Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Spending in early retirement
Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think fishing is one of the most interesting activities you can engage in. *Never boring for me.
Oh yeah, it ranks way up there with running on a treadmill in a gym

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 AM   #82

Hi Wabmester! You would be an example of those
who "just don't get it" about fishing. That's okay though
as I certainly wouldn't want everyone to take it up.
Speaking of boring, any "work out" activity in a gym
or health club would seem like torture to me.
It's good we all don't enjoy the same stuff, variety
being the spice and all that.

John Galt
Old 06-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regarding working out, I can recall years ago watching the Dick Cavett show. He interviewed a brilliant, but wimpy, guest by the name of Mortimer Adler. Mortimer said that whenever he got the urge to exercise, he laid down and rested until the feeling passed. That approach appeals to me greatly, but I'm continually conflicted about it, so I do take a walk and exercise in front of the TV once in awhile.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #84

I actually enjoy going to the Health Club Facility we have here.

All of the exercise Equipment is below a wall lined with New Big Screen TVs. 54 inchers - 11 of them! - Each one tuned to a different channel broadcast over your headset on a separate channel. ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. etc.

Another wall is lined with windows overlooking the Outdoor pool to watch the gals in Bikinis that enjoy being watched.

After the daily workout. A hot shower/ steambath. If this is boredom - I'm guess I'm happy being bored
Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Regarding working out, I can recall years ago watching the Dick Cavett show. He interviewed a brilliant, but wimpy, guest by the name of Mortimer Adler. Mortimer said that whenever he got the urge to exercise, he laid down and rested until the feeling passed. That approach appeals to me greatly, but I'm continually conflicted about it, so I do take a walk and exercise in front of the TV once in awhile.
I had a boss once who when people came in bragging/complaining of their workout/sports injuries used to love saying "I've never hurt myself while eating ice cream in front of the tv...".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #86

Quote:

I had a boss once who when people came in bragging/complaining of their workout/sports injuries used to love saying "I've never hurt myself while eating ice cream in front of the tv...".
Mama Cass used to say the same thing about Ham Sandwiches
Old 06-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually enjoy going to the Health Club Facility we have here.

Another wall is lined with windows overlooking the Outdoor pool to watch the gals in Bikinis that enjoy being watched.
I for one can easily understand how you might enjoy that. And think of the health benefits. Testosterone builds muscle(ask Arnie!) and watching semi-nude chicks definitely builds testosterone. By the end of summer you might still be 5'8", but you'll be 200 pounds of steel. You wont need to catch those salmon and steelies, just take 'em away from the bears.

Mikey
Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #88

The comment about watching scantily clad females
reminded me of when I was marina shopping in
Texas. As we stood on the veranda and surveyed
what could only be described as a mind boggling
investment (biggest damn marina I ever saw),
my guide says to me "Yep and in the warmer months
you can stand here and watch acres of silicone."
Not sure why but that image stuck.

John Galt
Old 06-15-2004, 09:55 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...in my working days I used to go down to the factory and look at acres of silicon. Never made me hot.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #90

Quote:
Hmm...in my working days I used to go down to the factory and look at acres of silicon. *Never made me hot.

That may be, but I've worked with guys who seemed to get hotter over acres of silicon in the fab than they did over the acres of silicone at the beach.

I like nerds, but some of them were pretty hard to understand.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

OHHHH SILICON(E)!

Yep, that stuff makes a great sealant. Put some around the windows last year. Should last at least 30 years.
Cut-throat, since this thread is already way OT...
Old 06-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cut-throat, since this thread is already way OT...

I have to ask-- did you recently add spots to your fish (trout?) icon, or is that just my new monitor?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Cut-throat, since this thread is already way O
Old 06-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #93

Quote:
I have to ask-- did you recently add spots to your fish (trout?) icon, or is that just my new monitor?
Nords,

It's your vision -- a sign of old age. ;D
Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #94

Quote:
I have not changed the avatar, so it must be your new Monitor. Its actually quite differently shaped, but gets squashed to fit in the Avatar area.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not getting older, I just lost my warranty.

Ouch-- right between the demographic eyeballs.

I read a book a few years back that listed the world's most important inventions as voted by scientists & historians. Bifocals/reading glasses were waaaaay up there on the rankings-- and I laughed heartily. I thought I was done with that.

I'd worn glasses from childhood to nearly 30 before I "lost" the nearsightedness. It was a pleasant surprise to use the periscope without being kidded about cranking the focus adjustment all the way into the stops, and to not worry about losing glasses in the bilge. I never dreamed how much further my eyeballs could change-- heck, that was for senior officers & old people!

Six months ago I stopped laughing and my spouse has taken over that job. I'm at +1.75 now, with reading glasses on every horizontal surface of the house (including my toolbox), and I don't think it's finished yet. I'm sure that one day I'll channel my father, walking around the house with my glasses propped up on my head, grousing "Where the %$#^ are my &^#*! glasses?!?

Which is why we have the new monitor. Sony 19" LCD flat panel, over twice the viewing area of the old 15" CRT, tremendously brighter contrast ratio, no bulky tube so that it fits easily (a comfortable focal length away) at the back of the desk, and quite readable at 1024x768 with 800x600 in reserve. And that's without the reading glasses!

So Cut-Throat's fish is a lot bigger than it used to be, and it's grown spots. I'd hate to learn that I should stop drinking too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Lets not do anything rash now...

Re: I'm not getting older, I just lost my warranty
Old 06-15-2004, 10:54 AM   #97

Re: I'm not getting older, I just lost my warranty

Quote:
. . .*I'd hate to learn that I should stop drinking too...
Drink enough of the right stuff and the fish changes colors. ;D
Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #98

Quote:

I am also curious about how other Defined Benefit Plan/457 types "planned" those last years to get the most bang for the buck. *I can't relate well to the 4% SWR because it doesn't apply nearly as directly to our retirement benefits. *We are more about getting to a specific monthly allotment (read paycheck without the working part) that is determined by years of service combined with age at exit from the workplace. *

8)
Hi, Jonny.

I'm a "Defined Benefit Plan/457 type" also, working in Nevada. Here we are allowed to buy up to 5 years of service credit in our DBP. I did it 15 years, two promotions, and several salary increases ago. When I signed the contract the amount I had to pay for the time was locked-in based on my salary at that time. When I retire, my DBP amount will be much larger due to my higher salary now.

We also have a 457 "Deferred Compensation" plan that I'm putting the max amount allowed ($13,000 this year) into. I also have been doing a Roth IRA since the standard IRA is no longer available to me.

My employer also set up a Vantage Care program with ICMA (as far as I know we are the first and only ones to have this) in which we can have up to 10% of our salary contributed before taxes for the purpose of paying our health insurance premiums after we retire. I'm contributing the max allowed to this also. It's just like the 457 but has a different account #.

Our DBP here is pretty good, as far as I can tell - the Legislature changed our yearly benefit in 2001 to 2.67% (used to be 2.5%) of the average of our highest 3 years salary for each year of service.

So the strategy for me to get the max out of it is to get the number of years of service as high as possible (means I have to keep working, though) and get my highest 3 years of salary as high as possible.

My plan is to be able to live on the DBP and keep the 457 and IRAs intact and growing. If I have to, I can start withdrawing the 457 and IRA money (will have to eventually per IRS regs, anyway).

Have a great day!

Patrick
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #99

Quote:

Unfortunately, they hit me with a penalty for breaking my contract so I had to ante up another 22k (they somehow only had to come up with 11k), but it was worth it. *As I was non safety, this meant that my pension went from an anticipated 810 at 55 to 2092 at 52. And I got out. *OMIG>D -- it just hit me! They did not credit me any previous pymts, they only credited me the amt that I wrote on the final check :P They were supposed to credit me for the amts that I had been paying all along. But I guess it is too late to do anything now. *:P
Gayl,

I think they would have to rectify their error in not crediting you the correct amount. If they don't credit you, they should refund the money. At the very least it would be worth a phone call or letter to find out.

Patrick
Old 06-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #100

Quote:

Unfortunately, they hit me with a penalty for breaking my contract so I had to ante up another 22k (they somehow only had to come up with 11k), but it was worth it. *As I was non safety, this meant that my pension went from an anticipated 810 at 55 to 2092 at 52. And I got out. *OMIG>D -- it just hit me! They did not credit me any previous pymts, they only credited me the amt that I wrote on the final check :P They were supposed to credit me for the amts that I had been paying all along. But I guess it is too late to do anything now. *:P
Gayl,

I think they would have to rectify their error in not crediting you the correct amount. If they don't credit you, they should refund the money. At the very least it would be worth a phone call or letter to find out.

Patrick