Join Early Retirement Today

SS Windfall Elimination Provision for early retiree
Old 04-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

I turned 62 earlier this year and have been contemplating whether I will start Social Security. Recently for the first time I heard of the Windfall Elimination Provision. For years I have looked at my annual SS statement or logged on to the ssa.gov to see what my benefit would be for 62, FRA, and 70. I have no pension -- just my savings, investments, and an IRA. I have never worked at a job that did not pay FICA. But, I have just 29 years of paying FICA. Of those 29 years I have 24 years of working full time.

I have read information about the Windfall Elimination Provision in several places, including on ssa.gov, but it is still confusing. Everywhere it says it is meant to reduce the SS benefit for people who have another pension for a job where they did not pay FICA. That does not apply to me, but then when I look at other information it seems to actually reduce the benefit for anyone who has paid FICA for less than 30 years. Can someone please explain this to me. Will my SS benefit be reduced to less than what is shown on my SS benefit report?
tizlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Administrator

You won’t be subject to WEP unless you worked at a job that didn’t pay into FICA but did provide a DB/final salary pension. At least that is how I understand it.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This AARP article explains why you should not be concerned.
Does Receiving A Pension Affect Social Security?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

44 years of labor, not counting paper routes.

Am one of those with FICA work and 17 years of non FCIA gov. work.

The small WEP I will be subject to is a good deal for me IMO, both myself and the employer ( city ) not having to pay the FICA.

Many of my city co workers over the years bitched about the WEP. I sure did not.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alan is correct. The WEP is mainly aimed at federal employees who were under the old retirement system called CSRS. No new federal employees have been hired under that system since 1983 or 84. All federal employees hired since then have paid FICA. There are also a number of municipalities that have defined benefit pension plans that exclude their employees from SS. Generally they still pay the Medicare premium. I believe the number of employees who are under those systems has gone way down over the years.

So, no worries, Tizlo, your SS benefits will not be affected by the WEP. Just keep in mind that your SS benefit is based on your highest 35 years of earnings. Any year that you have no earning is a big fat goose egg - 0 - and that will effect your payment at whatever age you choose to take it.

Eventually, WEP will become extinct as retired CSRS feds like myself shuffle off this mortal coil. Many feds aren't even eligible for SS as they don't have 40 quarters of contributions. I have 17 years under SS from military service and employment after federal service. Since I have less than 20 years, so I forfeit the maximum amount of SS due to the WEP. It's all about the bend points, so I lose about $350 a month. Fair enough as the higher bend points are intended for lower income earners.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

4 states don’t pay into SS. Mine was one of them. If I had 30 years of service it wouldn’t be a big deal but I only had 15. My SS should be 800 but is reduced to 363 due to WEP.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

WEP is simply an equalizing rule that keeps Higher income earners who did not pay much into SS from collecting a benefit as though they were low income earners. ( SS pays a bigger % to low income people, that's the social part of Social Security.)

If WEP did not exist, people who contributed little to SS would be collecting a much bigger portion of the contributions than those who have contributed most or all of their lives. It's really a matter of simple fairness.

From what you describe it does not apply to you.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizlo View Post
when I look at other information it seems to actually reduce the benefit for anyone who has paid FICA for less than 30 years.
No, WEP doesn't do that.

Quote:
Will my SS benefit be reduced to less than what is shown on my SS benefit report?
Possibly, but not because of WEP.

Your benefit report assumes you will continue working until your FRA and continue to earn your current salary.

If you retire early, or if your salary is significantly reduced before you reach 60, the estimate on the benefit report may be higher than what you will actually receive. Since you are 62, your benefit report is likely to be reasonably accurate.

This has nothing to do with WEP (which doesn't affect you).
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
So, no worries, Tizlo, your SS benefits will not be affected by the WEP. Just keep in mind that your SS benefit is based on your highest 35 years of earnings. Any year that you have no earning is a big fat goose egg - 0 - and that will effect your payment at whatever age you choose to take it.

I have not had a year working and paying any FICA for a long time. I FIREd years ago so since then each year my FICA income has been $0.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
I have not had a year working and paying any FICA for a long time. I FIREd years ago so since then each year my FICA income has been $0.
Right.

But you are 62 now, and recently received a benefit statement, right? So they have already accounted for your $0 years and included them in your estimate.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
But you are 62 now, and recently received a benefit statement, right? So they have already accounted for your $0 years and included them in your estimate.

Yes, but in the several websites I read about WEP they said that if you are affected by WEP then your SS benefit statement is incorrect.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Yes, but in the several websites I read about WEP they said that if you are affected by WEP then your SS benefit statement is incorrect.
You aren't affected by WEP.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, from the several helpful posts in this thread I am relieved that I am not affected by WEP. Thank you to everyone! I say again though that in some of the stuff I read the info is rather unclear and spends most of its time talking about people who "have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings" -- which is me. Although it is mentioned about the case of a separate government pension, when they get into the details they only talk about less than 30 years of paying FICA.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html

https://www.fool.com/retirement/gene...provision.aspx

It all just gave me a bit of scare today. Glad to be reassured that I won't be hit after spending years believing that my SS benefit statement and the info on ssa.gov that showed my estimated benefits was true.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

Eventually, WEP will become extinct as retired CSRS feds like myself shuffle off this mortal coil. Many feds aren't even eligible for SS as they don't have 40 quarters of contributions. I have 17 years under SS from military service and employment after federal service. Since I have less than 20 years, so I forfeit the maximum amount of SS due to the WEP. It's all about the bend points, so I lose about $350 a month. Fair enough as the higher bend points are intended for lower income earners.
I think it will be around for awhile yet. There are still thousands of us who have worked overseas who are subject to WEP. Even me and my wife’s UK SS will cause our US SS to be reduced by the WEP since the UK SS is based on a person’s work record. (If you have worked for 40 quarters in the UK you get the minimum UK SS).
Old 04-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I’m one of those affected by WEP as a state (not Federal) employee. It doesn’t freak me out because I understand the reasoning and overlap with pensions.

What was more of a wakeup was that my system also did not contribute to Medicare (that information is provided on your SS summary, whether you have enough credits/quarters to qualify). It was a strong motivator to earn those extra credits through self-employment income with taxes applied. I now have enough credits (40) for Medicare. And am learning about what that means right here.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
What was more of a wakeup was that my system also did not contribute to Medicare (that information is provided on your SS summary, whether you have enough credits/quarters to qualify). It was a strong motivator to earn those extra credits through self-employment income with taxes applied. I now have enough credits (40) for Medicare. And am learning about what that means right here.
That's a BFD.

I too have just enough credits for SS eligibility - which is required for Medicare. That was the last big hurdle to not having to work. Now I'm working on my son. He probably has 6 - 7 years of SS credit (note to self - check), but lives and works abroad. He needs a plan to get to the minimum credits for eligibility.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's a BFD.

I too have just enough credits for SS eligibility - which is required for Medicare. That was the last big hurdle to not having to work. Now I'm working on my son. He probably has 6 - 7 years of SS credit (note to self - check), but lives and works abroad. He needs a plan to get to the minimum credits for eligibility.

It sure is. Glad I worked all those low pay odd jobs, mostly retail. And here I thought it was only to scrape by and meet interesting people!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose if your SS benefit statement is incorrect, they might erroneously think you did not pay into SS when you did. That needs to be corrected, ASAP.

IMHO, I think everybody should be required to contribute to SS and Medicare as long as we believe such programs should exist. The exemption of some from SS is an ongoing source of confusion, and can be harmful to people whose find out late in life that their pension funding is, shall we say, not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #19

In DHs case, he worked for a county agency, paying into the state pension system. He did not pay into Social Security for all those years but he did pay into Medicare. So he is subject to WEP.

You can be eligible for Medicare via your spouse if you don’t qualify on your own record. Correct me on that if I’m wrong on that. I think learned that here on the forum.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sue, I don’t think that’s true.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elimination, provision, social security, windfall