State income tax return question

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired in Thailand 10 years and decided to return to the states. I do my own taxes using Taxact software. Since I have only lived in Georgia 6 months. The rules I read tend to discuss locally earned income (work, rental) between two or more states.
I have two possible issues.
When I came to Georgia, I only got a 6 month lease on a furnished apartment since I wasn't sure if we wanted to stay here. In the mean time, I did get a GA driver's license because I needed it to buy a car. I don't own any real estate property or worked in Georgia. Am I a resident of Georgia now?
If I am a Georgian resident,
Is there an issue when in 2015 I was a resident of Thailand and now I am in Georgia?
My income only comes from investments and savings, so do I divide my 2015 income by either 365 days or 12 months and then multiple either the number of days or months I have lived in Georgia?
Is that they way it is done?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Georgia has a similar form but I am not sure how one divides investment and interest income that are not state specific generated?

My understanding is in Georgia, you divide the income by the percentage of time you lived in Georgia, as you suggested in your Original Post.
This is even when its from outside Georgia.

I did read: $65,000 of retirement income, which includes income from IRAs and 401(k)s, is exempt for those 65 and up.

So it's not all bad.

I would call the Georgia tax office and ask. I looked up the directions online and it looks similar to my state. They seem to want to see tax being paid to another state. They may or may not have an option for another country.
I would think by getting a driving license, you likely declared your residency.
When I was working overseas, I kept my state residency, so we just paid. But this was to keep the residency for college consideration for our children when we returned.
You really need someone who did what you did with your state and likely in recent years.
Call you state tax department. You might even get the right answer. I'm sure others would like to hear the result.

Thanks again for the replies.
Sunset, the 65K deduction was one of the reasons why I chose Georgia.
Bingybear, I plan to call them but I was hoping for a home run here. I don't know they would have an answer to my overseas/state issue. It may not be a normal situation for them.

Back
Top Bottom