Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Spontaneous ER
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i retired not spontaneously but with minimum thought (yikes, huh?). i used to think i'd work until i was 55. then i thought i'd work until mom died. but then my dog died. and that was just a year after my best friend died (he was 52). i got real depressed and kept asking myself, why am i waiting for the next being i love to die before i quit?

i ran numbers sans benefit of this board's knowledge or firecalc. i had no idea about the 4% thing and i was planning on 5-6%, not from any knowledge, just an intuitive sense. i worked out the numbers and decided i'd retire on my 49th birthday in january, a present to myself.

but that june there was too much nonsense at work. the place had become rife in backstabbing & finger pointing for years already. i had a manager who insisted on a phone conference for an hour once a month and i just couldn't listen to that miserable sob anymore. i had too much misery in my life and i couldn't breathe.

i couldn't call back my dog. i couldn't resurrect my friend. i couldn't stop my mom from dieing. so i did what i could do to get at least some of the misery out of my life. so on july 4th, 2005 i sent the email: i quit. the country was so happy for me they now set off annual fireworks on that very day.

immediately my life got better. i have readjusted my future plans to include 4% - 4.5% withdrawal rate. if real estate busts in florida, screw it; i'll move to thailand for the next 10 years and let the portfolio grow.

had i known all the stuff i'm learning now, i would have done much more planning and been that much more spontaneous even sooner.

"there exists an obvious fact that seems utterly moral; namely, that a man is always a prey to his truths. once he has admitted them, he cannot free himself from them."~~albert camus

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Maybe. My supervisor lit into me two weeks ago and I terminated my contract the next day. If I can't find another job, by default I will be retired.

No regrets. I refuse to work for offensive people anymore.

I would do it again tomorrow.

She is anxious. So am I.
You are tough.

BTW, I love your e e cummings quote: "...listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go "

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha said,
Quote:
You are tough.
Maybe. Maybe just dumb as a brick.

I did get a nice offer this morning to work in Houston, though, so I do have a safety net. Still looking in Calgary as I like it here.

That ee cummings quote is one of my favorites, too. That and Bob Dylan's "Tambourine Man" and The Byrds' "Wasn't Born to Follow" and a whole lot of Jimmy Buffett these days. I don't think I was meant to work for anybody, but dang it is hard to live on nothin'.

Got to go. "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"!

Cheers,

Gypsy
Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I did this spring after some jerks falsified information on evaluations and supervisor too lazy to follow up to verify.* When truth came out, he was too embarassed to admit it.* I decided I had enough.* Sure, would not minded working a few more years under good conditions;* did not want to work one more minute under those conditions.* Not looking back.*
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
* I know a team of software developers at my company (6 of them) who also share in the their weekly lottery gamble.* The fear of being the one left should the others hit the jackpot compells them to cough up to that most risky retirement plan.
* Funny, that's the same reason I throw a $ into the pot when my office buys tickets for the big Powerball jackpots.*
Old 07-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nuts. I ain't sharing my Powerball with ANYONE!

(mutter mutter)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman51
I did this spring after some jerks falsified information on evaluations and supervisor too lazy to follow up to verify.* When truth came out, he was too embarassed to admit it.* I decided I had enough.* Sure, would not minded working a few more years under good conditions;* did not want to work one more minute under those conditions.* Not looking back.*
So how is the ER going?* What are you doing all day?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT

* Funny, that's the same reason I throw a $ into the pot when my office buys tickets for the big Powerball jackpots.*
Same reason I did as well (but would refuse to ever buy a ticket on my own).
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spontaneous ER is as fun as jumping out a plane spontaneously.

Airplane....check
Help......check
Parachute.....ummmm
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
So how is the ER going?* What are you doing all day?
Doing just fine and busy as ever, largely doing what I want to do.* Market makes me a little nervous but I can deal with that better than some people trying to make me into something I was not and would not let myself become.
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote