Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #21
I went to a local community college for 2.5 years for a AA degree, my parents paid tuition/books, I paid everything else, including the car to get there and to work, which supported the car and whatever was left for spending, which wasn't much. During the school year I worked two or three evenings a week and full time during the summers. Tuition was cheap at ~$250/full semester but that was in 1969-70. It took another 20 years to finally get the BS degree.

DW did the same thing except she paid her own tuition and books, her parents couldn't even afford that except for $10 or $20 now and then. DW finally finished her BA last May!

Community colleges are great for people who simply can't come up with the money for a 4-year school and are "the ticket out" for a lot of people. With the AA degree they can then make enough to bootstrap themselves if they have the motivation to do it. And they're not looking at $50k+ in loans to pay back.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
we pay tuition, books and rent. DS and DD pay for food and play money. DD makes about $400/mo, and it seems sufficient. DS has a car, thus has gas and insurance to pay as well. He earns about $800/mo, and this seems to cover all the above with plenty of wiggle room. We believe that working during school is part of the education process. The above said, we did give both an allowance during the first semester. DS was off campus, so his was about $300 for food and play money, DD was on campus which included cafeteria for food, so we gave her $100/month. This is all within the past two years, so probably still relevant.

Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote