Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to get 1/4 or 1/2 beef once in a while. Now we tend to watch for sales on the cuts of meat we use the most. Costco always has good prices on whole pork tenderloins, sometimes under $2/pound. It only takes 20 minutes or so to cut them into steaks or roasts and wrap them. The result is pure boneless meat for which some of the chain grocery stores charge twice that amount per pound. There are similar bargains to be found with beef. Wholesale cash and carry type stores will sell sections of beef like sirloin or ribeye at a good price. If you are handy with a butcher knife, there can be some substantial savings on a lot of good eatin' Yumm!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel dejected . People are always asking me to split a bottle of wine or the check but no one has ever asked me to split a cow or a pig . What am I doing wrong ?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I feel dejected . People are always asking me to split a bottle of wine or the check but no one has ever asked me to split a cow or a pig . What am I doing wrong ?
You don't look enough like a cow or a pig so no one ever thinks about it when they see you.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #24

Buying meat on sale is cheaper. My brother got sides of beef when he was raising his kids because they only ever got burger and cheap cuts. When they got a side of beef they got roast and things so they could have company and serve roast without having to decide to pay the cost that week. They did it it force themselves to eat better cuts of meat.
My grandparents used to raise beef about 5 a year, they would raise them for people and one for themselves. They were really good, my dad got one named T-bones one year he was a good steer
Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #25

Growing up on a dairy farm, periodically we'd have one of our cows slaughtered and keep the meat. So I grew up on a lot of beef (and raw unpasteurized milk). Lots of ground beef recipes.

Never really knew the details of it, like the breakdown of steaks/ground beef/weird parts. We didn't do much with the weird parts -- sis and I didn't even like liver. I think my mom tried making tongue soup at one point, but the smell drove her to throw it out.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Growing up on a dairy farm, periodically we'd have one of our cows slaughtered and keep the meat. So I grew up on a lot of beef (and raw unpasteurized milk). Lots of ground beef recipes.

Never really knew the details of it, like the breakdown of steaks/ground beef/weird parts. We didn't do much with the weird parts -- sis and I didn't even like liver. I think my mom tried making tongue soup at one point, but the smell drove her to throw it out.
+1, though my folks were trying to create a Hereford beef ranch - the good looking animals went to market, we ate 'ol grandma cow. Still remember that grey tongue sticking up out of the pot - and Mom trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak liver into recipes.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
The one that I really thought was so much better was at a very high end place that aged its own beef, right there on the premises. So, it probably wasn't the cooking that made it so good, but the aging. R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Good point on the aging. I understand that can make quite a difference.
-ERD50
Yes..yes..yes. It's all about the aging. That's what I look for at the grocery store when I go "rotten" meat shopping. Once the steak or roast (beef only) starts to turn just a little brown, it will be marked down half price. Most people won't touch it...but I do. When I bring it home, I'll let it sit in the fridge for about 5 more days. At that point, after cooking, you can cut it with a fork.

It's funny that people won't buy it at the grocery store, but will pay for "aged" beef at a premium in a restaurant. I guess it's because they don't see it before it's cooked.

p.s....bbbamI's dad was a butcher for 30 years.....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
+1, though my folks were trying to create a Hereford beef ranch - the good looking animals went to market, we ate 'ol grandma cow. Still remember that grey tongue sticking up out of the pot - and Mom trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak liver into recipes.
Grandparents had a small farm with 15 to 20 cows. Old milk cows make tasty but chewy meat. I buy a heart or tongue from the locals once in a while.

My parents liked liver and onions, I never acquired the taste for it. If you're getting your meat custom cut, you can get the liver ground up with some of the beef; makes a good meatloaf.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
As a wee lad, I spent two summers on a dairy farm owned by friends of the family. Your post brings back memories.....

Going out to the milking barn and ladling raw milk out of the cooler into a pitcher to drink with supper..... Not something I'd want to try today but thought nothing of it then.

Holstein beef from some old cow that was past her prime milking days doesn't sound very appealing now either. But in stews, meatloaf, burgers, etc., it worked out OK as I recall. Much of the ground meat had venison mixed with it.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We buy beef a half at a time. We do this so we know where the beef comes from and what it ate. I'm not a fan of the way most critters are raised in the big commercial operations. In fact, now that I am retired, we plan to raise some fryers and turkeys to close that side of the meat loop, increase the garden size and return to canning. All this is an attempt at eating healthier food that was raised/grown without the chemicals.

Of course that means I have to go fishing more too....oh the pain of it all!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
As a wee lad, I spent two summers on a dairy farm owned by friends of the family. Your post brings back memories.....

Going out to the milking barn and ladling raw milk out of the cooler into a pitcher to drink with supper......
I grew up on a farm with all those lovely chores. Nothing like cleaning the horse barn and milking the stupid cows before school. I don't miss that at all!

Now the walks out in the feilds and woods, those I miss. Nothing like a day spent wandering the creek or playing in the hills!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Khan, what is a custom cut turkey? How is it different than just Joe Turkey on Thanksgiving?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yes..yes..yes. It's all about the aging. That's what I look for at the grocery store when I go "rotten" meat shopping. Once the steak or roast (beef only) starts to turn just a little brown, it will be marked down half price. Most people won't touch it...but I do. When I bring it home, I'll let it sit in the fridge for about 5 more days. At that point, after cooking, you can cut it with a fork.

When you bring the meat home do you marinate it or just let it sit ?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Khan, what is a custom cut turkey? How is it different than just Joe Turkey on Thanksgiving?
A 16# turkey cut into quarters. Leaving 4 (4 #) pieces freezer ready. Each able to be roasted on a reasonable basis.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
When you bring the meat home do you marinate it or just let it sit ?
I just let it sit. I know it may be sacrilege to many, but I'm not into marinating beef.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I just let it sit. I know it may be sacrilege to many, but I'm not into marinating beef.
I have sometimes marinated beef in wine and onions, is not really necessary.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, wine and onions... Maybe I'll drink the wine, then throw a few onions on the beef.