Join Early Retirement Today

SS Scam
Old 01-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SS Scam

This last week got a call from SS. They told me my SS has been legally garnished because someone has made a claim against me. Anyway it was stated something like that. They said to call a number to get it straightened out.

I called the SS number I had locally and they said, it was a scam call. They have been hitting hard and said they have got a lot of calls from people with the same questions I had. Told me to call SS HOT LINE but waited one hour, I couldn't get on so, I hung up.

Anyone else had a call similar to this?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Anyone else had a call similar to this?
No.

I don't respond to anything from SS or the IRS unless it comes in an "official" envelope via the USPS. All else is a scam.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Did you google the phone number the scammer told you to call? I bet there are websites such as Snopes which have flagged this as a scam.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

SS has very strict guidelines and rarely call someone. A good link to have: https://blog.ssa.gov/is-that-phone-call-from-us/ . Better to assume calls from them are scams.

The IRS never calls you, calls claiming to be from "them" are always a scam.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

They gave us a number to call. I did google the number and it was a scam number and had to same message for them as it was for me.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've had a couple of calls recently from X of the Social Security Administration 'Department' advising that 'your social security has been frozen. The number has been involved in illegal activity and they need us to call to straighten it out,' Yeah, right...SCAM.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yep, same thing they said. I actually was outside and my wife took the call and kind of stopped listening but that was the jest of it. Always somebody after something and up to no good.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #8

SS does not initiate calls BUT they do return calls if you are offered the option for a return call when you make a call.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Notifications like this that are authentic never come in a call.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

SS can't be garnished for common debt but can be for things like federal taxes, student loans and child support.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did get a call from SSA, but it was an interview call, confirming my application info. I believe the online process indicated there might be a call.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I did get a call from SSA, but it was an interview call, confirming my application info. I believe the online process indicated there might be a call.
Yes. Legit. Calls out of the blue about legal stuff, no.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My only concern is if I get a call from the IRS with a question about my tax return (I included it near the signature line), would there be a surefire way to know it's not a scammer? Somehow, the IRS caller would want to verify my identity while I would want to be sure the caller is actually the IRS and not phishing for personal info. Would I simply be better off not including my phone number on my return?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #14

Any contact should be documented through your on-line SS account. Might want to check there for anything.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My only concern is if I get a call from the IRS with a question about my tax return (I included it near the signature line), would there be a surefire way to know it's not a scammer? Somehow, the IRS caller would want to verify my identity while I would want to be sure the caller is actually the IRS and not phishing for personal info. Would I simply be better off not including my phone number on my return?
When I call the bank, they ask me something like, "Give me a date and amount of a recent deposit to your account."

If the IRS calls you and you are suspicious, ask them to give you a few numbers from the form, or better yet, a previous year. It works both ways, right?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I had this type of thing.
I told them, they could be a scammer, so I needed to know they were not as identify verification goes both ways.

They were shocked to say the least, and claimed they weren't allowed to do that.

So I told them, I'm not telling them anything and hung up., Then I called the real number (from my paperwork) to see what the problem was with my account.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My health plan has nurses call you to "help you out." When I got one of these cold calls, I told her I'm not telling her anything unless she could produce data to prove her credentials.

She gave a few details that satisfied me. She was not surprised and actually said she gets that request a bunch.

Now, as for the "help," well, I wish I had that 1/2 hour back. Stuff like, make sure I exercise, eat right, track my blood pressure, etc.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My health plan has nurses call you to "help you out." When I got one of these cold calls, I told her I'm not telling her anything unless she could produce data to prove her credentials.

She gave a few details that satisfied me. She was not surprised and actually said she gets that request a bunch.

Now, as for the "help," well, I wish I had that 1/2 hour back. Stuff like, make sure I exercise, eat right, track my blood pressure, etc.
That was going on around here with some of my retired friends. What the nurses calls were all about was to allow the doctor to bill Medicare for a "short office visit". Kind of a scam of sorts.

One of my friends wasn't home and the nurse left a voicemail saying a few things to ensure he was doing the right things to stay healthy. They billed Medicare for that call, even though he was not there to take it.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That was going on around here with some of my retired friends. What the nurses calls were all about was to allow the doctor to bill Medicare for a "short office visit". Kind of a scam of sorts.

One of my friends wasn't home and the nurse left a voicemail saying a few things to ensure he was doing the right things to stay healthy. They billed Medicare for that call, even though he was not there to take it.
Whoa! Outrageous!

My calls were via Megacorp's plan. Presumably rolled into their admin costs. Somebody always pays for this nonsense.

And I say nonsense because the doctor goes through the same stuff as part of a wellness physical.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

This is all quite shocking. Outrageous!