Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Stable value fund security
Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Stable value fund security

When I retired not so long ago I elected not to rollover my Fidelity 401K. One of the main reasons was the "stable value fund" also refered to as the fixed fund. It has paid a fairly consistent interest rate of around 4.5%, which has seemed a relatively good deal in todays market for fixed income. I've got a good chunk of change there. I'm thinking of transfering even a little more into this fund. Does anyone have opinions or advice on the relative security of these types of funds compared to, perhaps a bond rating or other measure of security. As I understand it, the interest comes from contracts with insurance companies and "other" financial institutes, which seems slightly vague and worth questioning these days.
roger r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking at that fund as one of my 401K options, just the other day. I will be interested to read any answers to your questions.

Mike
mike hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this fund available retail, or is it one of the funds Fidelity manages for institutional investors only?

If it's the latter, Fidelity should answer your question about the underlying strength of the insurers they bought the GIC (guaranteed investment contracts) from.

I have no opinion particularly on this investment. Fidelity's 401k 'institutional' offerings, however, make it difficult to compare to any other investment.

-- Rita
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Roger

I had a similar stable value fund at Vanguard with my 401K. When I retired in 2007 I rolled my funds into an IRA to get NCUA insurance coverage plus a little better interest rate.

I was in the stable value fund for many years and it never lost a penny but was not insured either.

Here's a link to the fund I was in along with performance info. It tells some about how the money is invested.

https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/pe/pdfs/F4075.pdf
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Our fixed income part of the AA is in this fund earning 4.5% and a lot in the TIAA Annuity presently earning 5.5%. Cha-ching during crappy times and solid and stable even when your stocks are running. {Actually, we also have begun DCA'ing a bit in a TIPS fund as well}.

To me, bond investing is all about stability and far less about producing a return. Stock investing is where you earn the gravy.
huskerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Is this fund available retail, or is it one of the funds Fidelity manages for institutional investors only?

If it's the latter, Fidelity should answer your question about the underlying strength of the insurers they bought the GIC (guaranteed investment contracts) from.

-- Rita
Rita, I think this isn't availible to retail investors. I was told that if I rolled this over to a Fidelity IRA that this would not be availible to me. I've thought to call Fidelity and ask my question directly to them however I'm not sure how straight an asnwer I would get, as I'd guess they would word a response to make me feel as safe as possible. Incidentally, this isn't like a bond fund as it's one of their objective to maintain a constant NAV which it has done for the last 15 or 20 years. I would assume the risk might be one of their large insurance contractor having financial problems resulting in low NAV?
roger r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As I understand it, the interest comes from contracts with insurance companies and "other" financial institutes, which seems slightly vague and worth questioning these days.
I think most of the interests comes from insurance contracts, which should be fairly safe unless these companies are like AIG.