Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I like to consider myself semi-retired, as I still do some consulting work on a part-time basis for a few different clients. And I agree -- I am not going to let it get under my skin considering the fairly small amount of money involved. Like I said, it's just galling to be fined for something that I know I did correctly. Ultimately, though, it's probably not worth the time, effort, and aggravation to file all the appeals paperwork.
What if it happens again next year and it's more money? I'd appeal and see whose error it was and try to stop it from happening again.

splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
DW just got a license plate renewal notice in the mail for her Honda CRV - $1650. According to the online calculator it should be $140. Should be an interesting conversation at the DMV.

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #23
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
DW just got a license plate renewal notice in the mail for her Honda CRV - $1650. According to the online calculator it should be $140. Should be an interesting conversation at the DMV.
What? That's one heck of a difference. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yesterday I received an "Official Assessment and Demand for Payment" from my state's Department of Revenue. They claim that I owe an estimated tax underpayment penalty for 2014. After reading through the letter very carefully and then going back and checking my ET payment records, I'm certain that I did pay all est. taxes on time and this is some sort of clerical error.

However... here's the rub. First, the penalty is only for $25. Second, in order to appeal this, I have to compile a bunch of documentation, fill out some forms, and mail all this to 3 different departments via certified mail. The mailing fees alone will be at least $5 or $6, I'm guessing, not to mention the aggravation and time spent compiling the docs and dealing with the post office.

What really irks me is not the $25, which of course is pretty trivial in the grand scheme. It's just the blatant unfairness of it, when I know I've done everything right and shouldn't owe this penalty at all. I have documented proof that I paid all estimated taxes on time, but the appeals process is so bureaucratic and time consuming that it's really not even worth the effort. If I did appeal, it would be primarily to claim a moral victory over an inept government agency. On the other hand, if I just pay it, then I'm essentially supporting these clowns and their broken process which will likely contribute to its continuing to happen to other innocent taxpayers down the line.

Just curious, what would you do in my situation?
If it is legit, I'd pay it and/or send in copies of your previous payments.

Maybe 2 years ago, my state sent me a notice that I hadn't sent in estimated tax payments. I had sent in 4 quarterly checks, and the amounts were sufficient enough to make me worried they didn't get it (like $800 per check). They asked for copies of the cancelled checks, so I went online and downloaded copies of the cashed checks.

Funny how they suddenly resolved the issue after I sent them copies of the checks! I wonder where the money was credited in the state coffers before they agreed I had paid up??
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
TurboTax said I underpaid and added the $10 penalty to my payment to send in. Six weeks later I received a $10 refund from my state. Go figure.

For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote