Join Early Retirement Today
Spreading currency risk
Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Spreading currency risk

We are pretty heavily invested in rental property, which I feel good about, income and risk wise. Also have been making some hard money loans on property, but are down to three loans, one of which is looking pretty sour. With the other loans paying off, a small home sale, and a goodly chunk of PenFed CDs we are in the embarrassing position of being way too heavy in cash right now - like maybe 28% of NW. There are worse positions to be in. still. I am very aware of the damage that can be done to a heavy cash position in an inflationary time. It seems to me that "stuff" that increases in value is a good hedge. Not really thinking in terms of art or rare stamps or gold, more along the lines of solid companies in Canada or Australia. Is that best accomplished by buying an international fund? Think we held a Canadian coal mining stock at one point, so investing in single companies is possible? If the value of a US dollar drops vs international does the value in US of the stock go up? We are very light in the market - maybe 6% of our net worth is there - and there are attractions - being able to divest instantly, zero hands on care - but some concerns as well ( proud sellers of GM after it converted to GeeSorry, and still holding BofA). Just kind of musing and looking for thoughts, feeling my way toward how much cash feels good for security and opportunity and where to put the rest for maximum benefit.

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Canadian index? XIU.TO

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NYSE currently lists 71 Canadian companies.
NYSE, New York Stock Exchange > Listings > Listings Directory
A good selection would include at least one of the big five banks (great dividend stocks), mining, energy, commodities and communications. Currency risk is must be factored in and the Canadian dollar is currently almost at par. Based on my own experience and research, here are ten you might want to consider:

Bank of Nova Scotia BNS
Barrick Gold Corporation ABX
Encana Corporation ECA
Goldcorp Inc GG
Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan POT
Rogers Communications Inc RCI
Royal Bank of Canada RY
Suncor Energy SU
Thompson Reuters Corporation TRI
Toronto Dominion Bank TD

Disclaimer: this is information, NOT advice and I take no responsibility for anyone else's decisions. Do your own research.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote