Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No sympathy here either. She could make changes in her life, but CHOOSES not to do so because of "appearances". Screw appearances. She's facing possible financial ruin and she's worried about what people might think?!?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the following photo gallery, she was quoted as saying "I can ride this storm out". Perhaps she is optimistic that her employer will resume giving out big bonus checks? Perhaps a white knight will come to her rescue? Anyway, she does realize that the RE market is tough for her to get out now, so is hoping for a rebound so she can sell?

They might have been living right at the level of their means, but the immediate cause of her predicament was the divorce. She might have done better if she was able to give up the "appearances".

A Tight Grip on the Good Life - washingtonpost.com

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
No sympathy here either. She could make changes in her life, but CHOOSES not to do so because of "appearances". Screw appearances. She's facing possible financial ruin and she's worried about what people might think?!?
I used to feel this way, but finally came to realize that it is as hard for these people to quit worrying about what others think as it is for a alcoholic to quit drinking or the average American to reduce caloric intake. OK, maybe not quite as hard.

I still think it is a stupid position for her to take, but I thank my parents, environment, genes, teachers and whatever else was involved that I do not have the problem of worrying what others think.

My point, I sympathize she has this problem, although it is still hers to fix, not mine.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't move or does not want to move?

126 houses in her town listed on Realtor.Com for less than $500,000.

247 houses within 1 mile of hers listed on Realtor.Com for less than $500,000.

716 houses within 5 miles of hers listed on Realtor.Com for less than $500,000.

52 house within 5 miles for less than $300,000.

Of course, these are not on acreage, and are less than 4000 SF.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Here I am hanging out with the celebrities attracted to my shades:
And, I think they make you look more than 10 years younger!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

According to the US census, the median income for a household in the village was $100,681, and the median income for a family was $118,721.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You would think 300k would be easy even without leaving town.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

from the picture link...Steins's lifestyle was built on the premise of two incomes, not the single paycheck of a divorced mother of three in a recession.

I personally understand what happens when 2 incomes become 1, and I know some of you out there do too.
Life is all about adaption to black swan events. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

No preaching here...but times have changed for this lady. She knows it, but she is not facing it square on. I'm seeing a huge sidestep.
This fact..."vice president at MasterCard's corporate office"...tells me she's no dummy.
I think I figured out why she did the article. Culture's remark about "worrying about what others think" gave me a clue.
"Breaking ranks" is an almost guaranteed path to alienation from the social circle. In a nationally read newspaper, no less. Hmmmmm...the square peg is not fitting into the round hole.
It may be a last ditch attempt to get some help to quiet things down, before she sells and leaves the neighborhood.
Any other guesses?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand why she had to make noise. Why not just leave quietly? But then, I am a private person, and even posting anonymously here was a huge step for me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #29

It seems to me that a large part of her motivation is to keep the affluent lifestlye for her kids. Whether that is practical or reasonable seems much less important to her. Perhaps this reflects her own experiences growing up as a child of affluent parents who lived in a big house herself. If so, she is setting her kids up for the same disconnect between means and expectations that she herself is experiencing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This fact..."vice president at MasterCard's corporate office"...tells me she's no dummy.
Is Master Card like a bank, where everybody is either a VP or assistant VP? (am asking, not questioning).
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #31

Interesting idea. I don't know for sure about MasterCard, but I did a quick look at LinkedIn and found 10 VP titles among the 21 people I found who worked at MasterCard. Seems like there are VPs for lots of specific business areas and regions.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #32

I, too, wonder about Ms. Steins motivations in going public. She is an intelligent woman, does she not think that people will have a hard time having a pity party for her while living as she does? It makes her look foolish and I feel sorry for her children as there will certainly be "talk" in school with such a splashy format for her/their predicament. And I agree with an earlier poster that it is not what you earn, but what you do with what you have.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The statement that got me was
Quote:
As a vice president at MasterCard's corporate office in Purchase, N.Y., she earns a base pay of $150,000 plus a bonus. This year she'll take home 10 percent less because of a smaller bonus. She receives $75,000 a year in child support from her ex-husband. She figures she will pull an additional $50,000 from a personal investment account to "pick up the slack."
So, she is earning 250K and having to make up the 50K differerence. That was the part that I thought was interesting. She not squeaking by, she is living above her means.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It used to be that the highest manager at a branch office of a bank, any of those at street corners, had the title of VP. I don't know if that is true anymore. Her salary of $150K would be OK for most locations in the US, but not enough for that lifestyle where she is.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel sorry for her on one level. Rather than give up her entire former life with the divorce, she's trying to retain as much as possible. I certainly understand that.

But the simple fact is she can't afford it. And the sooner she comes to terms with that the better off she'll be.

I saw similar behavior from my SIL when she divorced - in her case it wasn't about keeping an expensive home, it was trying to remain a stay-at-home mom even though it was obviously no longer workable. It was as if she viewed that aspect of her life as non-negotiable, and simply refused to give it up along with her husband.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

For people who are the subject of this kind of public exposure, isn't there some professional risk as well. For Mr Andrews the NYT financial reporter, not only did he expose his own poor financial judgment, but he also got caught selectively putting spin on an incomplete story, tarnishing his journalistic reputation. For Ms Steins as a VP at MasterCard should she be concerned that such a public display of poor financial decision making could reflect on her professional judgment as well. I don't know the nature of her job, but if she were to make a professional presentation or recommendation about services MasterCard offers I would think her audience would be more likely to dismiss her as the "lady who cannot manage her own finances" after this publicity.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Call me cynical, but I'm hearing a canary singing in a neighborhood that might have things they don't want made public. Remember her neighborhood is full of Wall St and financial types, among others.
Either that or it is a parting shot at her ex or the whole society (divorce is very gauche) or just plain desperation. Her mental load must be overwhelming.
I agree this will affect her professional career in ways she may not have counted on.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
For people who are the subject of this kind of public exposure, isn't there some professional risk as well. For Mr Andrews the NYT financial reporter, not only did he expose his own poor financial judgment, but he also got caught selectively putting spin on an incomplete story, tarnishing his journalistic reputation. For Ms Steins as a VP at MasterCard should she be concerned that such a public display of poor financial decision making could reflect on her professional judgment as well. I don't know the nature of her job, but if she were to make a professional presentation or recommendation about services MasterCard offers I would think her audience would be more likely to dismiss her as the "lady who cannot manage her own finances" after this publicity.

This is kinda what I was thinking.... she is not as bad as Andrew as she has not lied to get a loan, but she is in that she is living above her means which calls into question her decision making ability IMO...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I also think that maybe SHE thinks that she will meet someone who will be that second income.... and all will be good in the world... if she moves and changes her lifestyle, how can she meet the 'right' guy
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I feel sorry for her on one level. Rather than give up her entire former life with the divorce, she's trying to retain as much as possible. I certainly understand that.

But the simple fact is she can't afford it. And the sooner she comes to terms with that the better off she'll be.

I saw similar behavior from my SIL when she divorced - in her case it wasn't about keeping an expensive home, it was trying to remain a stay-at-home mom even though it was obviously no longer workable. It was as if she viewed that aspect of her life as non-negotiable, and simply refused to give it up along with her husband.
You can't force someone to wake up and see the truth. Yes, I know that "truth" is relative, but if most people see something in a similar way, there may be some merit to their perspective. Over the years, I've given advice to several members of my family, most of which was pretty much ignored. I can only imagine how much better their lives would be if they had actually listened to me. Instead, they're facing the same problems today, or worse ones after compounding their original problems with more bad decisions.

In this woman's case, I'd recommend getting rid of the nanny, the gardener and the pool care service. Her eldest child is old enough to perform chores around the house, which may include making lunches for everyone, babysitting his younger siblings, mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool, etc.... At the very least, the mother could hire kids from less than affluent families at a fraction of the cost of a professional. By my calculations, she could save at least $75,000 by cutting back on a few strategic items. She wouldn't have to move, but she might need to put up with a few people looking down on her. Oh the horror.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote