Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Doesn't the gummint take care of you when you run out?
Oh sure - - take a look at all those happy, jovial, comfortable, and carefree folks in lines to eat at the homeless shelters or sleeping in cardboard boxes under city overpasses. Now there's a future to aspire to for ones' golden years. One might even find a deck of cards in a garbage can, and even if one or two are missing what more would one want?

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nah. I'll just have to find a strategic place to park my old motorhome, so that I will be within walking distances to the SS office and the food bank.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
I dunno. I've got to set aside enough to cover a Costco membership so I can enjoy the buffet every day. Maybe there's an annuity for that...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Maybe a line of credit would work. Just keep it going while you spend down. If you die with a positive NW that would be used to pay off the LOC. But it's difficult to hit a zero balance precisely!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
That's easier to say than to actually implement. How exactly does one spend it all and also insure that you never are in need of money.

please share your plan.
My childless sister has a plan A & B.
Plan A - annuity
Plan B - bullet
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I heard about it, but didn't read it.

Did they give any pointers on how to accomplish this considering that you can't schedule your passing away quite as well as you can, say, an online payment?

he used annuities.

jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote