, I can pick up a phone and decide which color I like without them.

I won’t engage in showrooming though, dishonest in my view. YMMV

I didn’t realize it had a name. I agree, if I use the services of a store, I try very hard to buy there. Unfortunately, sometimes they have knowledge but just don’t have what you want in the store.

My last venture to the Vz Wireless store ended when the salesman couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the price of the phone was.

It's a pity that the salesperson/manager/rude person didn't have access to a computer in the AT&T store or perhaps didn't know what specs are or maybe is just lazy. Good thing to take your business to another store. It's also interesting how we share our consumer stories with so many that the poor experience will be well known.

My last venture to the Vz Wireless store ended when the salesman couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the price of the phone was.
Interesting. Our local Verizon store is horrible for service, they could really care less about customers. Someone greets you and puts you on a waiting list no matter what you want nor how busy they are. You wait while the clerks loll around or BS with each other. Then when they grace you with service, they talk down to you. Last time I went in I asked why XFinity Mobile is half the cost of Verizon, with both on the Verizon Network? He gave me a total BS answer (confirmed online) and he couldn’t care less if I switched, so we will when we move in a few months...

Interesting. Our local Verizon store is horrible for service, they could really care less about customers. Someone greets you and puts you on a waiting list no matter what you want nor how busy they are. You wait while the clerks loll around or BS with each other. Then when they grace you with service, they talk down to you. Last time I went in I asked why XFinity Mobile is half the cost of Verizon, with both on the Verizon Network? He gave me a total BS answer (confirmed online) and he couldn’t care less if I switched, so we will when we move in a few months...

Sooooo....... Why is Xfinity Mobile half the cost of Verizon?

I don't buy online. But good news! That experience has me so turned off that a piece of 2" clear duck tape fixes it until Samsung 10s hits PH ATT.

Xfinity mobile is a MVNO. They buy "time" on the big carrier towers. And I think mostly are prepaid services rather than contract carriers. Boost, Cricket, Metro, are all MVNO services. You may get secondary preference on tower traffic. But I have not found that for us on Metro PCS

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/What-is-a-MVNO

AFAIK, most MVNO services only use the native network, and don't get access to roaming. For example, in central Wisconsin, Verizon service is covered by agreements with other compatible carrier networks. Verizon does not have a native network in the area. So, if you have service via a Verizon MVNO, your phone likely won't work in that area.

AFAIK, most MVNO services only use the native network, and don't get access to roaming. For example, in central Wisconsin, Verizon service is covered by agreements with other compatible carrier networks. Verizon does not have a native network in the area. So, if you have service via a Verizon MVNO, your phone likely won't work in that area.

^ What he said.

A while back I sampled a Verizon MVNO and discovered areas in West TX where I had no service while an acquaintance who was a "real" Verizon subscriber had no issues. I switched to an AT&T MVNO (Cricket) and now have solid coverage.

Nice thing about the MVNO world is they are month-to-month so if you discover a problem like I did you aren't tied in with a contract and can seek greener pastures - with more cell towers. :)

From my research, the most comprehensive online comparison of phone features and detailed specs is a website called phonearena.com. Here's a comparison of my current phone (OnePlus 3T) with the OnePlus 6 and also my daughter's Moto G6. I was just looking at this earlier today and still had the tab open when I saw this thread (...I'm thinking about the OnePlus 6).

I only buy unlocked Android phones that can be activated on MVNOs like Ting. My M.O. for buying is to look at the Ting website to get an idea of what GSM phones they support at various price ranges. I then compare 3 or 4 in my price range using the phonearena website to narrow it further. Then read reviews on Amazon and other high-volume websites. I haven't bought a phone at a brick-and-mortar store since 2007. I usually buy from Amazon, swappa, or directly from the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom