Join Early Retirement Today

Spending Less because of the Economy
Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spending Less because of the Economy

Every night on the news they'll have a story about how people are spending less this Christmas. They'll always interview some 20-something mall shopper, who says something like this:

"Yes, I'm cutting back this year, because I've heard that the economy isn't doing that well."

Now, unless that person expects to lose his/her job, that makes no sense, right?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe the 20-something mall shopper is only saying what he thinks the interviewer wants to hear.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"Yes, I'm cutting back this year, because I've heard that the economy isn't doing that well."
Translation: Mom and Dad are pissed at me because I dropped out of college to live with my boyfriend, so they quit giving me money.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I would imagine that 50% of people are spending more, and 50% are spending less, all else being equal.

The snowstorm is probably keeping some people inside in the northeast, so that alone would probably mean most people are spending less.

I agree - - these live news stories from a local mall are pretty pointless!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
these live news stories from a local mall are pretty pointless!
With eleven zillion channels competing for viewers, they gotta scratch up something to put on the air.......
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
With eleven zillion channels competing for viewers, they gotta scratch up something to put on the air.......
This brings up something I've wondered about lately -- what do news people themselves think about all the blather on TV these days? Do they just LOVE those interviews at the mall, or are they secretly hating life?

I once considered journalism and talked to some professors, students, and journalists who really wanted to change the world, be the next Woodward and Bernstein, etc.

Has anyone out there every been a journalist and what do folks on the inside think of the current state of the industry?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Don't they run that story every year?
Have they ever ran a story - the economy is doing great; are you spending more?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now, unless that person expects to lose his/her job, that makes no sense, right?
These are the same people who, in a few decades, will be returning to work because they ran out of money retirement leaves them bored and unfulfilled.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
This brings up something I've wondered about lately -- what do news people themselves think about all the blather on TV these days? Do they just LOVE those interviews at the mall, or are they secretly hating life?

I once considered journalism and talked to some professors, students, and journalists who really wanted to change the world, be the next Woodward and Bernstein, etc.

Has anyone out there every been a journalist and what do folks on the inside think of the current state of the industry?
I have never been a journalist, nor am I on the inside.

I don't think there's such a thing as a T.V. journalist in my area. They cover the stories that people call in and tell them about, as long as covering them doesn't offend the wrong people. They don't seem to go out looking for stories independantly, at all.

I find the decline of genuine journalism in our lifetimes to be shocking.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:

Maybe it's just a little guilt feeling coming out.

People living paycheck-to-paycheck may be concerned about bumps in the road ahead. For many, one lost or delayed paycheck would be the end of life on earth as they know it and everything would come down around their ears in a few days.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gee I was exchanging some jeans at Sears the other day (bad day in China, they forgot to put one of the belt loops on them), and some young lady was trying to get to me at the mall; I had a devil of a time getting away from her. Was that what she was trying to do? I am older than dirt and had other thoughts!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Maybe it's just a little guilt feeling coming out.

People living paycheck-to-paycheck may be concerned about bumps in the road ahead. For many, one lost or delayed paycheck would be the end of life on earth as they know it and everything would come down around their ears in a few days.
What's that old saying? "50% of all Americans are 3 paychecks away from homelessness?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I have never been a journalist, nor am I on the inside.

I don't think there's such a thing as a T.V. journalist in my area. They cover the stories that people call in and tell them about, as long as covering them doesn't offend the wrong people. They don't seem to go out looking for stories independantly, at all.

I find the decline of genuine journalism in our lifetimes to be shocking.
If you turn on the news you see only what THEY want you to see or know about, the ticker type thing...that EVERY news station gets...its easy for the local stations to just read whats written for them to say...its all about the money, they don't have to pay for a reporter to go out and investigate a story of REAL interest! Foreign countries know more about what's really going on in the world today...even more about what WE'RE doing!
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

reflects the credit culture and hesitation to buy today what they might not have the dollars to pay tomorrow.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What's that old saying? "50% of all Americans are 3 paychecks away from homelessness?
And probably only 9 meals away from violence.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
reflects the credit culture and hesitation to buy today what they might not have the dollars to pay tomorrow.
Might be an urban myth.
The truth about credit card debt - MSN Money
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Are the j*bs (or income streams for those retired) for readers of this board so secure then?

Prudence yet again raises her ugly head and says, while it's unhealthy to dwell on the idea, at least remain vaguely open to the fact that you too may fall into dire economic circumstance.

For some, the prospect is quite distant, for others, imminent.

Merry (Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Saturnalia, Jule and whatever) to all and to all a good night.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Prudence yet again raises her ugly head and says, while it's unhealthy to dwell on the idea, at least remain vaguely open to the fact that you too may fall into dire economic circumstance.
Or get run over by a truck tomorrow...

As the guy told the cop who asked why he took a swing at a psychic after she laughed at him, "I'm just trying to strike a happy medium."
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Or get run over by a truck tomorrow...
Got the truck thing covered too Wahoo.
Every once in a while I practice shoveling coal.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Are the j*bs (or income streams for those retired) for readers of this board so secure then?

My job really is that secure - - vested federal employee for years, top evaluations, recent promotion, tons of work, and 23 months short of retirement. I try not to take things for granted, and I know anything can happen, but it would take a real pessimist to worry about losing my job, given these circumstances.

Even so, I still worry (just not about being canned). I worry about hurricanes and catastrophic flooding, I worry about my health, I worry about whether or not I'll ever be able to sell my house so that I can move for ER, I worry about the possibility (that we all face) of undeserved lawsuits costing me millions and years, and a myriad of similar remotely possible things. But I don't worry about losing my job before then.

As for falling into dire economic circumstance, I lived on my own in the 1960's. I know how to survive dire economic circumstances. It's not FUN, but I know how to survive. I'm over-engineering my strategies to avoid ever falling into these circumstances again in my old age.