Spend it or Save it?

If government gave you money to stimulate the economy, how would you spend it?

• Retired - Spend it

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Retired - Save it

Votes: 44 27.5%
  • Retired - Pay down debt

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Not Retired - Spend it

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Not Retired - Save it

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • Not Retired - Pay down debt

Votes: 13 8.1%

• Total voters

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If the government gives you money to stimulate the economy what will you do?

If you would do more than one thing, choose the one you think you would do the most.

If the government gives you money to stimulate the economy what will you do?

My suspicion is that I will not be getting squat, but if I did, it would go into the pile with the rest.

Money is fungible. The money will go into the same funnel into which my salary, overtime, gifts, rebates, interest, dividends, and loose change I find beneath the Sonic drive-in window go.

From there I will proceed to deploy the money towards my highest priority unachieved goal.

I'm so boring.

2Cor521

It appears to be targeted for the lower to middle income folks, so unfortunately I wouldn't get anything. Normally I'd be all for such a thing (lower income getting a rebate but not higher income), but since it's a handout that won't make any difference I'd like to get my $1,600 too.

Otherwise I'd just toss it in with the rest.

Since I'm living on my assets now, I'd spend it and reduce withdrawals by that amount.

inheritance didn't make one iota's difference in my spending. not likely that a government handout will make a difference iother.

Probably some of both - spend half, save half. Until it's actually there I'm not going to invest much time thinking about it.

Since my income vastly exceeds my expenses, I'd just put it into savings.

Oh, I'd definitely save it. I've been squirreling away every loose cent since I was 17--that's how I came to ER 18 days ago!

Whose money are they giving me? I thought it was going to be a rebate, so I'd be getting my own money back.

Well, some in congress are talking about giving it to folks that don't pay taxes so for them, I guess it will be 'our' money.

Will probably spend part of it on bike stuff. Save the rest. Of course, I'll believe it when I see the check;).

We need to print more money like we need a stick in the eye. I'd do what bbbam1 would do: buy a tank of gas and a gallon of milk.

Since I only do about half of what I'm told (according to DW), I'll take the money, but I won't spend it. I'll just hang on to it till things really turn sour.

It will probably arrive at the same time my property taxes are due. So it will just go from one government trough to another -- The True American Way!

I'm of the opinion that I won't qualify either but if I did I would put it in the bank account until later.

If I get it, I'll use it to pay down some lingering debt in preparation for FIRE...

It will either go toward mortgage, investments, or college savings, depending on my mood if and when the $$ arrives.

Interesting question.

Since I'm Canadian I doubt that the US gov't will give me anything. If I was USian or the Canuckistanian gov't handed me free money, I'd p$ss it away on whatever made me feel best. My WR would still be < 4%

Please do that, it'll help me

I thought we had already answered this one.
I would spend it on wine and women and then squander the rest. >:D
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

... acutally being retired, I would just stick to my plan. So I guess that's a vote for saving it.... or maybe a quick cruise hmmm now you have me thinking ... which has not been a common occurance for me lately :D:D

From what I saw on TV today, I won't be getting anything.:p
Anyway those of you that get my share, spend it on something nice.
Maybe that will make the market go up!:D

Back
Top Bottom