Splitting a Cow and Save Money??

Growing up on a dairy farm, periodically we'd have one of our cows slaughtered and keep the meat. So I grew up on a lot of beef (and raw unpasteurized milk). Lots of ground beef recipes.

Never really knew the details of it, like the breakdown of steaks/ground beef/weird parts. We didn't do much with the weird parts -- sis and I didn't even like liver. I think my mom tried making tongue soup at one point, but the smell drove her to throw it out.

+1, though my folks were trying to create a Hereford beef ranch - the good looking animals went to market, we ate 'ol grandma cow. Still remember that grey tongue sticking up out of the pot - and Mom trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak liver into recipes.

The one that I really thought was so much better was at a very high end place that aged its own beef, right there on the premises. So, it probably wasn't the cooking that made it so good, but the aging. R

Good point on the aging. I understand that can make quite a difference.
-ERD50
Yes..yes..yes. It's all about the aging. That's what I look for at the grocery store when I go "rotten" meat shopping. Once the steak or roast (beef only) starts to turn just a little brown, it will be marked down half price. Most people won't touch it...but I do. When I bring it home, I'll let it sit in the fridge for about 5 more days. At that point, after cooking, you can cut it with a fork.

It's funny that people won't buy it at the grocery store, but will pay for "aged" beef at a premium in a restaurant. I guess it's because they don't see it before it's cooked.

p.s....bbbamI's dad was a butcher for 30 years.....;)

+1, though my folks were trying to create a Hereford beef ranch - the good looking animals went to market, we ate 'ol grandma cow. Still remember that grey tongue sticking up out of the pot - and Mom trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak liver into recipes.

Grandparents had a small farm with 15 to 20 cows. Old milk cows make tasty but chewy meat. I buy a heart or tongue from the locals once in a while.

My parents liked liver and onions, I never acquired the taste for it. If you're getting your meat custom cut, you can get the liver ground up with some of the beef; makes a good meatloaf.

Growing up on a dairy farm, periodically we'd have one of our cows slaughtered and keep the meat. So I grew up on a lot of beef (and raw unpasteurized milk). Lots of ground beef recipes.

As a wee lad, I spent two summers on a dairy farm owned by friends of the family. Your post brings back memories.....

Going out to the milking barn and ladling raw milk out of the cooler into a pitcher to drink with supper..... Not something I'd want to try today but thought nothing of it then.

Holstein beef from some old cow that was past her prime milking days doesn't sound very appealing now either. But in stews, meatloaf, burgers, etc., it worked out OK as I recall. Much of the ground meat had venison mixed with it.

We buy beef a half at a time. We do this so we know where the beef comes from and what it ate. I'm not a fan of the way most critters are raised in the big commercial operations. In fact, now that I am retired, we plan to raise some fryers and turkeys to close that side of the meat loop, increase the garden size and return to canning. All this is an attempt at eating healthier food that was raised/grown without the chemicals.

Of course that means I have to go fishing more too....oh the pain of it all!

:LOL:

As a wee lad, I spent two summers on a dairy farm owned by friends of the family. Your post brings back memories.....

Going out to the milking barn and ladling raw milk out of the cooler into a pitcher to drink with supper......

I grew up on a farm with all those lovely chores. Nothing like cleaning the horse barn and milking the stupid cows before school. I don't miss that at all! :nonono:

Now the walks out in the feilds and woods, those I miss. Nothing like a day spent wandering the creek or playing in the hills! :):)

Khan, what is a custom cut turkey? How is it different than just Joe Turkey on Thanksgiving?

Yes..yes..yes. It's all about the aging. That's what I look for at the grocery store when I go "rotten" meat shopping. Once the steak or roast (beef only) starts to turn just a little brown, it will be marked down half price. Most people won't touch it...but I do. When I bring it home, I'll let it sit in the fridge for about 5 more days. At that point, after cooking, you can cut it with a fork.

...;)

When you bring the meat home do you marinate it or just let it sit ?

Khan, what is a custom cut turkey? How is it different than just Joe Turkey on Thanksgiving?

A 16# turkey cut into quarters. Leaving 4 (4 #) pieces freezer ready. Each able to be roasted on a reasonable basis.

I just let it sit. I know it may be sacrilege to many, but I'm not into marinating beef.

I have sometimes marinated beef in wine and onions, is not really necessary.

Hmm, wine and onions... Maybe I'll drink the wine, then throw a few onions on the beef. :)

Back
Top Bottom