Join Early Retirement Today

Staggered retirement and RMDs?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Staggered retirement and RMDs?

Hi,
I am 62yo and my DW is 58. I plan to retire in 2020 and my DW likely will work another 3+ years. This means I will be 68 when our work income goes to 0.

I originally planned to start Roth conversions after I retire but, am thinking with her good income (>$120K/yr) I wouldn't get much tax benefit until she retires. Then, I'd only have 2 yrs conversions until RMDs kick in. Maybe just sitting tight and dealing with RMDs isn't so bad.
OF course my wife could start Roth conversions once she retires.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whether and how much to do Roth conversions has to do with early retirement tax rate vs. anticipated tax rate when RMDs happen, when you take SS, how RMD income affects SS taxability, what happens if one of you passes, possible ACA subsidies, and probably a few other factors. Address those things and you'll get more meaningful advice.

RunningBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Hi,
I am 62yo and my DW is 58. I plan to retire in 2020 and my DW likely will work another 3+ years. This means I will be 68 when our work income goes to 0.

I originally planned to start Roth conversions after I retire but, am thinking with her good income (>$120K/yr) I wouldn't get much tax benefit until she retires. Then, I'd only have 2 yrs conversions until RMDs kick in. Maybe just sitting tight and dealing with RMDs isn't so bad.
OF course my wife could start Roth conversions once she retires.

Thoughts?
There is no reason to do the conversions unless the difference in tax rates makes it a win. With the current rates good til 2025, there may be an advantage to doing 2-3 conversions after she retires.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might want to investigate switching your filing status to Married Filing Separately. You live in a non-community property state, so she'd be paying the same as a single person with a $120K income, and you'd have $0 earned income which would let you do some Roth conversions at low rates.

You will pay more tax this way than if you file jointly, but I think it's worth playing with some tax calculators to see how big the effect is.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote