Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Bingo! I still regret not buying a set of three wall socket replacements that included USB charging ports for less that $20.
Wall outlet with USB charging port at Home Depot: $20 to $30 each!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
People wander around with no situational awareness at all and I think most were legally blind.
Lack of situational awareness - that is a good term for it and happens at our Costco, too. People just kind of pushing big carts around oblivious to other shoppers. I don't see that happen that much at other stores like it does at Costco. Our Costco, for the most part, has nice cars in the parking lot and the people look middle class, but many do not act like they are in a crowded store with other shoppers they need to share the aisles with.

I like the savings enough to put up with it. It is still worth it to me to shop there.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've done that a time or two (but why a separate receipt?)
You don't actually even need the receipt. They can pull up the purchase based on your card. I usually have it, but they often don't even ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I was dimly aware that there's a definite science to store design but after an odyssey through IKEA (that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back) I did some research on the Web and made a Toastmasters speech out of it. Sorry, I don't have links to any of my sources, but in general here are some of the tricks:

1. Put all the essentials (bread, milk, diapers) at the back of the store so people are forced to pass by all the impulse items.
2. Once people have a healthy chunk of merchandise in their carts, they're actually more likely to make impulse purchases- it's a smaller % of what they're already buying.
3. You're generally being directed on a specific path even though you don't realize it. In the US, about 99% of grocery stores lead you counter-clockwise, starting at the fresh flower/produce section where the bright colors and fresh items make you happy. Many big box stores have walls running nearly the length of the store so you can't cut across from one aisle to the other easily. Ikea has this down to a science; you can't go more than about 6 feet before you have to turn, and there are always attractive displays of impulse items at the turning points. Between the showroom and the area where you pick up your choices, you have to pass through another giant "marketplace" area and it's all impulse stuff- rugs, dishes, artwork.
4. In general- the longer you stay in a store the more you spend, which is why they lead you on a wandering path and the staples aren't right near the checkout.

I agree that LBYM types are less likely to fall for these tricks; I find the whole thing fascinating.
I've read about the traffic routing theories, just not the cart. When DW and I are watching our diets (not as consistently as we should) we do the trick of circling the grocery store staying on the perimeter of the store. You can usually get everything you need without actually going down the aisles. The aisles are where all the processed food is, and you if all you are after is produce, meat, dairy, and bread you don't even need to go down them.

Another interesting study is the salad bar. There's a whole (pseudo)science about how to finesse the customers into not taking the more expensive ingredients. It's scary how easily manipulated people often are.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
https://www.vitamix.com/shop/Certifi...-Products.aspx

You can buy refurbished blender directly from Vitamix. It comes with 5 Year warranty . You can not tell difference between new and refurbished.

Basic 2 Speed model for 259 USD will do 99% of what your 750 model will do. Nearly everything on Vitamix is done at HIGH speed. Low speed and variable is mostly there just to get you to High speed.....
That's what I did and am very happy. I did get the next higher unit for $299 if I recall correctly. I use it every day and so does my wife and I agree, no different from new. I know this because I bought a high end new one and didn't like it. The shorter wider blender doesn't handle the smaller smoothies we make very well. So I got the refurbished unit, saved about $300 bucks and the taller unit works better.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

I suppose... as long as you don't have to buy in bulk.

Report: Costco Has Plans To Sell A “Kirkland Signature” Chevy Truck

Quote:
The truck will probably be based on LTZ luxury or Z-71 Off-Road packaged vehicles in a configuration “best compared to (top of the range) High Country,” the report says, with 400 getting built for warehouse display. Customers will then special-order their own vehicles through dealerships.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Another interesting study is the salad bar. There's a whole (pseudo)science about how to finesse the customers into not taking the more expensive ingredients.
Yeah- the first thing you see after the stack of plastic trays/boxes is the giant bin of cheap lettuce. I take a little of the lettuce then head straight for the fresh mushrooms.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
... then head straight for the fresh mushrooms.
I am told that mushrooms should never be eaten raw. See for instance:

Ask Dr. Weil: Is It Safe To Eat Raw Mushrooms? | Prevention
Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Good grief! I must be dead.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Good grief! I must be dead.
... or a zombie who's walking among us.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #150
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our Costco, for the most part, has nice cars in the parking lot and the people look middle class, but many do not act like they are in a crowded store with other shoppers they need to share the aisles with.
I'll suggest there's a correlation with high income or apparent high income & the sense of entitlement, including pushing carts wherever without regard to others.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose... as long as you don't have to buy in bulk.

Report: Costco Has Plans To Sell A “Kirkland Signature” Chevy Truck
One can buy a car now, through Costco, though it is not a particularly good deal compared with firm bargaining. Not sure what the appeal of a Kirkland truck would be unless it came with some added value like free Costco tires for life or something.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I'll suggest there's a correlation with high income or apparent high income & the sense of entitlement, including pushing carts wherever without regard to others.
I doubt it.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Wish I knew this back in my college days
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah.
<Big Smile>
Old 03-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Wish I knew this back in my college days
Psilocybin mushrooms would be an exception so you're probably okay.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

That Z71 could come in handy to haul all of the bulk purchases back home. My little civic can't hold more than about 2 cart's worth of stuff from regular stores (assuming the 3 kids are strapped in the back seat).

Can I return it 3 years later if I decide it's not working out for me? Might save me some $ versus a lease, too. Or can I return it after just a long weekend? Might be nice to have a free truck to haul stuff when needed without paying to maintain it or having to store it at my house.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

They grow in cow pies. Hey what's those dark spots on my shrooms?

Have read they're good for migraines. Don't know what type of study's were done.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #159
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Ughh. I too went today. I planned to go from 9:30 to 10:30 (on a Tuesday) to avoid the early morning business owner crowd, the lunch time AARP Buffet crowd, and the mid-afternoon got 7 kids in tow Mom crowd...but it was all for naught. I think 1/2 the population of North Georgia was there and it's like an episode of 'The Walking Dead'. People wander around with no situational awareness at all and I think most were legally blind. I also dislike that the carts are so big that you really should have a commercial endorsement to drive them around the store. Also, I wish there was a limit on the self-checkout...if you have 2 carts with 124 items, it's best you get in a regular line

Nonetheless, I spent about $100 and that's about the normal in a month with just me and DW. Thankfully, I only go once every month or so...which is good because for every visit, I am pretty sure I lose 2 weeks off my life expectancy.
I've been to this store with the wife multiple times as well (Cumberland Mall in NW Atlanta) and it's always a zoo, doesn't matter what time you go during the week.

It is a big turnoff to me as well because of the hassle factor, and I think we'll let our membership lapse when it expires at the end of this year. There are some good deals to be had but with careful shopping they can almost always be beaten with a much better experience at local stores and online.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I remember visiting a Costco in Atlanta once - Brookhaven. I have NEVER seen a Costco parking lot so full, and it seemed to be twice the size of the normal Costco parking lot!!!

If the Atlanta area Costcos are always so crowded, I probably would avoid them too. Looking at the map in the past it seemed like there are 5+ Costcos in Atlanta and surrounding areas such as Marietta. It's incredible that they are all still so crowded!