Starter books

OP, a few comments on posts here:

The Four Pillars of Investing by William J. Bernstein
Bernstein, particularly in his early books, ranges between difficult and totally opaque. In the preface to "Rational Expectations" (2004) he says:
"The Intelligent Asset Allocator" ... math and quantitative exposition made it accessible only two classes of readers: finance professionals and scientists/engineers. ... I attempted to remedy that mistake with "Four Pillars of Investing" [but] my friends complained that the math still made their stomachs hurt. ... "
So, caveat emptor -- look for his later books as your knowledge increases. I do like "If You Can" and almost put it on my list, though I warn people that Bernstein is maybe a bit over the top in his insults to the investment industry.

Interesting that no one has mentioned "Your Money or Your Life." It is *not* the best book for investing, but it is a great understanding of what money is, how to use it effectively in your life to match your values and adheres to a LYBM philosophy. To me it is important to understand those concepts and then start to invest wisely as the other resources listed in this thread and the various links are then ways in which to have your money work for your wisely and efficiently.
Agree in concept, though I am not familiar with that book. "The Coffeehouse Investor" somewhat fills that important lifestyle need, though, and even includes a recipe for pumpkin pie (!). Collins "The Simple Path to Wealth" recommended here also takes a crack at this. I did not included it on my list because I think his strategy of saving 50% of income is likely to be off-putting to people. But it's a good book.

... I also liked 'The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need' by Andrew Tobias.
I have this book on the reading list for my Adult-Ed investment class because it seems to be popular. My note says, though: "A quick tour of almost everything you could do, almost none of which you should be doing." YMMV, of course.

Millionaire Next Door is great and basically describes my parents. Both were blue collar workers but bought good blue-chip stocks, held them and reinvested. The kids inherited several million $$.

Most of these books explain how to do it simple. Don't complicate it with all kinds of exotic stuff.

Speaking of Millionaire Next Door, there is an update that is scheduled to be released on October 1st; it is called "The NEXT Millionaire Next Door". Thomas Stanley (author of the original) was sadly killed a few years ago in a car accident. At the time, he and his daughter Sarah were working on this updated version and it is finally coming to fruition. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Sarah and she is as smart as her Dad and this book will undoubtedly be added to list of "best finance books" for beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1493035355/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

Speaking of Millionaire Next Door, there is an update that is scheduled to be released on October 1st; it is called "The NEXT Millionaire Next Door". Thomas Stanley (author of the original) was sadly killed a few years ago in a car accident. At the time, he and his daughter Sarah were working on this updated version and it is finally coming to fruition. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Sarah and she is as smart as her Dad and this book will undoubtedly be added to list of "best finance books" for beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1493035355/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

Thanks. Looking forward to reading this.

Millionaire Next Door is great and basically describes my parents. Both were blue collar workers but bought good blue-chip stocks, held them and reinvested. The kids inherited several million $$.

Most of these books explain how to do it simple. Don't complicate it with all kinds of exotic stuff.

That is just what I'm looking to learn how to do.

OP, a few comments on posts here:

Bernstein, particularly in his early books, ranges between difficult and totally opaque. In the preface to "Rational Expectations" (2004) he says:
"The Intelligent Asset Allocator" ... math and quantitative exposition made it accessible only two classes of readers: finance professionals and scientists/engineers. ... I attempted to remedy that mistake with "Four Pillars of Investing" [but] my friends complained that the math still made their stomachs hurt. ... "
So, caveat emptor -- look for his later books as your knowledge increases. I do like "If You Can" and almost put it on my list, though I warn people that Bernstein is maybe a bit over the top in his insults to the investment industry.

Agree in concept, though I am not familiar with that book. "The Coffeehouse Investor" somewhat fills that important lifestyle need, though, and even includes a recipe for pumpkin pie (!). Collins "The Simple Path to Wealth" recommended here also takes a crack at this. I did not included it on my list because I think his strategy of saving 50% of income is likely to be off-putting to people. But it's a good book.

I have this book on the reading list for my Adult-Ed investment class because it seems to be popular. My note says, though: "A quick tour of almost everything you could do, almost none of which you should be doing." YMMV, of course.

Such great information, thank you! I would love an Adult-Ed investment class.

That book did me more good than all the others combined.

That said, it is terribly tedious to read. I think I am the only person on earth who managed to slog her way through it not just once, but twice, reading every single word both times, slowly, and pondering everything I was reading. Still, I think that doing this permanently installs good, sound investing intuitions and understanding. Or at least, I think it was immensely helpful for me in that respect.

I know Dr. Bernstein doesn't appreciate it any more, at least not as much as some of us do. But I think he underestimates its contribution. It did me a world of good.

That this is a difficult read seems to be the general consensus here. I may have to put it lower on the list!

I started 20 yrs ago when my prior boss gave me The Wealthy Barber. Put me on the right path.

I wish I had taken saving more seriously 20 years ago. I completely relied on my company, thinking that they were taking care of my retirement. I am very lucky to have what I have, but I could be retired now if I had done things just a little bit differently.

I would read the bio on Jack Bogle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle

ogle argues for an approach to investing defined by simplicity and common sense. Below are his eight basic rules for investors:[11]
  1. Select low-cost funds
  2. Consider carefully the added costs of advice
  3. Do not overrate past fund performance
  4. Use past performance to determine consistency and risk
  5. Beware of stars (as in, star mutual fund managers)
  6. Beware of asset size
  7. Don't own too many funds
  8. Buy your fund portfolio - and hold it

That was my favorite book on investing, curious that Dr Bernstein no longer seems to agree with it...

My favorite also--The Four Pillars of Investing. I did really enjoy The Millionaire Next Door but more a book on how to LBYM.

Also recommend Random Walk Down Wall Street and The Intelligent Investor.

That this is a difficult read seems to be the general consensus here. I may have to put it lower on the list!

But the Four Pillars of Investing is SO worth reading!! I think it did more for me than any other investment book that I have ever read. Maybe start it on a day when you have nothing else planned and feel like diving into something deeply.

That was my favorite book on investing, curious that Dr Bernstein no longer seems to agree with it...

I agree with you and W2R on this. For me this was the best book on investing I ever read. Perhaps because of the math. I had the good fortune to have Dr Bernstein autograph both my copy and my local library's copy at a Bogleheads reunion a few years ago.

Could you elaborate? I've never read it, but picked it up at the library the other day (went for Howard Marks The Most Important Thing, and left with 4P as well). But I'd like to know what changes have been with the author's position.

I don't know whether his position has changed as to how one should invest. It seems more that he has changed his mind, to some degree, as to how much regular folk can be educated regarding investing and even moreso how much they can be trusted to 'stay the course' when the bad times arrive. My understanding was that he was disappointed when people pulled out in 2008 and then compounded the mistake by not getting back in. As well he may feel that Four Pillars is too heavy for the average person (even though it was an attempt to write a simpler book after 'The Intelligent Asset Allocator'). Just my understanding. You could go post the question at Bogleheads and he may answer it directly.

Back
Top Bottom