Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If government gave you money to stimulate the economy, how would you spend it?
Retired - Spend it 22 13.75%
Retired - Save it 44 27.50%
Retired - Pay down debt 4 2.50%
Not Retired - Spend it 8 5.00%
Not Retired - Save it 69 43.13%
Not Retired - Pay down debt 13 8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Driven by a nagging fear that our country will someday be run by someone responsible, I voted 'not retired - save it' on the premise that I might actually be on the hook to repay this borrowed money.

Amazing that people think a problem created in part by fiscal irresponsibility can be solved by more of the same!
fireby40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Excellent point! Do people realize the govenment is once again 100% borrowing the funds to pay the rebate? I'll vote for you as president, please run.

fireby40 for 2008! Where do I send my contribution? How do I get involved?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Buy a tank of gas and a gallon of milk.
Ding! Ding! We have a winner... 'cause thats about all you're going to get!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireby40 View Post
Driven by a nagging fear that our country will someday be run by someone responsible, I voted 'not retired - save it' on the premise that I might actually be on the hook to repay this borrowed money.

Amazing that people think a problem created in part by fiscal irresponsibility can be solved by more of the same!
That is why I believe the dow is headed for 8000.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to change my vote.

It turns out that my son's doctor's children's college fund requires an adenoidectomy. After insurance pays, and subtracting off my former wife's portion, what's left over comes to...you guessed it...$800. Not that I mind...the kid has problems that the surgery should help.

Anyway, not sure if I'm proud that I'm helping the economy out of a recession or ashamed that I'm contributing to the high cost of health care.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Uh-oh, so does this mean that we might have to spend the $800 to help our country get out of a recession?

Guess I had better start shifting into consumer mode...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Excellent point! Do people realize the govenment is once again 100% borrowing the funds to pay the rebate? I'll vote for you as president, please run.

fireby40 for 2008! Where do I send my contribution? How do I get involved?
What pisses me off is that the federal reserve creates this money backed by nothing out of thin air, then loans it to our government which then pays it back with interest, and has to tax us to get that interest.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #48

OK, my bud says the original amount proposed was around $1800 to be rebated to the people who actually pay taxes, but the whiney (I thought better of the term I originally used here and removed it because I don't want to become known as an antagonist) types pizzed & moaned so now EVERYBODY, even those who pay no taxes will get some, meaning the amount will now be maybe $250. I realize he probably is a little off on the actual numbers, but is that basically the gist of the deal? Who believes people that don't pay taxes are entitled to get MY money back? Flame away!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Helicopter Ben cannot tell who is looking up to the sky with their butterfly nets.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
The White House would like to see the rebate go to everyone who filed an income tax return and paid taxes. This would include taxpayers in higher income brackets. The Democrats, however, would like to see everyone who filed an income tax return receive a rebate, regardless of whether they paid little or no taxes. This would mean there would have to be a ceiling on income to subsidize the low income people. Some Democrats have suggested that couples earning more than $85,000 would not qualify for the tax rebate, while others wish to place the maximum at $110,000.
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
If I'd looked a little harder, I'd have seen the above quoted post before I posted my previous post.....lol! However, I stand by the principle that those who pay the taxes should get the rebate.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote