Join Early Retirement Today

SS deductions for expats
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SS deductions for expats

I live in Canada now and intend to spend most of my time in Canada going forward. When I start taking SS at full retirement age, what will the US government deduct from my SS? I imagine they won't deduct anything for Medicare (which I won't need. I will get travel insurance if I travel to the US..)? I know I'll be taxed at a higher rate from the Canada side (Canada exempts only 15% of SS benefits and the rest will be taxed fully), but I wanted to see if there was something else that would lower my take-home pay.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

At age 65, if already drawing SS, they will automatically deduct for Part B (Part A is free). You need to opt out if you so desire. But once you opt out, if at some point you want back into Medicare B, you will pay a penalty on all future premiums.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Are you going to get CPP from previously working in Canada ? If so WEP will apply.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
At age 65, if already drawing SS, they will automatically deduct for Part B (Part A is free). You need to opt out if you so desire. But once you opt out, if at some point you want back into Medicare B, you will pay a penalty on all future premiums.

Thank you for your post. Medicare Part B doesn’t seem to be very high so I might leave that in.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are you going to get CPP from previously working in Canada ? If so WEP will apply.
No, no CPP.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If you anticipate using the US for all your healthcare you may want a Medigap plan, too.

Medicare B rates change based on a formula of COLA, etc. Also those with higher gross income are subject to higher premiums.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you for your post. Medicare Part B doesn’t seem to be very high so I might leave that in.
That way you will always have the option to drive back to USA for some treatment.
Doesn't Canada's heathcare vary by Province you live in ?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Doesn't Canada's heathcare vary by Province you live in ?
That's what I've been told, but I have only lived in Ontario and only for a few years at that, so I have no first-hand knowledge.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
That may or may not be true for residents of North America. In Peru where I live it is different. If you are collecting SS already when you turn 65, Part A is automatic but you have to opt in for Part "b" . You have 8 mos to opt in without incurring the penalty. I have not confirmed it yet, but I have heard that if you move back to the USA in the future, you have 8 mos from the day you land to start part B without any penalty. In my case I will be moving to the USA this year and will opt in shortly before the 8 mos. expires.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote